Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X P90D or 2017 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 that I've been enjoying very much, so I'm thinking about adding an X to my garage as well. I would like to stay (more or less) under $60k, so I've been looking at 2016 and 2017s. The 75s don't have enough range for me (I'm already paranoid about the range on my P85), so it's either a 90 or a 100. I figure if I'm going to stay with a 2016 90, I may as well go for a P90D, since it seems they pop up at similar prices to the regular 90D from time to time.

The big question is, what, other than range, do I gain (if anything), from moving up to a 2017 100D?

Will the 100D have any newer technology?
Were there any design changes between the years (I love the white seats, but haven't seen any '16s with white interior)?
Free Supercharging - I don't use this often, but it's a "nice to have" option. As far as I understand, there may be some '17s where the SC will transfer?
Presumably, I'm more likely to find a '17 that still has warranty left (be it regular or remaining CPO warranty)?

Are there any other major differences between the model years?

I don't necessarily need the performance of a P90D - I just figure if I'm going with a 2016, I may as well get the "higher" model.

Any and all input and experiences with either of the cars are most welcome!

Thanks!

\ Henrik

I was deliberating between these two just a few weeks ago. A few things... Staying under $60k may be hard for a 100d depending on the options you want, especially FSD. I believe 2016 has perforated seats all around and the driver and passenger have cooling seats although some have reported they don't work super well and that's why Tesla stopped making them, also not as easy to clean. I believe 2016 Model X's don't have the side cameras necessary for FSD or to make the auto opening doors function better since they can see when you're walking up. There were improvements made to the falcon wing doors around this time as well. Also I believe alcantara dash went away sometime around 2017. I think overall there were a lot of minor improvements made from 2016 vs. 2017. This video covers some of the hardware/tech changes

In the end I went with a 2017 100D with FSD and am awaiting delivery. With it being uncorked it does 0-60 in 4.7 instead of the original 6 seconds when the car first came out. So the speed difference is smaller vs the performance model.

If the 2016 X was built before October 2016, then it would only have AP1 hardware and can NOT be upgraded to AP3. If it was built between October 2016 - December 2016 then it would have AP2 and can be upgraded to AP3 hardware. Depending on the manufacture date of the 2017, it would have AP2 (January - July) or AP2.5 (August - December). All of the AP2 and AP2.5 cars can be upgraded to AP3. If you could find an AP2 2016 then it would be equivalent technology-wise to the 2017 or could be upgraded to match it.

Only very late 2016 cars (mid-December 2016) would have the white premium seats. Early 2016 vehicles had next gen leather seats.

Both the 2016 and 2017 cars would have MCU1 and can be upgraded to MCU2 for ~$2500.

The 2016 might have transferrable free Supercharging if you buy it from the original owner (and the car hasn't been sold back to Tesla or other non-Tesla dealers). The 2017 wouldn't have free Supercharging since no non-performance 100D vehicles had transferrable Supercharging.

The P90D will have less range than a 90D. Also, I am willing to bet that an old degraded MX 90D has the same Rated Range as an MX 75D. Your best bet is to try to get a 100D. I am surprised these haven't dipped in to the $50s yet. My car is likely worth low $60s with 35k miles.

You may want to wait until Tesla releases an update to the Model X. This will drop resale value on current X cars.

IMHO, I would avoid early Model Xs. I have a 2018 and have driven 2016s. There were many improvements made incrementally so I would opt for the most recent model you can afford that meets your needs. Don't be seduced by the Performance model. :)

Timely video from Ben Sullins on his 2016 Model X.

Of course, that's just his experience with his vehicle. YMMV!

Thank you everyone for your replies. Your comments have been super helpful, and were exactly what I was looking for.
I've found a few 100Ds under 60k (even one from Tesla), so it's just a matter of waiting for the right one. I'll keep watching the market and prices.