Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X brake problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a model x (2016) and have been enjoying driving it around and have been proud of its overall experience till recently.

On March 20th 2021, Saturday morning, we were driving on the highway 90 in Chicago area, one of the busiest highways in Chicago and, because of some slow traffics in front of us, we had to use the brakes however, unlike the other times we used, this time we heard a huge noise and followed by some burning smells.

Right after all this happened e.g. within a few seconds, we felt our car was almost not driveable, and luckily we were able to pull the car to the emergency lane very slowly, thanks to those cars behind us and we were fortunate enough and did not get into any accidents during this movement.

We finally had to tow the car to the High Land Park Tesla service center for the emergency repair. We were told not only the brake system was broken but also the front tire at the driver's side was broken too. The ultimate cost for the repair was over 2200$.

This incident terrified us, as we always thought the model x should be one of the safest cars in the world and we never prepared for this terrible moment happening to us.

Although we raised our enormous concerns at the service center, no one had explained any possible causes to this failed brake event. Given the recently increased brake system problems reported, we think this is really a manufacturing malfunction. This time we were lucky enough that we were not injured physically, although mentally we were hurt so badly and we are now continually having fears when driving and particularly every time when we need to use the brakes on the highway, as we do not know what to expect next, We totally lost our faith to the name of “Tesla “.

We trusted Tesla so much previously and we recommended Tesla to our friends after we bought ours several years ago. However, after this incident, now we wouldn’t dare to say anything other than this horrible experience.

We were trying very hard to contact the Tesla officials for further investigation however, there is no place we can voice. I do not know if anyone from Tesla is in this community, and I think the Tesla team should look into this seriously and to ensure the safety. I hope we, just like all the other Tesla drivers, deserve to drive the Tesla safely.

By the way, we did have a video and we are hesitating to share it on the internet at this moment. If needed, we will share this publicly.

Xinyan Lu

Reactions: DanCar
While there are a lot of calls to complain about stuff to the NHTSA when that shouldn't be done, this sounds like a case where it actually should.

Here is some good advice on how to go about that: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/how-to-write-a-car-safety-complaint-to-nhtsa/

However, it looks like their NHTSA link is either incorrect or outdated; the page they link to says it is for "Tires, Equipment or Child Seat Safety." On the other hand, a web search lead me to a separate NHTSA page for "Vehicle Safety" that page is here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Reactions: DanCar
We have a model x (2016) and have been enjoying driving it around and have been proud of its overall experience till recently.

On March 20th 2021, Saturday morning, we were driving on the highway 90 in Chicago area, one of the busiest highways in Chicago and, because of some slow traffics in front of us, we had to use the brakes however, unlike the other times we used, this time we heard a huge noise and followed by some burning smells.

Right after all this happened e.g. within a few seconds, we felt our car was almost not driveable, and luckily we were able to pull the car to the emergency lane very slowly, thanks to those cars behind us and we were fortunate enough and did not get into any accidents during this movement.

We finally had to tow the car to the High Land Park Tesla service center for the emergency repair. We were told not only the brake system was broken but also the front tire at the driver's side was broken too. The ultimate cost for the repair was over 2200$.

This incident terrified us, as we always thought the model x should be one of the safest cars in the world and we never prepared for this terrible moment happening to us.

Although we raised our enormous concerns at the service center, no one had explained any possible causes to this failed brake event. Given the recently increased brake system problems reported, we think this is really a manufacturing malfunction. This time we were lucky enough that we were not injured physically, although mentally we were hurt so badly and we are now continually having fears when driving and particularly every time when we need to use the brakes on the highway, as we do not know what to expect next, We totally lost our faith to the name of “Tesla “.

We trusted Tesla so much previously and we recommended Tesla to our friends after we bought ours several years ago. However, after this incident, now we wouldn’t dare to say anything other than this horrible experience.

We were trying very hard to contact the Tesla officials for further investigation however, there is no place we can voice. I do not know if anyone from Tesla is in this community, and I think the Tesla team should look into this seriously and to ensure the safety. I hope we, just like all the other Tesla drivers, deserve to drive the Tesla safely.

By the way, we did have a video and we are hesitating to share it on the internet at this moment. If needed, we will share this publicly.

Xinyan Lu
What was the exact issue with the brakes (post the service invoice)? I also don't understand how the tire was broken. Maybe it was the wheel? Since you live in Chicago, you should be getting your brakes serviced annually. If not, the brakes will develop corrosion due to the salt/winter in Chicago and I am wondering if this was the cause of the failure (assuming you did not get the annual service).