Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S door handle presents but door wont open when the door handle is pulled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What door handle? My driver side rear handle had this exact issue. It’s the wiring harness in the rubber boot at the front door. If you mess around with opening and closing the door at different widenesses you may find a sweet spot where the door will open.

My Model S has had the door handles fail many times. Three times in the past 15 months alone. The same door handle that failed 15 months ago is failing now. I have an extended service agreement that I paid for and despite that, Tesla is charing me the $200 "deductible" to fix the handle that they fixed 15 months ago. Apparently that's not that far short of the full price others have paid. Tesla has become the most anti-customer company I know of. I prefer dealing with the DMV as they're easier to get on the phone and at least don't smile while they're treating me like garbage.

Last edited:
My Model S has had the door handles fail many times. Three times in the past 15 months alone. The same door handle that failed 15 months ago is failing now. I have an extended service agreement that I paid for and despite that, Tesla is charing me the $200 "deductible" to fix the handle that they fixed 15 months ago. Apparently that's not that far short of the full price others have paid. Tesla has become the most anti-customer company I know of. I prefer dealing with the DMV as they're easier to get on the phone and at least don't smile while they're treating me like garbage.

Did you ask them what the warranty for the repair was? I think they give a year for warranty repairs (may be only a few months the way they keep making warranty related items worse though) but you may be outside of that either way. Sucks but it is what it is. May have some ability to get them to "good will" a repair/replacement but it's not something they have to offer so ask nicely being sure to point out how loyal of a customer and devout Tesla cult follower you have been.

I know it doesn't help much but that $200 ESA deductible is per visit so make sure you have them repair everything that you can at once. We recently did this with an ESA car and it's $200 whether they fix the door handle or the door handle, MCU, headlight, side mirror, other door handle, hatch shock, etc. Better wait until you need several things and do them all at once if it's a door handle you don't use super frequently.

Depending on which door handle failure you've had specifically, I've even been known to use a piece of tape to sort of rig it to use for months to get by. If it's the one where the gear breaks inside and you can hear the motor running you can pry the handle out with a credit card or some sort of soft plastic (to not damage the paint) and then pull the handle once out to open the door. If this is the failure consider yourself lucky because the band-aid fix is almost literally a band-aid. You can even use clear packing tape doubled over itself to leave a small grab handle on the front of the handle. When you walk up, all you do is pull that to both "present" the handle and open the door. If you have the micro switch, harness or any other failures this may not work for you.

Sucks but it is what it is. May have some ability to get them to "good will" a repair/replacement but it's not something they have to offer so ask nicely being sure to point out how loyal of a customer and devout Tesla cult follower you have been.
And there in lies the issue and why I, after 8 years of being an evangelist for Tesla, hate this company passionately. "Good will" is a thing of the past with them. Despite the fact that the $200 charge was never mentioned for seven years, despite that the same part broke just 3 months past the 12 month period, despite that the deductible is almost as much as the full price of the fix, no matter that everyone I speak to there says "yeah, that's not right- If I could do something I would"... ultimately their answer is "well we can legally charge you and so we're going to do it". Tesla no longer has any long term interest in pleasing its customers or and real pride in its product. Yes, they have a legal right to charge me. Luckily, I have a legal right to buy a Lucid Air and take my passion from evangelizing for Tesla to letting everyone I know that if they need a new car, steer clear of this anti-customer company. They literally don't take phone calls, they don't have a method to escalate issues and they will ding you for every charge they can, no matter how petty.

it's $200 whether they fix the door handle or the door handle, MCU, headlight, side mirror, other door handle, hatch shock, etc. Better wait until you need several things and do them all at once if it's a door handle you don't use super frequently.
And by the way, only with a Tesla would there be an expectation that if you just wait a short time to fix one issue, you'll probably need five other things fixed too.

And there in lies the issue and why I, after 8 years of being an evangelist for Tesla, hate this company passionately. "Good will" is a thing of the past with them. Despite the fact that the $200 charge was never mentioned for seven years, despite that the same part broke just 3 months past the 12 month period, despite that the deductible is almost as much as the full price of the fix, no matter that everyone I speak to there says "yeah, that's not right- If I could do something I would"... ultimately their answer is "well we can legally charge you and so we're going to do it". Tesla no longer has any long term interest in pleasing its customers or and real pride in its product. Yes, they have a legal right to charge me. Luckily, I have a legal right to buy a Lucid Air and take my passion from evangelizing for Tesla to letting everyone I know that if they need a new car, steer clear of this anti-customer company. They literally don't take phone calls, they don't have a method to escalate issues and they will ding you for every charge they can, no matter how petty.
I have only owned my teslas for a couple years so I don't have the same experience that you do. I do agree with you on a few points but as far as my experience goes they have taken care of me on several occasions where I should or could have been charged more or even charged at all. They do need to improve on several fronts but we should not expect them to cover items that are out of warranty. They are a business and need to make money so its to be expected that they dont cover every part that fails out of warranty just like other manufacturers do. It does seem to be a hit or miss depending on where you live and what sc you visit.

They recently made some changes to their website, but actually, EV Tuning is the official parts store for the Electrified Garage, but their websites seem to be recently unlinked for some reason...

Here's the Model S door handle parts section.

Thanks for the info. Those prices are not for the faint of heart. I realize they are shooting to make better than original but $80 for a part that Tesla charges like $15 for is a bit rich. The originals aren't that bad and once you have done it once, you can do it again in an hour or two.
And $500 for an original door handle when you can get a Gen3 for less from Tesla - seems like a crazy option.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
My 2016 Model S door handle presents but the door wont open when the door handle is pulled. Tesla replaced the door handle 3 times so far, twice with Gen 3 door handles and the issue still persists. Anyone have any suggestions on how it can be fixed? Have appointment on Monday with Tesla again.
Did they check the male receptacle for the handle? for me the wires came out and looked like they were in because of the little orange things around the wires going in the male receptacle

I am going to bump this thread because I'm having the same issue. 2014 S85. Not sure which gen of door handle - I guess I have to tear the whole door apart to figure out?

Are there any fixes without having to break down the door? Somewhere I can squirt WD40? :p

1632892912636.png

“Generally” as in there is still a 1 in a million chance? ;)

But yeah WD-40 is definitely not going to solve the issue. You can rebuild it yourself or pay Tesla to do it for around 250 -300 unless of course you are close to electrified garage they could do it for you.
I intentionally used the word "generally" because if I made that a definitive statement w/o that word someone would have come along and argued rotary volume knobs that have static when turned can sometimes be fixed with it or something crazy & non applicable like that. It is the internet after all.