Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S purchased with FSD get free camera upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI all...

I saw in previous threads that older Model S's originally with AP2 and purchased with FSD still need camera upgrades to run the FSD beta.

Well, I paid for the MCU2 upgrade and got the AP3 computer also, but my cameras are the original ones still. Can I schedule a free camera upgrade anytime with the service center? Or do I have to be QUALIFIED for FSD Beta before they will give me the upgrade? It seems like they are not opening new slots for the FSD beta now, but I would really like full color cameras all around for my dashcam and sentry mode.

So can I request the upgrade with the service center even though I am not actually on the FSD beta yet? Anyone know what the exact requirements are to get the camera upgrade?

Reactions: pilotSteve
You can start by initiating a mobile service request for camera replacements. I was able to add that to my upcoming warranty recall (hood latch) and they added it (after two rounds of back and forth). Hopefully they actually DO it on Tuesday!!

You can start by initiating a mobile service request for camera replacements. I was able to add that to my upcoming warranty recall (hood latch) and they added it (after two rounds of back and forth). Hopefully they actually DO it on Tuesday!!
Did you get invited to have your cameras replaced or get invited to the FSD beta? Or did you initiate the camera replacements yourself with no contact from service center?

I had both my upgrade to MCU2 and my AP 3 done in January. I asked about the camera upgrade then, and they seemed unsure at the service center. Finally, they told me that would have to be a separate process. Two months later and no invitation for a camera upgrade has arrived. I'm not even sure how to schedule one. I would have expected they would have been able to replace the cameras since there were relatively few cars that are eligible (some 2016s and early 2017s). I will try to manual request for the cameras via the app, as someone suggested, to see if that gets anywhere.

I spoke with a Tesla Ranger yesterday. He said that, once my VIN comes up, I will be "invited" by email for the cameras upgrade. At about the same time, the app will add the cameras as an upgrade option. I am Canadian, and guessing that this will be a many month long wait.

Update: NOPE the “recall” service consisted of opening then slamming the fronk closed and verifying it latched. THAT WAS IT! No tire pressure check, etc.

I asked if he was going to replace cameras as I requested, he said “no you have to be invited first” and left.

Update: NOPE the “recall” service consisted of opening then slamming the fronk closed and verifying it latched. THAT WAS IT! No tire pressure check, etc.

I asked if he was going to replace cameras as I requested, he said “no you have to be invited first” and left.
I think it depends on the SC: my frunk latch check was done by myself (thanks whoever posted the procedure!) but I endured a 300 mile round trip just to get the paperwork in case anything every happened. They checked the tyre pressure and topped it up for me.

May 2017 Model S .... I scheduled the MCU2 and HW3 upgrades, along with frunc check. When I arrived at reception, they advised FSD about to go up in price, I decided to purchase. Then the replacement camera item came up on the invoice as a $1300 item. I deleted that as I knew it was supposed to be free. This was an error, as the reception told me it often does that for free stuff but then auto corrects during the service. I went back another day for the camera exchange. All went well, no issues. (Ontario, Canada). I did not have to wait to be invited.

May 2017 Model S .... I scheduled the MCU2 and HW3 upgrades, along with frunc check. When I arrived at reception, they advised FSD about to go up in price, I decided to purchase. Then the replacement camera item came up on the invoice as a $1300 item. I deleted that as I knew it was supposed to be free. This was an error, as the reception told me it often does that for free stuff but then auto corrects during the service. I went back another day for the camera exchange. All went well, no issues. (Ontario, Canada). I did not have to wait to be invited.
Hey there, I'm in Canada with a 2.0 Autopilot cameras X that needs the camera upgrades too. Can you confirm that you have received the camera upgrade in Ontario already? I'm only asking because the official tesla service page still has no mention of camera replacements for Canada so I'm a little anxious they may pretend there's no such thing in Ontario.

(You don't have to answer) Which service center did this upgrade if you're comfortable sharing

Hey there, I'm in Canada with a 2.0 Autopilot cameras X that needs the camera upgrades too. Can you confirm that you have received the camera upgrade in Ontario already? I'm only asking because the official tesla service page still has no mention of camera replacements for Canada so I'm a little anxious they may pretend there's no such thing in Ontario.

(You don't have to answer) Which service center did this upgrade if you're comfortable sharing
Hi, was 225 Wyecroft rd, Oakville, Ontario service center. They are only free if you are on MCU2 and HW3 (i.e. the paid infotainment upgrade) and paid FSD. Yes, I have them, they seem to work fine, dashcam working with better colors etc. Also Beta Safety Score enabled.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have HW3, Full FSD paid for, and car currently at SC for MCU2 upgrade. I did ask about the cameras and was told that I should get the email shortly after upgrading to the MCU2.

Don’t feel bad… no one (maybe except one guy) has received FSD Beta after the camera upgrade anyways… this is probably how my buddies and I would run the FSD program if we had no help and ran it out of our garage, so I pass no judgement, but we should expect more than that, right?

HI all...

I saw in previous threads that older Model S's originally with AP2 and purchased with FSD still need camera upgrades to run the FSD beta.

Well, I paid for the MCU2 upgrade and got the AP3 computer also, but my cameras are the original ones still. Can I schedule a free camera upgrade anytime with the service center? Or do I have to be QUALIFIED for FSD Beta before they will give me the upgrade? It seems like they are not opening new slots for the FSD beta now, but I would really like full color cameras all around for my dashcam and sentry mode.

So can I request the upgrade with the service center even though I am not actually on the FSD beta yet? Anyone know what the exact requirements are to get the camera upgrade?
I know I’m a little late to the party, but … I got tired of waiting for an invitation to have my 2017S refitted with complimentary camera upgrades, so I just scheduled the installation from my app. Low and behold, I received a confirmation that my cameras will be upgraded later this month. I’ll keep y’all posted. 😎

Reactions: Michelx
I know I’m a little late to the party, but … I got tired of waiting for an invitation to have my 2017S refitted with complimentary camera upgrades, so I just scheduled the installation from my app. Low and behold, I received a confirmation that my cameras will be upgraded later this month. I’ll keep y’all posted. 😎
Did you talk to a human and they confirmed that your vin is available for the upgrade. I’ve been scheduled then cancelled 5 times. I keep getting told “yeah we will upgrade them” the. “Oh, we are sorry, but your vin will get an invitation when your vin is in the batch for the upgrade”