Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X in 2023? A few questions before I pass the event horizon.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a trailer owner myself, pulling something that’s well within the limits of my Tundra at around 7500, you want margin for when things out of your control go south
Yes - if you're on the highway for sure. I think towing at city speeds has its own set of risks, but moment arm and mechanical advantage the trailer has over the car are the big ones there, and of course, you might be more likely to bend your frame in any evasive maneuvers above the weight limit. But a 10,000lb trailer can be safer behind my 10,000lb-rated Tundra than my 30' long 8000lb box trailer, etc.

Model X has the unique issue of the Bosal hitch too so that's what I'd be worried about...with a traditional hitch, I'd be less worried

There is no one size fits all, the number matters a lot, but it's not a hard limit, nor an indication of what is safe and what is not, for hopefully obvious reason. Don't tow a 3,000lb sailboat with the sails deployed behind your Model X, for instance, and don't expect to have an unbent frame if you have to panic stop your aluminum-bodied Model X towing an overloaded trailer...