TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2016 Model S Headlights

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SimpleRadio2, Sep 20, 2019.

1. SimpleRadio2

SimpleRadio2 New Member

I am thinking about buying a used Model S built in 2016. However, I have read several reviews saying that the 2016-2017 LED headlights are not great... Can anyone comment on this?

The car has the Premium Upgrade Package and LP02 exterior lighting package. Would this car include the dynamic/cornering LEDs, or did that come later in 2017 models?

Thanks!

Picture of headlight below
    [​IMG]

FG02 Exterior Lighting Package
    LP01 Premium Interior Lighting
    ME02 Memory Seats
    PA00 No Paint Armor
    PI01 Premium Upgrades Package
    PS01 Parcel Shelf
    TP03 Power and Lighting Package
    X001 Override: Power Liftgate
    X007 Daytime running lights
    X021 No spoiler or passive spoiler
    X037 Powerfolding Mirrors

2. S-ALSET

S-ALSET Member

The lights are just OK. The previous HID 2013-2016 pre-refresh headlights have a higher light output.

3. nguyentoogood

nguyentoogood Youtuber / Engineer

They aren't that great. I drove a loaner and it was terrible and the pattern wasn't uniform at all.

Driving with the fog lights on does help this issue to a degree and also reaiming the headlights

4. too much vtak

too much vtak what the frunk?!

I have 16 MS 75 without premium package (no fogs) and I retrofitted fogs a while back. The fogs made a huge difference when I combined re-aiming the headlights.

5. Twells1

Twells1 Member

I just picked up a 2016 MS 75D and would be very interested in retrofitting fog lights. I tried searching the forum, is there a thread on this.?

6. IchDochNicht

IchDochNicht Member

You will find better high-end options in some high-end cars. But when aimed properly, the standard Tesla LED headlights are pretty good. I appreciate the turning lights.

If you add fog lights when it's not foggy, you create a very bright area right in front of your car. Your eyes will adjust to this bright area, which reduce your ability to see further ahead, where the light is weaker. If it starts to rain, oncoming traffic will see the reflections of 4 lights, meaning they will see 8 lights shining towards them.

7. Twells1

Twells1 Member

I am mostly wanting the light bars and cornering lights for the added look. Found the thread here on EBay part #s and install plus SC activation. Going to give it a whirl. This forum is great!

8. Aggmeister2010

I have the factory LED headlights in my car, and frankly I think they're great. The output is pretty strong, and while they don't have a super sharp "cutoff line" like you get from projectors, they're not lacking in visibility in the city, freeway, or country roads.

They look better too. I wouldn't worry about it.

You should also have fog lights and the turn lights - my 2016.5 has them both.