Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X Glove Compartment does not open. Diagnosis. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, recently my glove box has stopped responding to the button press.
The interior glove box light works (I know because I pried it open manually and saw that). So it seems the fuses work fine.
When I set a glovebox pin and press the glovebox button, the pin pad comes up on the screen, which means that the button works.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Is it possible the motor burnt out? Is there a different fuse for the latch motor?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Saw this in another thread:
So while waiting on the Tesla tech guy to come out I did some trouble shooting myself. I own a 2017 Tesla Model X and my brother owns a 2017 Tesla Model S. After Checking the fuse and and verifying that the button works by activating the glove box pin, I ended up shooting 12v to the actuator and found out that it still works. Just to double check we ended up swapping the glove boxes with my brothers Model S and found out that my glove box works in his and his does not work on mine. I wanted to confirm that my glove box was indeed good as Tesla was curtain that I need a new glove box which was roughly $400. The Tesla tech came yesterday and after listening to all my trouble shoots he was also convinced that the glove box is good and the issue had to be either wiring or software. Before he started taking it apart he asked if I did a 12V battery reset, which I completely spaced it. That is probably the easiest trouble shoot. He ended up performing the 12V battery reset and sure enough that fixed my issue, glove box is functional.

Also saw this on reddit:
There is a panel immediately below the glove compartment door that if loose prevents the glove compartment from opening. You have to pound it gently with your fist to get the mounting clips to reengage - otherwise it will stay loose even if you try to press it back in. Once the clips are fully engaged on the panel, it will snap tightly into place. When done properly, your glove compartment door will open again.
Saw this fuse in a thread too:
F2195AMICRO2Glove Box Light/DiagnosticsCabin Fuses (Model X)

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Thanks @scottf200 , that worked! I removed the 12V connection and reconnected it and bazinga! It worked like a charm!
Excellent. Your are most welcome.

If it happens to me I'll have a possible solution.

BTW, a less drastic step *may* be to do the quasi-reset via changing tire config, let it reboot, and then changing it back.

Reset of 'most' systems (temporarily change wheel configuration trick)
Change your wheel configuration to something not on your X (Service -> Wheel Configuration) and after it restarts the car then change it back to the original.

My glove compartment didn't work, read on the internet that this probably was a software issue. Resetting or reboot didn't do anything.
Perhaps the change of wheel config should have worked (didn't try).

Recently the service center replaced the pyro fuse (400V system), after this the glove compartment works like a charm again ;-)
Think this has to do with powering down the 12V too.
Note: you can easily open the glove compartment manually (just in case):