Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, no. They need to maintain current costs (and possibly raise them) to keep the lights on - as it is, they're losing money on each vehicle sold and gigafactory won't help much until it's scaled up quite a bit.
Tesla is not losing money on the S and X at all!
They are rather burning all profits in expansion, new stores, SC's, gigafactory!
According to Elon S and X owners are the ones that make the 3 possible - so that means they are making quite the profit

Reactions: MrBoylan
Tesla is not losing money on the S and X at all!
They are rather burning all profits in expansion, new stores, SC's, gigafactory!
According to Elon S and X owners are the ones that make the 3 possible - so that means they are making quite the profit
Look at their earning reports vs their total expenses. Yes they are. While you and I would view it as progress, that's what most investors (particularly bears) care about. They're not going to scale back their profit margin (which is being fully burned through) now, ahead of their biggest product launch yet - which they still will likely need to raise capital for.

They hardly retrofit anything (as a 2013 P85 owner, I know... No folding mirrors, no parking sensors, no autopilot, etc.)

Not true. I retrofitted folding mirrors onto my S85 2013. Also could have done next gen seats. But then just got new car. The Cool part of the nose upgrade is that it doesn't look to affect any of the aluminum parts. Hence quite likely could be a retrofit. Seats if they are available will almost certainly be retrofitable.

Not true. I retrofitted folding mirrors onto my S85 2013. Also could have done next gen seats. But then just got new car. The Cool part of the nose upgrade is that it doesn't look to affect any of the aluminum parts. Hence quite likely could be a retrofit. Seats if they are available will almost certainly be retrofitable.
They won't do any new AP 2.0 hardware retrofits (if it involves extensive wiring/new mirrors, front mounted camera, new grill, etc.) - quote me.

Also, they told me no on the folding mirrors at two service centers. When did you get it done?

Look at their earning reports vs their total expenses. Yes they are. While you and I would view it as progress, that's what most investors (particularly bears) care about. They're not going to scale back their profit margin (which is being fully burned through) now, ahead of their biggest product launch yet - which they still will likely need to raise capital for.
You are correct that they are losing money - due to infrastructure and production expansion.
You are incorrect that S is not profitable - they are burning those profits

Reactions: pgiralt and Yuri_G