Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look closer to the side mirrors

Hmm...It seems like those cameras are facing forward rather than backwards. So it's more likely that they are part of an upgraded autopilot sensor suite rather than part of some sort of new digital rear view system.

I can't help think of the prototype that was spied with the Lidar in that same position. Which you can find here. Elon said no to Lidar, so I'm not saying it is Lidar, just that it might be some new autopilot sensor.

• Love
Reactions: Saghost and gsxdsm
The cameras would be a cool addition! Have the side mirrors "removable by the user". :)

I do not like the new nose. And that's not because I didn't think it would actually happen.

I also hope there's some way to remove it or access the area behind it for installing radar detectors or the front camera kit.

I wouldn't recommend that. Cops already write tickets for too much tint. I imagine "missing side mirrors" would quickly become a nice little profit center for CHP.

Jeep people lose their mirrors when they take the doors off, I'm not sure how often they get ticketed for missing mirrors but they do recommend a kit to mount the mirror off the door.

• Funny
Reactions: Rad18
Here's a contrary (and probably wrong) prediction - the cost of the S will go down slightly, even as the battery capacity goes up, as they will also announce that new batteries for the S will be produced at the Gigafactory.

Here's a contrary (and probably wrong) prediction - the cost of the S will go down slightly, even as the battery capacity goes up, as they will also announce that new batteries for the S will be produced at the Gigafactory.
Sadly, no. They need to maintain current costs (and possibly raise them) to keep the lights on - as it is, they're losing money on each vehicle sold and gigafactory won't help much until it's scaled up quite a bit.