Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S subframe cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 tesla model s with 87 k miles was rattling at speeds over 60 and swaying. Initially the service center it was a tire and alignment issue. We got new tires and the alignment fixed but the issue persisted. I took it to get checked again and now they tell me that the driver side subframe is broken. The car is behaving like this without any accidents or incidents at all.
Has anybody else faced this issue? It seems ridiculous that the subframe collapsed at 87 k miles.
The tesla rep told me that
‘A number of factors such as driving habits, road conditions etc can cause the subframe to snap where the link connects to. Based on the mileage of the vehicle and the information obtained by both myself and the technician this is not a faulty part and will be a customer pay item. Thanks.’
I have attached the photos first one is the passenger side which is intact and the second one is the driver side.

Attachments

• DC98BDA6-6025-42D5-820F-D3CE8F794AE5.jpeg
    DC98BDA6-6025-42D5-820F-D3CE8F794AE5.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 903
  • E9ADF010-A83E-4D68-80FC-8A89CF2E430A.jpeg
    E9ADF010-A83E-4D68-80FC-8A89CF2E430A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 653
You never owned an E46 M3, then. And BMW never issued a recall or goodwill voluntary initiative. Just search “rear subframe failure” and every link will be about E46’s.

Tesla will never do anything about this. But they know about it. Hell, all service centers keep them in stock!
@BostonBurley You called this, mostly. ;) My local service center doesn't stock Model S rear subframes "because of their size." Strong hint that they would if they had space! They seemed very familiar with the failure, the tech who first checked on the car instantly knew the rear subframe was cracked after watching and listening to the car roll a few feet.

What did subframes run price wise? Were they covered under full warranty or battery/drive units?
If I recall correctly Tesla service charged me a bit over $3k last year for rear subframe replacement on a RWD Model S (parts and labor). Unfortunately I'm not finding the invoice PDF at the moment, shame on me for not filing it properly.

It was the first and so far only rear subframe failure/replacement our Model S has gone through. The roads around here are not gentle, the original 21" wheels couldn't take them (cracked), so I guess we got solid miles and years out of the original subframe given how frequently it sounds like they fail for some. I didn't know it was a common failure on these cars until it happened to ours and the Tesla techs made it clear they're extremely familiar with it.

As @ucmndd said the subframe won't be covered under the drivetrain warranty. My car was completely out of warranty anyways, but I'm certain that a subframe would not fall under "drivetrain" category.

Upvote 0
As @ucmndd said the subframe won't be covered under the drivetrain warranty. My car was completely out of warranty anyways, but I'm certain that a subframe would not fall under "drivetrain" category.

Furthermore the car doesn’t have a “drivetrain” warranty at all. It has a “drive unit” warranty - as in one specific part. This is something that trips a lot of people up and leads to unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: doubleshot
Upvote 0
Here is a video that shows how Gruber repairs the subframe:

Also to note that they don't think it is a design issue. (Though they do improve on the design with their repair.)

For those of you that didn't watch the video, Gruber's welder said they've on seen this problem twice. He thinks it's a metal fatigue issue due to owner abuse.

The owner of the car admits he floors it every time when taking off from a light, the car has 182k miles on it and he put 100k miles in the last 2.5 years.

Upvote 0
What did subframes run price wise? Were they covered under full warranty or battery/drive units?
Battery and drive units were covered under warranty.
Rear subframe damage was discovered when they were replacing my rear drive unit, so no service fees and part was $1590.
Another time out of warranty I got a rear subframe used and had a shop install it. They did more harm than good, and I still paid $1400 in the end. Best to go somewhere that knows Tesla and takes time to torque properly (underweight of car). My shear plates were even bolted in so when I left the shop the sound of bolt threads clicking in and out of a thin metal shear plate sounded horrific. But it’s that kind of stuff that’s worth a few hundred extra. Truly.

Upvote 0
For those of you that didn't watch the video, Gruber's welder said they've on seen this problem twice. He thinks it's a metal fatigue issue due to owner abuse.

The owner of the car admits he floors it every time when taking off from a light, the car has 182k miles on it and he put 100k miles in the last 2.5 years.
Chaz the welder has his mind made up, but an engineer knows better. Also, he’s so dismissive to this being an issue whatsoever. In his world it’s only happened twice and therefore “maybe 1-in-1,000 will see this issue”. I’ve seen it three times, Dr. Chaz. There’s a stack of broken tab RSF at the local Tesla repair shop in Alhambra. A STACK.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Did not know this was so common. Dang it I love my Model S. I guess no car is perfect.

Clean break on my sub-frame while driving at 70 MPH on the high way. Not even sure how I got it home. I just thought it was the wind...but the car was super hard to drive...keep straight on the highway. Praying I didn't mess anything else up. This has got to be some kind of recall on this...so dangerous. I am at 130k miles now. Yes I drive my S a lot. Since 2018 I have put about 80k miles on it. But i am also the guy that tries his best to not hit any pot holes on the road. But yes our roads in MD suck.

Upvote 0