Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 model S secret tow hook compartment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just discovered a secret compartment on the bottom right side of my 2016 MS trunk. My car has the subwoofer so I previously thought that area was completely filled with the subwoofer. But there seems to be a small empty space with a triangle that doesn't have any other purpose. So I am guessing this is an intended place to store the tow hook since these specific models/years dont have a specific place to store the tow hook. And the triangle is there to prevent the tow hook from moving into the trunk.

Is it a bad idea to store the tow hook there? Could it cause problems?

I just discovered a secret compartment on the bottom right side of my 2016 MS trunk. My car has the subwoofer so I previously thought that area was completely filled with the subwoofer. But there seems to be a small empty space with a triangle that doesn't have any other purpose. So I am guessing this is an intended place to store the tow hook since these specific models/years dont have a specific place to store the tow hook. And the triangle is there to prevent the tow hook from moving into the trunk.

Is it a bad idea to store the tow hook there? Could it cause problems?

Odd. Mine was in the Frunk when I took delivery.

Odd. Mine was in the Frunk when I took delivery.
Mine was in the frunk as well when I got the car. I will move the tow hook to the frunk, but i am still glad i discovered this "secret" location. I can hide valuables or totally legal stuff there :oops:

The storage place right below the screen is also kinda secret. It took me a while to discover that location after getting the car 😆

Just store it where you want. Specific cutout for it in the frunk as others have stated, but as long as it doesn’t fly around in your “triangle area” you’re fine.
The 2016 MS doesn't have a specific cutout for the tow hook anywhere. So I was afraid of rattling.

Last edited: