Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X 90D vs 2017 Model X 100D (Features vs Budget)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I am currently an owner of a 18 M3 LR RWD and while I do like the car, I am in need of something much bigger and definitely will be trading my M3 for an X. I prefer the 6 seater above all other configurations and the MY is off the list for me. I have free charging at home and at work.

My Lifestyle:
- 60 Mile roundtrip to work 4 days a week
- Mini day-trips totaling 100-120 miles every 3 weeks (on the weekends).
- 400 mile round trip road trip 1x a month ( only have to stop one time each way)
- Different types of cargo ranging from people to arts to bags from roadtripping.
- More often I carry 4 adults (me included) and love the captain chairs in the 6 seater option, but also want a third row just in case.
- I don't mind paying for charging, especially on roadtrips.
- Daily range is not a real detrimental issue to me, but I don't want to only be getting 200 miles of range (looking at your 75D)
- I have driven a Model X, quite often too. Love the suspension and lower road noise.

My M3:
- I have FSD that came with the car (I am 2nd owner). I very rarely used the features. I mainly use autopilot (yes, i know its standard), dashcam (for safety reasons) and sometimes like using the side cameras for blind spot use (but its not a deal breaker).
- I definitely will miss sentry mode when parked at work or unknown places, but hey, that's what insurance is for!
- I have also considered in factoring Xcelerate Model X Warranty just in case (main worry is the FWD).

As stated in the title, I'm looking for which one would be better for my lifestyle. It is already hard to find a 2016 90D with AP 2.0. I definitely want the 6 seater more than anything. My budget is $52,000 but ideally would rather stay at $45,000 or less. I am seeing so many 2016's in that range and its tempting. I know that tesla powertrain system in unbeatable and so I am not worried about that. My main worry is lack of some features, and the FWD. If you were in my position, would you (all are single owner, no accident):

- Buy a 2016 90D AP 1.0 and get the Xcelerate 2-4 year warranty for those FWD
- Buy a 2017 100D AP 2.0 and MAYBE buy that warranty.

Hello All. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I am currently an owner of a 18 M3 LR RWD and while I do like the car, I am in need of something much bigger and definitely will be trading my M3 for an X. I prefer the 6 seater above all other configurations and the MY is off the list for me. I have free charging at home and at work.

My Lifestyle:
- 60 Mile roundtrip to work 4 days a week
- Mini day-trips totaling 100-120 miles every 3 weeks (on the weekends).
- 400 mile round trip road trip 1x a month ( only have to stop one time each way)
- Different types of cargo ranging from people to arts to bags from roadtripping.
- More often I carry 4 adults (me included) and love the captain chairs in the 6 seater option, but also want a third row just in case.
- I don't mind paying for charging, especially on roadtrips.
- Daily range is not a real detrimental issue to me, but I don't want to only be getting 200 miles of range (looking at your 75D)
- I have driven a Model X, quite often too. Love the suspension and lower road noise.

My M3:
- I have FSD that came with the car (I am 2nd owner). I very rarely used the features. I mainly use autopilot (yes, i know its standard), dashcam (for safety reasons) and sometimes like using the side cameras for blind spot use (but its not a deal breaker).
- I definitely will miss sentry mode when parked at work or unknown places, but hey, that's what insurance is for!
- I have also considered in factoring Xcelerate Model X Warranty just in case (main worry is the FWD).

As stated in the title, I'm looking for which one would be better for my lifestyle. It is already hard to find a 2016 90D with AP 2.0. I definitely want the 6 seater more than anything. My budget is $52,000 but ideally would rather stay at $45,000 or less. I am seeing so many 2016's in that range and its tempting. I know that tesla powertrain system in unbeatable and so I am not worried about that. My main worry is lack of some features, and the FWD. If you were in my position, would you (all are single owner, no accident):

- Buy a 2016 90D AP 1.0 and get the Xcelerate 2-4 year warranty for those FWD
- Buy a 2017 100D AP 2.0 and MAYBE buy that warranty.
I am curious, why did you reject the Model Y? It certainly sounds like a good fit.

I had a 2018 X100D for four years. Traded it in just as the warranty was running out. I had enough problems with it, that I would not consider owning
one without factory warranty. FWIW, I had no trouble whatsoever with the FWD. OTOH, my Model 3 has only had a single service occurrence since owning it. I would expect a similar service experience with a Model Y.

ever since the Jan price drop, used inventory dropped too, why not get from there?
seems in ur price range n even with FSD sometimes...

1677121489370.png

Then there's always ebay.. seen lots of deals lately...

1677121775375.png

i have AP1 now but would def get AP2 or later, they started those in Oct 2016
a lot of older cars already got upgraded to AP3, just have to look around

Last edited:
I am curious, why did you reject the Model Y? It certainly sounds like a good fit.

I had a 2018 X100D for four years. Traded it in just as the warranty was running out. I had enough problems with it, that I would not consider owning
one without factory warranty. FWIW, I had no trouble whatsoever with the FWD. OTOH, my Model 3 has only had a single service occurrence since owning it. I would expect a similar service experience with a Model Y.
From what I was told, the motor and sensors changed in 2018 which resulted in much better FWD. Model X has definitely been more of a dream vehicle and I’m a sucker for captains chairs. If the model y had that, I would’ve gotten the Model Y. There are times where I’ll be in the backseat of my own car and a bench row doesn’t feel as premium. Don’t get me wrong, I like the Model Y but it doesn’t feel different enough to me from the 3.

I own a 2018 model 3 AWD and a 2017 100D MX and have a few thoughts on things you have said.
400 mile round trip road trip 1x a month ( only have to stop one time each way)
I also do a 400 mile trip, at least once a month. Usually do it in the model X, occasionally in the model 3. I suppose if a supercharger were located precisely at the halfway point I could sometimes do it with one stop in some weather conditions, but that is a stretch. Keep in mind that you are talking about cars that are 5 to 7 years old and there is battery degradation, not to mention rated miles don’t equal actual miles.
I mainly use autopilot (yes, i know its standard)
No, it was not standard in 2016 and 2017… nor 2018, nor early 2019. If cars from that vintage did not buy Enhanced Autopilot for $5k, they have dummy cruise control. Of course if the car has passed through Tesla’s hands it could have what is now called standard autopilot.
get the Xcelerate 2-4 year warranty for those FWD
Never had a problem with FWD. The complexity of the car can lead to many problems, but i don’t think FWD problems are as commmon as people think.
I’m a sucker for captains chairs. If the model y had that, I would’ve gotten the Model Y. There are times where I’ll be in the backseat of my own car and a bench row doesn’t feel as premium.
I agree that the bench seat does not shout luxury. But I personally don’t consider the 2nd row in the 6 seater as captain chairs. There are no arm rests. The seat is very limited in its adjustments. Tesla could really do a lot to improve the 2nd row seats.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'd get the 2017 100D for the battery size and degradation. I'd 100% suggest AP2.5 tho. Such a better experience.

2017 AP2.0 Jan-Jul (or AP2.5 if user did info upgrade)
2017 AP2.5 Aug-Dec

On a side note, would you suggest I forgo range to get the newest year model?

I found a 2018 Model X 75D with the exact color combo I want in my price range. Everything I wanted except the range.

I own a 2018 model 3 AWD and a 2017 100D MX and have a few thoughts on things you have said.

I also do a 400 mile trip, at least once a month. Usually do it in the model X, occasionally in the model 3. I suppose if a supercharger were located precisely at the halfway point I could sometimes do it with one stop in some weather conditions, but that is a stretch. Keep in mind that you are talking about cars that are 5 to 7 years old and there is battery degradation, not to mention rated miles don’t equal actual miles.

No, it was not standard in 2016 and 2017… nor 2018, nor early 2019. If cars from that vintage did not buy Enhanced Autopilot for $5k, they have dummy cruise control. Of course if the car has passed through Tesla’s hands it could have what is now called standard autopilot.

Never had a problem with FWD. The complexity of the car can lead to many problems, but i don’t think FWD problems are as commmon as people think.

I agree that the bench seat does not shout luxury. But I personally don’t consider the 2nd row in the 6 seater as captain chairs. There are no arm rests. The seat is very limited in its adjustments. Tesla could really do a lot to improve the 2nd row seats.
I did rent a 2016 90D MX to test my theory a few months ago. Driving from my house at 90% to Asheville, NC, I had to make a charge stop in Fair Play, SC (halfway point) for 25 mins, which actually doesn't bother me. Even when I did the trip in my M3, I would stop with my passengers for about the same time due to restroom, and eating lunch. My M3 would be charged enough to make it to destination in about 10-15 mins but I am never in a rush to get there. There may be some times where I would do the 400 mile round trip every two months rather than every month (visiting family). When I arrived in Asheville, I would have ~20% leftover.

On a side note, would you suggest I forgo range to get the newest year model?
I found a 2018 Model X 75D with the exact color combo I want in my price range. Everything I wanted except the range.
I absolutely would NOT. 100D would charge faster, degrade less (noticeable), and give you many more options when traveling (skipping chargers, etc).
I think you'd regret a 75D quickly.

Just bought a Dec '16 MX90D, 7-seat (3x captains; might take out the middle one later), FUSC, PUP, MC1 w/ HW3, FSD paid for (but not deployed yet)... My objective was an AWD FSD capable vehicle with FUSC to be the family hauler, it ticked the boxes.

I agree 90 or 100kwh is preferable to 75kwh, especially if you'll ever be towing or driving in the cold where the X loses a fair bit of range. Though from what I understand 100 packs arrived after transferable FUSC (SC01) ended.

My X is "AP2.0" (vin 28xxx), but the AP computer was upgraded to HW3 and the cameras were upgraded to AP2.5... it's effectively the same thing (there may be some additional autosteer control redundancy in newer cars, but it's otherwise the same); make sure you have B-pillar cameras and the car can be upgraded to FSD.

Just bought a Dec '16 MX90D, 7-seat (3x captains; might take out the middle one later), FUSC, PUP, MC1 w/ HW3, FSD paid for (but not deployed yet)... My objective was an AWD FSD capable vehicle with FUSC to be the family hauler, it ticked the boxes.

I agree 90 or 100kwh is preferable to 75kwh, especially if you'll ever be towing or driving in the cold where the X loses a fair bit of range. Though from what I understand 100 packs arrived after transferable FUSC (SC01) ended.

My X is "AP2.0" (vin 28xxx), but the AP computer was upgraded to HW3 and the cameras were upgraded to AP2.5... it's effectively the same thing (there may be some additional autosteer control redundancy in newer cars, but it's otherwise the same); make sure you have B-pillar cameras and the car can be upgraded to FSD.

Curious only, what's the determination on staying with MCU1? I'm genuinely interested because I have MCU2 on my older model S, having paid for the upgrade, and I'm looking at a model X with MCU1. The model X does have full self driving as well, so I'm curious as to how well the interface works with MCU1.