Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Touchscreen Black - Won't Reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After searching around, I found the various reboot processes and tried them out to get my touchscreen to turn back on, but none of them worked.

Currently, my car is sitting in my garage, a/c is running and won't shut off. I spoke to Tesla roadside and service. They set me up with a mobile service appointment for Tuesday, which is fine. However, I am worried about the a/c running non-stop like this.

-car is able to drive
-car is able to charges
-just no touchscreen
-no voice commands either
-car doesn't connect to app

Would there be any damage done to my car if it is left with the a/c blowing until my Tuesday appointment? Any ideas on how to manually shut the entire car off until my appointment date?

Thanks in advance!

After searching around, I found the various reboot processes and tried them out to get my touchscreen to turn back on, but none of them worked.

Currently, my car is sitting in my garage, a/c is running and won't shut off. I spoke to Tesla roadside and service. They set me up with a mobile service appointment for Tuesday, which is fine. However, I am worried about the a/c running non-stop like this.

-car is able to drive
-car is able to charges
-just no touchscreen

Would there be any damage done to my car if it is left with the a/c blowing until my Tuesday appointment? Any ideas on how to manually shut the entire car off until my appointment date?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting - the same exact thing happened to me this past Friday. I couldn't get anything to play in the 'infotainment' system (FM, Spotify, etc) and did a reboot to see if that would fix it. Instead, the MCU never came back. Now I have an appointment for Wednesday and the car is sitting in the driveway with the A/C running full blast, no way to turn it off.

My car is a late 2015 S 90D and fortunately I purchased the extended warranty when the 4 year warranty ran out. Anyone have advice regarding negotiating a newer version of the MCU? I'd planned on purchasing the 'upgrade' once available anyway - maybe I can get it at a reduced price now, unless that's all they are using to replace failed 1st gen MCU's.

-car is able to drive
-car is able to charges
-just no touchscreen

Thanks in advance!

Our MTU stopped working too. Ranger couldn't fix. Our 2015 Model S still would drive so I went to the nearest service point. They said, bad news, needs replacement. Good news they could do in a day, and gave me a loaner. Done. Cost $2100. Ouch. Out of wty. BMW and other car experiences led me to ask: 1) are you putting a new MTU in? 2) please give me the old one. Assume $2100 this would be ok. Wrong on both counts. They were selling me a used "trade in" MTU at "discount price", yes really, and for that price they required me to trade in my MTU. Without trade in the used MTU they said would be over $2600. Really. So now they have my MTU and $. Ok, happens. Except. Our old MTU gave us over 280 miles top up range and 260 regularly at 90% full as recommended. Seemed reliable to plan by. The new one gives us 200 miles full, 170 at 90% or 35% less. We do a lot of long distance driving. Assuming those miles work the same, that means at least one more stop per day, maybe two and an extra day driving NY to Fla. mmm noticeable plus over $2k for 35% fewer miles per top up??. Why?

Our MTU stopped working too. Ranger couldn't fix. Our 2015 Model S still would drive so I went to the nearest service point. They said, bad news, needs replacement. Good news they could do in a day, and gave me a loaner. Done. Cost $2100. Ouch. Out of wty. BMW and other car experiences led me to ask: 1) are you putting a new MTU in? 2) please give me the old one. Assume $2100 this would be ok. Wrong on both counts. They were selling me a used "trade in" MTU at "discount price", yes really, and for that price they required me to trade in my MTU. Without trade in the used MTU they said would be over $2600. Really. So now they have my MTU and $. Ok, happens. Except. Our old MTU gave us over 280 miles top up range and 260 regularly at 90% full as recommended. Seemed reliable to plan by. The new one gives us 200 miles full, 170 at 90% or 35% less. We do a lot of long distance driving. Assuming those miles work the same, that means at least one more stop per day, maybe two and an extra day driving NY to Fla. mmm noticeable plus over $2k for 35% fewer miles per top up??. Why?

I think you mean MCU (not MTU)
your concern about range has nothing to do with MCU - seems to me that you had not been receiving updates due to failing MCU. When you got new MCU, you got software update and then your battery was crippled by software (look up "batterygate"). None of this is OK, but all of this is unfortunately common for older S's

Reactions: Akikiki