Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just about ready to make my big purchase but can't help feeling that something is around the corner for the Model S. There have been rumors of the 100D and a facelift among other things. Right now, I'm waiting until the Model 3 is announced just in case something for the S is announced at the same time. If nothing happens then, I'm not sure if I'll pull the trigger or wait a little longer. I'd really like to get the refreshed looking S or the updated battery.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I cancelled my order with one day left a few weeks back and since then they added the rims I wanted and the center console I wanted. I don't know what else they will add but at this point it only makes sense to wait for the 31st or maybe even a couple weeks after and see if Musk has anything to add for the Model S.

I also think I need to see the Model 3 to know if I want a base Model S and to lease or buy.

Yes, there are changes coming but the price is also going up. No idea what the changes are or what the price increase will be but many folks have heard about a price increase coming in April. I don't think Tesla would just randomly jack the price without adding new stuff (especially since Model 3 will undoubtedly cause some folks to wait, if Model S gets even more expensive without new features it will cause even more to wait).

So if you like what you see now I would jump and lock in the lower price. But you could always wait until the Model 3 reveal where many expect the new Model S stuff to be revealed but you may end up paying more. No free lunch :)

I have a car in production right now. I wasn't going to get a 100D even if it were available and the center console is too minor of a change to bother me. There will always be something just over the horizon or just around the corner.

Now, if they do AP 2.0 hardware and/or a facelift on the front end/nosecone then I might feel a small pang of buyer's remorse. But my opinion is that the AP 2.0 hardware is less likely because of how recent the first Model X deliveries were and how unhappy many of those owners would likely be to not get that new hardware in their $140k vehicles that are supposed to be at the cutting edge of what Tesla can offer. But maybe that tech is already being built into production vehicles and they'll just "turn it on"? In which case I'm probably fine since my car is being built right now.

So if you like what you see now I would jump and lock in the lower price. But you could always wait until the Model 3 reveal where many expect the new Model S stuff to be revealed but you may end up paying more. No free lunch :)

Since we have a week to cancel any order, I'm thinking about placing my order on the 30th. If there are no changes, I've locked in the price. If there are changes, I can cancel my order.

Yep I'm waiting. A lot of folks on the forum will say "you'll be waiting forever buy now" but there is clearly something very soon.
Yeah, that is one of the most over-used quotes around here.

I'm not going to wait forever...just until they have the features that I want. I've pretty much given up on the X due to the 2nd row seats. I'll definitely be putting a deposit on the 3 but may end up transferring both deposits to an S.

3pq5si3q7
[img=http://s27.postimg.org/3pq5si3q7/2x_WV9_Ym.jpg]
Looks pretty sweet.

I'm waiting also. Logic tells me that making the front like the X and incorporating other pieces to maximize commonality like the front door interior panel would lower production hassles and costs. So I am expecting that. The X is just too big for me but an included console, door pockets, and extra range of a larger battery would make me "jump". A sensor suite upgrade would be nice but not required since I don't commute anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: Soundchasr
Same boat...I cancelled (postponed) my order a couple of weeks ago. No smoke without fire, and there sure seems to be more smoke than usual. I'm with Soundchasr, I'll be at the 3 launch, so will see what comes of that in terms of 'one more thing' announcements (hey, you never know!), and then lock in. even then, since it'll be a lease this time I have the 30 day option if I don't love it, right?

In this case, how does Tesla handle change fees? Imagine some of the option groups are reconfigured and the base price of the car goes up.
Historically, Tesla has used the notion of "old pricing" and "new pricing". When "new pricing" is announced (either at a press release or Design Studio, or both), customers that haven't yet taken delivery are generally bucketed into three groups:
1. already configured but not delivered
2. "in the middle of configuring"
3. haven't configured yet

By default, group 1 gets the old pricing (that they configured with). Some customers try to "call Tesla back" and request the new options and pricing. The answer is usually one of: (a) too late it's already too far in the production queue, (b) you can change it with a $500 change fee for X more days, or (c) you can change it for free for Y more days.

Group 2 has access to both old and new pricing for a limited time with no penalty. After that time passes, only new pricing is available.

Group 3 only has access to the new pricing.

At least that's my recollection and summation of the pattern I've seen since late 2012.

• Helpful
Reactions: chipmunk