Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S subframe cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 tesla model s with 87 k miles was rattling at speeds over 60 and swaying. Initially the service center it was a tire and alignment issue. We got new tires and the alignment fixed but the issue persisted. I took it to get checked again and now they tell me that the driver side subframe is broken. The car is behaving like this without any accidents or incidents at all.
Has anybody else faced this issue? It seems ridiculous that the subframe collapsed at 87 k miles.
The tesla rep told me that
‘A number of factors such as driving habits, road conditions etc can cause the subframe to snap where the link connects to. Based on the mileage of the vehicle and the information obtained by both myself and the technician this is not a faulty part and will be a customer pay item. Thanks.’
I have attached the photos first one is the passenger side which is intact and the second one is the driver side.

Attachments

• DC98BDA6-6025-42D5-820F-D3CE8F794AE5.jpeg
    DC98BDA6-6025-42D5-820F-D3CE8F794AE5.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 910
  • E9ADF010-A83E-4D68-80FC-8A89CF2E430A.jpeg
    E9ADF010-A83E-4D68-80FC-8A89CF2E430A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 659
Subframe and control arm failure on the same side? I mean, it’s reasonable to think that either the subframe failure created stress on the control arm and caused it to eventually fail, or an impact at some point affected both components.

Either way, I’d push to get it resolved under the same insurance claim.

Reactions: DavidB
Upvote 0
Three subframes in, I can tell you how common this is. Many manufacturers over the years had identical issues and did not cover. Tesla will not cover this. Still love Tesla?

All Model S rear subframes will break. My experience has been that once it breaks and starts handling crazy, you need to park it. All that added stress on aluminum arms will make quick work of your components. I ended up replacing pretty much everything that had a bushing or ball joint after the third subframe because even with alignment it never felt right. It still doesn’t, tbh.

Upvote 0
Three subframes in, I can tell you how common this is. Many manufacturers over the years had identical issues and did not cover. Tesla will not cover this. Still love Tesla?

All Model S rear subframes will break. My experience has been that once it breaks and starts handling crazy, you need to park it. All that added stress on aluminum arms will make quick work of your components. I ended up replacing pretty much everything that had a bushing or ball joint after the third subframe because even with alignment it never felt right. It still doesn’t, tbh.
Do you still have your car? Why mot sell ot at that point then? I just boyght a 2013 model s and prayinn for no issues

Upvote 0
Do you still have your car? Why mot sell ot at that point then? I just boyght a 2013 model s and prayinn for no issues
Where would I go from Model S? :)
My P85 has had following since 2018:
2 battery packs
2 drive units
2 rear subframes
Driver’s seat
Replaced MCU1, getting recall upgrade emmc next

my biggest gripe? Tires. I’m in the garage until 9/8 waiting for two dws06+ tires that are unavailable anywhere before then. Which is okay. But the fact that I had a double flat from a pothole again and again and again. The car is just so heavy. Anyway. I love the car after all these years. My wife tried the i3, then the Bolt, next she wants a Tesla. The other brands just don’t have compelling offerings vs Tesla.

Upvote 0
Where would I go from Model S? :)
My P85 has had following since 2018:
2 battery packs
2 drive units
2 rear subframes
Driver’s seat
Replaced MCU1, getting recall upgrade emmc next

my biggest gripe? Tires. I’m in the garage until 9/8 waiting for two dws06+ tires that are unavailable anywhere before then. Which is okay. But the fact that I had a double flat from a pothole again and again and again. The car is just so heavy. Anyway. I love the car after all these years. My wife tried the i3, then the Bolt, next she wants a Tesla. The other brands just don’t have compelling offerings vs Tesla.
I agree, just got both my rear changed, still love this car to death.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Upvote 0
Explain to me how it’s “negative” to advise someone not to ride around in a damaged vehicle?

Oh wait…you have the Tesla with the indestructible battery. So your subframe must be indestructible as well.
@Sanderpman12 Yeah…or just keep downvoting. You are clearly not her to engage in conversation as you claim.

You’re here to troll.

Upvote 0

Hi Boston, Thank you for your post. I have a 2015 MS 85D with about 52K miles. Am I doomed to have this failure at some point. Kind of a scary this will eventually happen. Will I definitely know when it happens?

Upvote 0
It’ll have a clunk while accelerating or letting off typically. the swervy disconnected sensation on the freeway isn’t always a subframe of course, though it seems it can be. Could be suspension components, alignment toe, and so on. While getting an alignment you could ask the tech to inspect rear subframe for cracks. But mine have all just clunked and immediately the car felt broken.

Upvote 0