Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S - trade in choices

Option for trade-in

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
The time has come to move on.

I'm sure some of the regulars from here will be happy to see me go for my openly voiced, mostly negative, opinions on many aspects related to Tesla. Glad I can make your day a little brighter :)

In all seriousness I don't dislike everything about these cars, I am going to miss autopilot with all the party tricks and the smooth quiet hard acceleration. I do plan to keep an eye on Tesla and I'll be happy to jump back in the future if they get their act together and more things change.

Now, a very short backstory about my car. It's a 2016 facelift red multi coat 75D, with 49k miles on it and 2 more years of Tesla pre-owned warranty remaining (I got it in December 2019 with 43k miles so the warranty is good for 50k miles on top of that). It has the PUP option and that's about it. No sunroof, no cold pkg, no high fidelity sounds pkg. I have to consider myself lucky as it really is in great shape, no squeaks, no rattles, it is uncorked (4.2s 0-60 acceleration). No accidents, no chips in the windshield, some minor chips on the front bumper. No ppf.

Edit: some more relevant info: no free supercharging, yes free unlimited connectivity (I don't know if it transfers). The EMMC daughterboard recall was done at Tesla (they replaced the part a few months ago). MCU1, I did not pay for the upgrade.

You'll notice that I did not list private sale in the poll. For now, I do not want to do that (I don't want to deal with strangers, low-ballers, back and forth, potential scammers, etc)
I'm prepared to not get the absolute top value but I would like some opinions on what other options I may have.

I haven't got quotes from the mentioned places yet but I will, so we'll know where we stand. For now the only offer I'm waiting for is from the dealer where I'm planning to purchase a new car. I should get their offer very soon. This would be the easiest way to trade it in as it will also help offset the tax on the new car. For the other dealers to make sense, I would need to get at least $2-3k more than the dealer to cover the tax deduction difference.

So I guess the main question here is, if any one of the mentioned dealers from the poll stand out as the obvious choice or I should just get quotes from all and go with the one where I get most value. Any other options besides these? Should I avoid any of these in particular?

Last edited:
:oops:

Just did the usual online forms for Vroom and Carvana. Got some insanely different results.

Carvana is $34,380
Vroom is $45,000

If I didn't make any mistakes and the one from Vroom is real, I'm 100% taking it. There's no way the dealer will offer me this much... on the other hand, crazy times, I'll wait for his email too.

Actually I may have done something differently between the two, for Carvana's form there was a place where I could mention there are some small rock chips on the front bumper. For Vroom I don't recall having a place to mention this. Surely this can't make that much of a difference.

Carmax doesn't do the appraisal online, after I put the VIN, it just says rare car and they want to see it in person.

To be continued.

This may not be the ideal place to ask but I'll try. Once I drop off the Model S at the dealer, how do I get it removed from my account? Do I need to call Tesla or does the dealer handle this? How do I make sure they won't start using it and charging it using my credit card from file, for example?

Another "Great news!" I finally got to drop off the Tesla at the dealer today. They wrote me the same 42k offer as we discussed in December, which with the tax offset on the new car, lands me right at about 45k. This is completely mindblowing to me considering that I paid 44k exactly 2 years ago when I bought it from Tesla. The market is completely crazy nowadays.

I have to admit I was a bit sad on the drive to the dealer today. There are parts of the Model S I really loved and I'm going to miss. On the other hand, the sadness went away as I repeated to myself all the things I don't like about it and when I reminded myself what new car I am getting.

Reactions: David29
One more data point for those following, the car is already up for sale at the dealer.

To summarize, I bought it from Tesla as pre-owned in December 2019 for $44k, I got $45k value for it as trade-in and the dealer sells it for $50k.

1641855072476.png

So I have a Dec 2016 facelift MS w/ high fidelity sound system, MCU2 upgrade, FSD (HW3 upgrade), sunroof, 25k miles, unlimited supercharging, unlimited cellular data. How much do you think I can get for that on the sites you mentioned?

So I have a Dec 2016 facelift MS w/ high fidelity sound system, MCU2 upgrade, FSD (HW3 upgrade), sunroof, 25k miles, unlimited supercharging, unlimited cellular data. How much do you think I can get for that on the sites you mentioned?

Is it also a 75D? With your specs you should get more than I got for mine. With this market it's hard to estimate. Try a vroom appraisal. It's online, free and quick. You won't get too many spam emails from them after. I'll guess $47-48k :)