Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S door handle presents but door wont open when the door handle is pulled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Model S door handle presents but the door wont open when the door handle is pulled. Tesla replaced the door handle 3 times so far, twice with Gen 3 door handles and the issue still persists. Anyone have any suggestions on how it can be fixed? Have appointment on Monday with Tesla again.

No - but lets keep in touch.
I have a 2015. No warranty and I can fix a door handle. Have only had to do the driver's door.
But both my rears are having problems and I fear going to Tesla (because I am cheap).
They have slightly different issues.
Driver side - intermittently, when I pull the exterior door handle, it drops the window and unlatches something but will not open. Even the interior door handle will not work when this happens.
Passenger side - essentially the same thing, but the interior always works.
I still haven't popped the door panels off because intermittent problems are so tough to figure out. In the driver's side (which I have the most experience with), it tends to work after the car has been asleep. So it seems to have some software component.
I don't think the issue is the door handle - which maybe Tesla has finally figured out....

My 2016 Model S door handle presents but the door wont open when the door handle is pulled. Tesla replaced the door handle 3 times so far, twice with Gen 3 door handles and the issue still persists. Anyone have any suggestions on how it can be fixed? Have appointment on Monday with Tesla again.
How sure are you they replaced them with version three handles? The reason I ask is because this was a pretty common failure of the earlier versions of the handle that is caused by the microswitches and little wires that connect them getting pinched inside the hardware. I've year to hear of this failure with the version three handle so this has me questioning if they really did give you version three handles.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I have had both front door handles replaced with the latest models (under warrantee). One for the microswitch and one for the seal leaking and leaving black all over the window. The mobile ranger will do it in your driveway. Both could be repaired by yourself if you can source and solder the microswitch yourself, etc. The new model of the handle does require the car to be reprogrammed to understand the new processor on the door handle.

I had my driver exterior door handle replaced for $405 (I was fearing the original costs of $1K+ that people used to pay...) glad the replace/repair costs are coming down. And yes, got Gen3 and needed reprogramming. Have the 2016 (refresh AP1) MS. Been week+ and handle working great. The mobile tech was quite confident the Gen3s are bullet-proof. Let's hope he is right.

I had my driver exterior door handle replaced for $405 (I was fearing the original costs of $1K+ that people used to pay...) glad the replace/repair costs are coming down. And yes, got Gen3 and needed reprogramming. Have the 2016 (refresh AP1) MS. Been week+ and handle working great. The mobile tech was quite confident the Gen3s are bullet-proof. Let's hope he is right.
I've heard this same thing from Mobile Techs here (Rocky Mountain Region) as well. This is also one of the red flags to me that maybe they didn't install revision 3 door handles even though they told him they did which is why I asked for clarification in post #5.

I have same exact problem 2016 model s as well. Gen 3 handles changed twice, I gave my car for the same problem again to tesla service today, will see what they will say.

I tore apart a door yesterday and it was a microswitch wire. Easy and cheap fix.
Can anyone clarify the generations?
I have a 5/2015 so presumably Gen 2?
At 86k, I have broken the driver door gear. Now I have a broken microswitch wire. Not terrible. But $400 for a bulletproof handle is tempting but certainly don't want any software trouble for it. And it sounds like Tesla hasn't figured out all the issues with putting Gen3 handles in older cars.

I tore apart a door yesterday and it was a microswitch wire. Easy and cheap fix.
Can anyone clarify the generations?
I have a 5/2015 so presumably Gen 2?
At 86k, I have broken the driver door gear. Now I have a broken microswitch wire. Not terrible. But $400 for a bulletproof handle is tempting but certainly don't want any software trouble for it. And it sounds like Tesla hasn't figured out all the issues with putting Gen3 handles in older cars.
I paid 285 for gen 3 door handles just this last April. Not sure why some are being charged 400.

I had my passenger door with the same exact issue as OP. Door handle presents but doesn't open door with pulled.

They did a Gen 3 Retrofit on my door and it has been working since. It was about $285 as others have mentioned.

I think the higher priced quotes some see are when they replaced the hardware along with the circuitry behind the handle.

That video was very helpful.
In the video, it sounds like they sell a better gear and wiring harness but website doesn't show it.
I got a shock yesterday when I was told the new price on the wiring harness from Tesla. They quoted me $22 on the phone and said that it had gone up. When I got there, the new price is $140!
They sold it to me for $40 since I was quoted the old price. For $140, I probably would have broke out a soldering gun. But if electrified garage has another option, that would be the way to go!

Is the $400 Gen 3 price including labor?
Is the "initialization" that they mention a DIY possibility?

At $140 for the wire, changing to Gen3 makes a lot of sense especially at $285.

the $403 was all inclusive, parts, labor & programming...The 3 parts that were used:

1. ASY- FR LH, GEN3 DH, NOGRIP, 2.1 SVC RPL
    Part #: 1135718-S0-ABACK SEAL, DOOR HANDLE OUTER, LH
  2. Part #: 1008999-00-ELED ASY, DOOR HANDLE 3.0 OUTER LH
  3. Part #: 1109173-00-A
The chrome outer handle piece itself was re-used I believe - per Tech.

Last edited:
That video was very helpful.
In the video, it sounds like they sell a better gear and wiring harness but website doesn't show it.
I got a shock yesterday when I was told the new price on the wiring harness from Tesla. They quoted me $22 on the phone and said that it had gone up. When I got there, the new price is $140!
They sold it to me for $40 since I was quoted the old price. For $140, I probably would have broke out a soldering gun. But if electrified garage has another option, that would be the way to go!

Is the $400 Gen 3 price including labor?
Is the "initialization" that they mention a DIY possibility?

At $140 for the wire, changing to Gen3 makes a lot of sense especially at $285.
While I personally haven't had to pay to have this done to verify first-hand, the other people that have posted about this here have stated that the $285 price on the gen 3 handle included labor to install.

While I personally haven't had to pay to have this done to verify first-hand, the other people that have posted about this here have stated that the $285 price on the gen 3 handle included labor to install.
Yes. Ive had 3 gen 3 installed. First one was 485. Second and third were 285 each. All were done at separate times six months or so apart. My 4th door handle fix was only 40 bucks by tesla mobile to replace the paddle gear. Tech said it was already updated but didn't specify 2nd or 3rd generation.