Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did he mean:

1. Don't worry about the changes, you will get them
2. Don't worry about the changes, you are locked into the car as specced and designed and won't get new changes
3. Don't worry about the changes, there are none

Can you clarify what he meant?

A lot of folks with open reservations would be very interested to know if its 1 or 2.

If it's 3, then this is the first Tesla rep that has said anything other than "we don't comment on rumors or speculation". A flat out denial would be...interesting to say the least.

For my case in Hong Kong, when I saw the delivery date postpone for 6 weeks, I had made a call to my DS and try to get a cancellation as my ordered car still not in manufacture. However, the salesperson called me and simply told me that there are some new features would be include to the car, and which is really worth to wait instead of cancelling the order or consider an inventory car.

Which convince me that, there may be a refresh for vehicle manufacture after Apr 1, would have those new feature, however, the salesperson would not confirm or deny any new features, just mentioned that I would have a big surprise when delivery.

P.S. Model S 90D (RHD), ordered Feb 25, confirmed Mar 3

Reactions: g211 and gsxdsm
Thanks, mine is 1333xx, non-US order, confirmed Mar 10.

Delivery dates in EU configurator jumped at the end of January (28-29th) from March to Late May / June, so probably this was the point of change for EU orders.

the salesperson called me and simply told me that there are some new features would be include to the car, and which is really worth to wait instead of cancelling the order or consider an inventory car.
Great!

I ordered my MS two days before the M3 event and selected May 1 as the delivery date at suggestion of my rep. I only wanted the refresh and also wanted to be in the owners queue for the M3 as the line at my store was 5+ hours long and I had to be at work that day. Puts me behind the other owners but in front of the masses for M3. I was told if anything changes in the next few weeks, I could pay the $500 change fee and reconfigure my MS and that I'd have to pay any additional costs for the price changes in addition to the change fee. I would also lose my $1200 referral credit as I wouldn't be taking delivery "before April 15". My Tesla page has been blank until today. Today it was updated today to show a VIN number for my car and an email contact for any delivery questions but no estimated delivery date yet. It also says that I have 6 days to refer someone else and get a referral credit for them.

Almost identical scenario for me too. Now playing the waiting game....

Till we see the refresh nobody knows but just basing it on the announcement which did say there were retractable rear cup holders and that's not the case with the center consoles people have been receiving

But that was pretty obviously just bad phrasing. It meant that there were cupholders at the "rear" of the front console, i.e. rear in the sense of the bit that's furthest away from the driver, towards the front of the car. Just like the "rear" of my desk is the bit furthest away from me that I have to stretch forwards to reach.

OK look, a thread saying the Model S will have a refresh.,.... LOL Guys, TESLA is so tight lipped about everything, anything said is speculation.

Just do a google search on the Model 3 prior to launch... Look at all of the "trusted" news site updates... Everyone was 1000% dead wrong.

The Model S refresh will happen when TESLA says it happens.

OK look, a thread saying the Model S will have a refresh.,.... LOL Guys, TESLA is so tight lipped about everything, anything said is speculation.

Just do a google search on the Model 3 prior to launch... Look at all of the "trusted" news site updates... Everyone was 1000% dead wrong.

Today or tomorrow :)

We don't care if the rumors are wrong, and we don't care if they have been posted multiple times. We just need to see a thread about refresh stay at the top of the forum. Then one day it will become real!

• Funny
Reactions: gsxdsm
Interesting how when the Model X was revealed there was so much hate for the duct-tape "mouth" on the front now so may want the same front to go on the Model S...

Anytime anything changes, there will be people complaining about it. I remember when the Bangle designed BMW's first appeared, people were going on about the apocalypse, and how this was going to drive BMW out of business. A few years later (and after nearly every other manufacturer adopted similar design elements), the world didn't end and BMW designs are as popular as ever - and the pre-bangle designs look ancient.

I wasn't sure about the new nose 'look' when I first saw it on the X in pictures, but after seeing it in person - I really like it. I've learned to not judge a design from pictures. The actual design in person (with better appreciation of proportion, perspective, etc) is very different. Some cars look better in person, others not so much.

I think some of the 'hate it' echo chamber went away after people started seeing it in person. I'm sure there are also some people that approached it with an open mind and really didn't prefer it, and that there is also some resolution of cognitive dissonance going on.... 'I got what I got, it's better anyway.' People are interesting creatures :)

One thing that's becoming more clear is that this is Tesla's design direction. From day one, there were some people that felt like the black nosecone was a needless throwback to ICE cars - no function for that form on a BEV.

The other impact is the impact on the vehicles delivered now. So if I pick up my new "non-refreshed" Model S this week, the research I have recently done shows that the value of my "new but not updated" vehicle could be impacted by 5% to 10% by a new model refresh on the outdated ride. This is why typical car dealers discount last year's model, but Tesla gets away with it because they are constantly updating. It seems like a good investment then to forgo the $3,700 (deposit plus $1,200 incentive) rather than lose and additional $5k-$10k+ that impacts the resale value of the "classic" model. It's kind of like heading out to the Apple store to pick up your new iPhone 6 on the day they begin distributing the iPhone 7 at the same basic price. Don't get me wrong, I am still strongly considering moving forward anyway because I love the way the car looks now and not sure I want to wait two more months for the re-order, but definitely something to think about. If they had just been able to get the car to me earlier, I wouldn't have time for this much rumination on a message board!! Ah, first world problems.

^^^^ Agreed, it creates a serious logistical headache for Tesla. The only way they could avoid it is to ensure that all Model S's delivered after the update is announced are "refreshed" models. This would require Tesla to have been making them with the update for the at least the last few weeks. This is possible based upon the photo posted here, but I still find it highly improbable.

Elon is planning a mid day conference call to give updates on the company today:

Stocks jump and oil bounces as Russia sees flat output

"Tesla (TSLA) added 2.2% ahead of a midday conference call with investors to give "an update" on the company. The automaker recently announced it had received 325,000 pre-orders for its latest vehicle, the Model 3. The vehicle reservations amount to $14 billion in implied future sales. The new model, which will not be out until late 2017, sells for $35,000, appealing to a wider market than Tesla's more expensive vehicles."

Agree with the above...

The past options of allowing owners to go with pre and post announcement is a logistical nightmare for a manufacturing company.

As tesla grow they will rely on the just in time system... This means they won't hold more than days or week of inventory at any given time.

Easiest way is to just give everyone all the upgrade who's car has not been manufactured and it would seems ideal it would be any car before announcement.

This is a just in time manufacturing and just in time delivery system... If the above isn't the case it simply implies tesla parts are stored at the manufacturer and some how they are able to manage all parts at equal number for the upgrade...

If you were management, why bother?

I don't see any updates on Mytesla yet, so it's going to be interesting. I'm going with a lease this time around, so if the timing doesn't work out right, I still have the 90 day option to return, so I'm not too concerned. If the photo way up in the first post is actually the facelift, then I think it'll work out fine.