Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, brianman. That makes perfect sense. If someone finds themselves in group 1a when a refresh is announced (that they want), what are their options? Cancel the order and lose their deposit?

I was faced with that dilemma. Better to order now, or wait for something better? There is no right answer, only one that you can live with. For folks ordering about 3-4 weeks ago, there were indications that a change was afoot, such as deals "as long as you took delivery in the first quarter." I opted to go ahead and finalize my order. In the time since then, not even one month ago, new standard wheels were announced, and a new model has been hinted (100D). I choose to keep the order, and know that the car is only going to get better and better regardless of what I do. My threshold was the autopilot. Once announced, it was "good enough." Decide on your rate limiting decision, and go for it. Change will always be incremental, so it will always be better if you wait. Will it be perfect? Never! Perfect is the enemy of the good, as they say. I'll take really really good now over perfect at some point in the future!

Historically, Tesla has used the notion of "old pricing" and "new pricing". When "new pricing" is announced (either at a press release or Design Studio, or both), customers that haven't yet taken delivery are generally bucketed into three groups:
1. already configured but not delivered
2. "in the middle of configuring"
3. haven't configured yet

By default, group 1 gets the old pricing (that they configured with). Some customers try to "call Tesla back" and request the new options and pricing. The answer is usually one of: (a) too late it's already too far in the production queue, (b) you can change it with a $500 change fee for X more days, or (c) you can change it for free for Y more days.

Group 2 has access to both old and new pricing for a limited time with no penalty. After that time passes, only new pricing is available.

Group 3 only has access to the new pricing.

At least that's my recollection and summation of the pattern I've seen since late 2012.
Thanks, brianman. That makes perfect sense. If someone finds themselves in group 1a when a refresh is announced (that they want), what are their options? Cancel the order and lose their deposit?
Pretty much, yes. If I was in that position, I would definitely have an "e-mail conversation" in a bit of depth to make sure there weren't any better options offered or negotiable.

Definetely waiting - almost ordered a month ago after a test drive (mostly for autopilot) but hints of something happening are plenty (we already got new wheels and console since then). Would rather pay higher price for more in two weeks if the upgrade is significant.

There's also the option of placing an order with deposit this week (perhaps 3/30 or 3/31) to lock in current pricing, noting the advisors are saying a price increase is coming in April, and setting your delivery out a few months. You have a week to cancel and get a full refund on your deposit -- or I suppose to transfer to a different, new configuration. Almost makes me think about putting a deposit down on both an S and a 3 on the 31st, and then decide in the next week which to keep... Or do you think Elon would reveal the 3 on Thursday night and then wait a week or two before they announce the price increase on the S? That probably wouldn't go over well with this group.

That's more or less what I've ended up doing, not entirely by choice, but it's OK. Basically my order has to process by the end of March to avoid losing the $5k deposit, but for whatever reason, the actual lock-in date will be April 2, so hopefully something will get announced at the M3 launch (although I doubt it, they want the limelight for the new car). Either way, I'm going to defer delivery until May, so it gives a bit more time for the magic to happen. I do think that the new wheels and center console are indicative of a larger facelift coming up, but who knows when. Mostly likely it'll just start happening as stock depletes on various parts, and then they'll make the facelift announcement.

. I do think that the new wheels and center console are indicative of a larger facelift coming up,

But don't you think that if TM really was planning a refresh/facelift very soon, that they'd save up all these incremental changes and announce them all at once?

I don't believe for a second that they "ran out of stock" of the old stock 19" rims and were "forced" to start offering the Slipstream wheels which were ostensibly slated for a refresh.

But don't you think that if TM really was planning a refresh/facelift very soon, that they'd save up all these incremental changes and announce them all at once?

I don't believe for a second that they "ran out of stock" of the old stock 19" rims and were "forced" to start offering the Slipstream wheels which were ostensibly slated for a refresh.
Maybe. I don't think it's something as simple as just 'running out', and maybe this is the 'norm' for Tesla, where new stuff just shows up as a drip feed rather than a one-time facelift. Just seems like there's a few 'significant' things brewing that Tesla could easily spin as a facelift....100Kwh, lights, AP2.0, vented seats etc. And I find it hard to believe that Tesla doesn't want to align the face of the car to match the X, and presumably 3.

Since we have a week to cancel any order, I'm thinking about placing my order on the 30th. If there are no changes, I've locked in the price. If there are changes, I can cancel my order.
This is exactly what I did. I just ordered earlier for sentimental reasons (same date as my first order in 2013). I just requested delayed delivery so it wasn't in production yet. Hopefully I'll be lifting the delay after today!

So the word on the street is:

Refresh of some kind mid to late April.

LED lights, front more similar to Model 3 than anything else. Tweaks to rear lights. BUT front changes would be in the injection moulded portions only (Not the metal) hence technically possible to retrofit.

Interior gains vented seats from X.

Reactions: gsxdsm
So the word on the street is:

Refresh of some kind mid to late April.

LED lights, front more similar to Model 3 than anything else. Tweaks to rear lights. BUT front changes would be in the injection moulded portions only (Not the metal) hence technically possible to retrofit.

Interior gains vented seats from X.

This is exactly the same that I've heard.