Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S p90d - production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.
Does anyone know how many 2016 model s p90d was built world wide?
I cannot find much on the market?
Is it a collector car? I see a lot model s but can't find any p90d on the used car market?

I'm curios how many were built?

People that are saying that this car isn’t a collector are being short-sighted. Cars often become collectors decades after their initial release.

I’m no expert, but there’s potential for the 2016 P90D to become a collector in the distant future. It was the first Tesla to come with Ludicrous mode, becoming the first mass-produced car to bring supercar speed and performance to the masses at a reasonable price. Combine that with its low production numbers ( the P90D was a mid-year build) along with the cult of Tesla powering it, I would say there’s a solid chance it becomes significant as a collector.

People that are saying that this car isn’t a collector are being short-sighted. Cars often become collectors decades after their initial release.

I’m no expert, but there’s potential for the 2016 P90D to become a collector in the distant future. It was the first Tesla to come with Ludicrous mode, becoming the first mass-produced car to bring supercar speed and performance to the masses at a reasonable price. Combine that with its low production numbers ( the P90D was a mid-year build) along with the cult of Tesla powering it, I would say there’s a solid chance it becomes significant as a collector.
Keep that faith, brother. That decades-old non-functional battery pack will make for a killer museum piece!

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Exactly why you never ever see a car older than 10 years anywhere on the face of the earth. lol
Welcome to the new world order. Electrification and the ever-increasing evolution of cars into computerized smart phones is fundamentally altering the practicality of long-term ownership and usability in that “collectible” sense.

Will there be exceptions? Of course - I imagine we’ll see a boutique support ecosystem and collectibility of Tesla Roadsters far into the future. But if you think any random P90D is going to hit that threshold of support, enthusiasm, and deep-pocketed owners with the passion necessary to keep them on the road instead of just upgrade to the P160D when it comes out, and the P170D after that, and the P180D after that, we’re gonna have to go ahead and part ways there.

A P90D is not an investment. Or at least not a winning one. Neither is an iPhone 4S.

Last edited:

The 90 battery packs were junk when they came out and are not going to age like fine wine.

Also, the P85D was the first Ludicrous vehicle available.

That is like saying a 2012 Model S is going to become a collectors item. It’s 10 years later and I promise you, it will not.

Welcome to the new world order. Electrification and the ever-increasing evolution of cars into computerized smart phones is fundamentally altering the practicality of long-term ownership and usability in that “collectible” sense.

Will there be exceptions? Of course - I imagine we’ll see a boutique support ecosystem and collectibility of Tesla Roadsters far into the future. But if you think any random P90D is going to hit that threshold of support, enthusiasm, and deep-pocketed owners with the passion to keep them on the road instead of just upgrade to the P160D when it comes out, we’re gonna have to go ahead and part ways there.

A P90D is not an investment. Or at least not a winning one.
It doesn't matter, they're still cars. And if we're all right about the importance of Tesla decades from now then all of the early & significant versions of these cars will be collectible. The only thing on debate will be how questionable which will dictate value.

It doesn't matter, they're still cars. And if we're all right about the importance of Tesla decades from now then all of the early & significant versions of these cars will be collectible. The only thing on debate will be how questionable which will dictate value.
I guess we’ll leave it at that. Please do look me up in the distant future when these “significant” cars that were produced in the tens/hundreds of thousands start transacting on Barrett Jackson for many multiples of their original MSRP. I will eat my crow and buy you a beer. ;)