Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X - large dog question, etc - TIA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, thanks for having me here. I’m currently shopping on Carvana for my first Tesla. It’s actually a surprise birthday gift for my wife. The model that I have a purchase pending on is a 2016 P90D. My first question is for any model X owners with large dogs, with the third row of seats folded down will my 150 pound Mastiff be comfortable back there? We’re going to have car seats in the second row so the fact that the performance model second row doesn’t fold flat is really irrelevant for the most part.
Secondly, Carvana is trying to determine which version of auto pilot hardware the car has. I’ve been doing research but can anyone tell me what was in the 2016 performance models? And is the hardware upgradable to allow for full auto pilot?

Thanks in advance for any help or information about the model X.

Attachments

• 0FF68AE4-8F49-44EB-ACBA-9799991741DE.jpeg
    0FF68AE4-8F49-44EB-ACBA-9799991741DE.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 86
Concur with previous poster if u have side shot of car really easy to confirm AP1 or 2 ..if it is AP2 u have a path to upgrade to AP3 and FSD ..if AP1 cannot do ..however having driven an AP1 car for close to 40k miles it’s still pretty decent for most highway driving I don’t think u will be disappointed..good luck with purchase

Concur with previous poster if u have side shot of car really easy to confirm AP1 or 2 ..if it is AP2 u have a path to upgrade to AP3 and FSD ..if AP1 cannot do ..however having driven an AP1 car for close to 40k miles it’s still pretty decent for most highway driving I don’t think u will be disappointed..good luck with purchase

Thank you guys. I guess that was going to be my next question… How valuable are people finding the AP2 and above? This car is primarily going to be for my wife and I’m pretty certain she’ll never use auto pilot. It would be something I would do on family rides. But of course I’d love to geek out on the summon feature etc. There are some 2017 models out there too. But may stick with the 2016.
I’ll give it some thought.

Thanks for the helpful info all. I’m now deliberating between a 2016 P90D and a 2017 75D.
Apart from those red calipers and some HP my wife would curse me for taking advantage of, I’m thinking I should go for the 17. I know the 90 would have more range as well, hmm.
It looks like the middle seat in the 2nd row of the 75D can fold down which would give the dog the same benefit as the space between the bucket seats on the 6 seat P Model right?

Went to the nearby dealership today and they graciously let my drooling beast hop in and out of a 6 and a 7 seater. As it turns out either will work. And as far as the used models I am looking at I am now just trying to decide between the 2016 P90D with AP1 or the 2017 75D with AP2. my wife commutes 30 minutes to work every day and that’s mainly what this car is going to be. So I’m leaning heavily toward the newer model which only has about half the mileage on it of the other one, and with AP2 I can upgrade to FSD for her potentially..and thus maybe keep the car longer. But it’s also less powerful with a smaller battery (but maybe not less range according to some)
opinions?

Attachments

• 74503497-F02D-4F3B-9A7C-53154ABB6D76.jpeg
    74503497-F02D-4F3B-9A7C-53154ABB6D76.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Love
Reactions: Vaillant and P85_DA
Later build + newer battery = fewer future problems.
A 90 was only ever an 83 and they have had more problems than other batteries except maybe some 85s. My P90D with almost 100k miles shows a rated range of 226 (10% loss from 250) but really only gets just over 200 and is slow to supercharge (otherwise it's great except an MCU failure is in the cards).

Reactions: Dave K9
Ugh. Just when you think you have it figured out. It turns out that the 2017 is a five seater not a seven. The main concern was the dog anyway and not additional passengers so I’m still leaning that way. As it is the cars we have are 5 seaters and it’s just my wife and I, two kids (no new owns coming) and the dog. Just another thing to factor in.

Ugh. Just when you think you have it figured out. It turns out that the 2017 is a five seater not a seven. The main concern was the dog anyway and not additional passengers so I’m still leaning that way. As it is the cars we have are 5 seaters and it’s just my wife and I, two kids (no new owns coming) and the dog. Just another thing to factor in.

I have had 3 Tesla’s all P’s ..aside from the novelty of doing some initial launches I drive normally ..I have driven many 75s as loaners and I always thought the smaller battery wasn’t good I was quite surprised that compared to my 100battery the 75 being lighter wasn’t that far off from what I get range wise in my P100...normally I would suggest the largest battery but if u read the posts here in issues of the 90 batt it may sway your opinion to go the 75 ..not sure what the delta on price now is with a 75 to a 100 battery though as that may be good deal now as you can probably find some early 2017s..echo the post above check out ev-cpo

Reactions: Dave K9
5 seater has an extra empty space under the trunk where the 3rd row seats are for the 6 and 7 seaters.

For your lovely dog, kids, and wife with plenty of space in the X and better range, 75D could be a better choice.

Also, another visit to the dealership with your dog in a 5 seater X would possibly help in making your decision.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dave K9 and P85_DA