Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what do you do if you are supposed to take delivery in the next week or two? If there are massive changes are you better off forfeiting the $2,500 deposit and ordering over?

it depends on if you care about resale value. Whenever you go to sell you car people are going to ask and or want all the new stuff. If you car does not have it you will most likely take a small hit.....more than normal. But who knows if an update is coming, it's all speculation. But when Tesla employees say a price increase is coming that usually means upgrades.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Just quoting this, just in case.

;)

This is starting to sound like all the rumors and speculation that surround any Apple iPhone release... where one little tidbit is posted somewhere, and then every news outlet else picks it up and writes a story as "real news".

And then none of those speculations actually come true.

Sounds like you need to be reminded of your own two words:

Confirmation Bias.... ;)

Reactions: ikjadoon and gsxdsm
I know, it's crazy. I'm supposed to pick up my S next week (has the new console and wheels) but now wondering if I should just eat the $2500 deposit and order over if the advancements are spectacular. If it's just a new front end and ventilated X seats that's not a huge deal (although I would rather have them!) The problem is if I start over and they deliver in June, then with my luck they will start adding autopilot 2.0 hardware in July! I might as well just get the damned car!

• The most immediate change, according to our sources, will be a slight visual refresh on the nose.
  • It won't look exactly like the Model X or Model 3, we're told, but it will bring the car closer to the frontal treatments of those cars.
  • LED headlights will also provide a cleaner look up front, while some additional paint colors will join the configurator.
  • On the inside, the Model S will move to the same front seats found in the Model X, meaning ventilation will be an option.
  • The car will receive some new interior storage compartments, including pockets in the door -- an addition current owners will appreciate.
We're told that Tesla is cleaning out the last of the previous generation's production parts now and that the refreshed Model S could debut as early as next week. Our sources say a price increase will come with these updates, but the amount remains to be seen.

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon and DÆrik
I know, it's crazy. I'm supposed to pick up my S next week (has the new console and wheels) but now wondering if I should just eat the $2500 deposit and order over if the advancements are spectacular. If it's just a new front end and ventilated X seats that's not a huge deal (although I would rather have them!) The problem is if I start over and they deliver in June, then with my luck they will start adding autopilot 2.0 hardware in July! I might as well just get the damned car!

hmmm rumor mill a humming
Upgraded Tesla Model S rumored to arrive next week

So what do you do if you are supposed to take delivery in the next week or two? If there are massive changes are you better off forfeiting the $2,500 deposit and ordering over?

It's a tough choice honestly. You can choose to take delivery and live with the Classic model (which is AMAZING) or risk the rumors being right, lose the $2500 and order again to get the new changes.

Depends - how will you feel in a month when everyone is taking pictures and talking about the "new Model S" - will you feel sad? Can you afford the $2500 loss? Do you trust the rumors? If the answer is yes, then take the loss. If the answer is no, take delivery and enjoy the best car ever made.

Bit off topic, but pretty cool to know Tesla has finally spread to the heart of the country. Don't see Nebraska members on here too often. Are they delivering your car straight to your home?
Yes they will. This will be my second model s. There are at least 75 or so here in Omaha and we have a super charger station. Also tesla ranger in town that is fantastic. Hopefully soon we will see more charging station between Omaha and Denver!

Also from my front door to the store in Kansas City it is right at 2 hrs so not bad even to make it to show room or service center.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I don't think they're delivering any cars with the refreshed look or features to customers yet. If you're in production now, you're likely getting the "classic" version. You will have to change your order to get the new features/look.
I had ordered in Late-Feb, however, during my enquiry about the 6 week postpone of delivery, the Sales and DS told me that some new features would include to my car, as it just started production in Early-Apr. Seems like several changes for Model S from March, i.e. Slipstream Rim, Front Console included, etc...

Aesthetically, I don't think it will be a major "blow" to current Model S owners. We already know what a Tesla will look like in 2-3 years -- a Model 3 -- and that looks about 90% like the current Model S. So this design is going nowhere. I've already gotten used to the lack of nose cone on Model X in comparison to the S; I'm good with that... The no nose cone look is not that different if you currently have a black or dark car with the black nose cone.

Feature-wise, I don't think AP 2.0 is ready and they've only just made the center console standard so they would not just switch that out with a brand new design. LED headlights would be awesome but I hardly noticed the change when BMW changed they're xenons to LEDs (on the 5-series for example). The X seats are also awesome, but to me the biggest change in seats was the change to Next Gen design.

I personally think adding a couple of new wheel designs, like what we've seen on Model 3, and maybe a couple of new int/exterior colors, eg a brown cinnamon leather or matte gray exterior, would go a long way in making the Model S even more desirable. We'll see.

Yeah, I'm not sure about plunking down that kind of money for what is now be called the "classic" model before it even leaves the store. I also won't get the $1,200 referral because I need to pick up the car by April 15 to qualify. I wonder if they will wait until after the 15th to announce the change. So total penalty would be $3,600 plus any price change.