Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X in 2023? A few questions before I pass the event horizon.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FUSC saves some of us lots. Supercharger costs .53/kwh
Home cost .46 first 200kwh then .57. Power expensive in San Diego
If my power was that expensive I would be FUSCing a lot. Right now it’s 0.14$ a kWh and I find the 3 mile trip to the SC inconvenient. even when I’m right next to it i almost always drive home. If I was paying it’s about 0.35$ a kWh for SC here.

Took delivery of a used 17' 100D in December after cancelling rez for 7 seater MY and have zero regrets. As long as it's not your only car like others have mentioned. I referenced this website for lots of helpful info prior to purchasing: Fix Your Tesla - A Guide to Buying a Used Tesla Model X

A used Model X pre 19-20 is a step backwards battery and tech wise over a new MY or M3 but major upgrade in ride quality and luxury features.

Would recommend buying from Tesla Used Inventory for the included warranty. They had put brand new 22" wheels and rear tires on prior to delivery for us and car was in great shape. Most of these are lease completions. Also, was able to have a couple warranty items taken care of the following week (half-axels, and CPU upgrade) at no cost.

If I were to do it again I would go for '18 w/ MCU2, FSD, 100D, PUP (should be standard) or 2020 if budget allows. I wouldn't pursue a 16 or early 17 private party for the free supercharging unless you are trying to Uber or something.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
Definitely NOT true lol
I have Sep 2016 90D and no tow bar or active spoiler
Don't know much about tow bar but active spoiler was only available on Performance versions...
Yup. W got a 2016 X 90D and it doesn’t have the active spoiler, but it was delivered with the full size hitch, even though it was spec’d with the accessory hitch. Took some sweet talking but I’m getting the SC to verify it was put on my the factory and activate the configuration. It’ll be half the price of paying for a whole new hitch which is what the other SC wanted to do.

So I have been seriously considering buying a used 2016 or '17 Tesla Model X as my first Tesla. The reasons for doing so are these:
  • Towing Capacity. 5000lbs is much more desirable than the 3500lbs for a Model Y, though those vehicles would be newer and simpler
  • Space/Capacity. Almost goes without saying compared to the Y. Actual useable 3rd row seats and bunches of space still.
  • Ability to find transferrable free supercharging, though not as prevalent as older Model S'. This is a nice to have, but when I decide for sure what we're going with and if its an X, I'll be looking for it.
Negatives:
  • Known drivetrain issues/shudder, if they weren't addressed already
  • More complicated overall/Door Issues
  • MCU Issues
  • Aftermarket used parts availability compared to Y? (Maybe)
I do have some questions. First, it appears the hitch is removable and I didn't see a retrofit option available from Tesla. Do all Model X's come with the hitch and how exactly do I inspect it when looking at a car or at least at pictures of it? If it is removable, how do I order a new one?
Second, for those with early Model X's, what does your charging curve look like nowadays? I can't seem to find many examples of detailed curves of 2016 X's recently, but I'm probably looking in the wrong place.
Third, should I just abandon the idea of getting a Model X and rather look at a used Model Y for around the same price or less instead and just deal with the lower towing capacity/get a smaller trailer?

And I almost made it 10 years from when I registered to when I first posted... I should have bought stock then... oi! o_O
HI Anthony,

I bought a December 2017 MX P100D and I absolutely love it. I was considering the same choice you were with a new Y vs a used X. I periodically tow my cars and cars of friends and the X is literally the best towing vehicle I owned for this purpose. I use my 2021 2500HD Duramax when I am pulling my camper or going longer distances. The range is an issue but if you are traveling under 60 miles you are going to be fine. I couldn't imagine trying to get into a supercharger with a trailer. Picture of the last vehicle I towed with the Tesla.

I have had my MX for over a year and once I got the issues fixed that I bought the car with I haven't had an issue with the car in a year. Get the MX and have fun.

HI Anthony,

I bought a December 2017 MX P100D and I absolutely love it. I was considering the same choice you were with a new Y vs a used X. I periodically tow my cars and cars of friends and the X is literally the best towing vehicle I owned for this purpose. I use my 2021 2500HD Duramax when I am pulling my camper or going longer distances. The range is an issue but if you are traveling under 60 miles you are going to be fine. I couldn't imagine trying to get into a supercharger with a trailer. Picture of the last vehicle I towed with the Tesla.

I have had my MX for over a year and once I got the issues fixed that I bought the car with I haven't had an issue with the car in a year. Get the MX and have fun.
The Picture didn't attach.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 58
The fun police are everywhere, beware

Uhaul car hauler is Circa 2200lb. That year of Dakota without a drivetrain, probably 3000 or so

So clearly you have died and are a ghost, because model X is only rated at 3500 on the 22’s, and so you died from towing that load

Happy Halloween

• Funny
Reactions: Anthony R.
The fun police are everywhere, beware

Uhaul car hauler is Circa 2200lb. That year of Dakota without a drivetrain, probably 3000 or so

So clearly you have died and are a ghost, because model X is only rated at 3500 on the 22’s, and so you died from towing that load

Happy Halloween
Nope, not dead. the Tesla did great and was safe. I was running about 800lbs in tongue weight.

Reactions: Anthony R.