Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X 60D battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do be aware that the battery has likely degraded a little. You will almost certainly get less range than a new MX75D is supposed to have. For instance, when I upgraded my Model S, I ended up with 249 mi Rated Range rather than the expected 259 miles.

Definitely less range than a new 2018 pack. However, the software limited 60 used the bottom of the pack. So, while still a 2016 pack, it should be better than the average 75kWh from the start pack.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Well they're no longer certified, just pre-owned from Tesla directly. I'm also not aware all CPOs were upgraded to 75Ds. But all remaining new inventory 60Ds were automatically upgraded to 75Ds about mid 2017 prior to sale.

There are no 60D's, either Model S or X, that can't be upgraded. There were RWD Model S cars with 60 kWh batteries that can't be upgraded, but no dual motor models.
If you buy it via CarGurus, etc. does Tesla care? I mean, will they charge more to do the upgrade and uncorking? I know some ICE dealers were like this, they wouldn't really go above and beyond if there were rattles, etc. on non-CPO vehicles, i.e. zero "goodwill" repairs/replacements.

If you buy it via CarGurus, etc. does Tesla care? I mean, will they charge more to do the upgrade and uncorking? I know some ICE dealers were like this, they wouldn't really go above and beyond if there were rattles, etc. on non-CPO vehicles, i.e. zero "goodwill" repairs/replacements.
I have no experience that would allow me to answer whether Tesla would refuse to upgrade a 60 kWh battery to 75 kWh if it we're purchased from a dealer. They do not allow an extended warranty to be sold in that case. It doesn't make sense that they would go through the expense to put in untapped battery capacity, then refuse to allow someone to pay them for it.

But businesses do things all the time that don't make sense

I assume this isn't free, correct? And if not, is there a set price for all SCs?

That’s correct. They were upgraded and the upgrade fee was tacked onto the car. The set price to upgrade from a 60D to a 75D is $4,000 last time I checked on a MX. $2,000 on a 60D.

Tesla would not refuse a software only upgrade. It doesn’t cost them a thing. It’s all done over the air, no SC trip needed. You log onto your Tesla account and click purchase. It triggers an update to your car. The end. I’ve done this on my car. The only reason you’d go to the SC is to get a new badge..if you care.

Now there’s a separate issue. Upgrading from a 60D to a 75D removes the top speed limiter. But it does NOT uncork the vehicle. Uncorking the vehicles requires a SC visit and configure update. In 2017, SCs would uncork a car out of goodwill but it was only eligible for 75Ds and not 60Ds. So a bunch of people bulked their upgrades and uncorking together (I am one of them)

Fast forward to now. That goodwill is reportedly ended. Some people are reporting that despite upgrading to a 75D, Tesla no longer uncorks the car after. It doesn’t mean it can’t be done, but depending on the SC they may not be willing to do it.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
That’s correct. They were upgraded and the upgrade fee was tacked onto the car. The set price to upgrade from a 60D to a 75D is $4,000 last time I checked on a MX. $2,000 on a 60D.

Tesla would not refuse a software only upgrade. It doesn’t cost them a thing. It’s all done over the air, no SC trip needed. You log onto your Tesla account and click purchase. It triggers an update to your car. The end. I’ve done this on my car. The only reason you’d go to the SC is to get a new badge..if you care.

Now there’s a separate issue. Upgrading from a 60D to a 75D removes the top speed limiter. But it does NOT uncork the vehicle. Uncorking the vehicles requires a SC visit and configure update. In 2017, SCs would uncork a car out of goodwill but it was only eligible for 75Ds and not 60Ds. So a bunch of people bulked their upgrades and uncorking together (I am one of them)

Fast forward to now. That goodwill is reportedly ended. Some people are reporting that despite upgrading to a 75D, Tesla no longer uncorks the car after. It doesn’t mean it can’t be done, but depending on the SC they may not be willing to do it.
I just don't understand that, if it really takes little to no time and it was previously offered then why randomly stop it? Much like Ludicrous, people PAID for that and they still ended it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
I just don't understand that, if it really takes little to no time and it was previously offered then why randomly stop it? Much like Ludicrous, people PAID for that and they still ended it.

2ofnsk.jpg

When I was looking in September I never saw a 60d CPO. All the 60ds were upgraded to 75 automatically. This may have changed recently. My car was made in Oct 2016. Owned for 2 years as a lease. I purchased CPO, it still had the 60d badge but was upgraded to 75.

It makes sense for Tesla to do this with CPO because they can charge more and it costs them nothing.