Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 model x p90d range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this has been a topic discussed over and over by many, but I recently purchased a 2016 model x p90d from tesla with 40K miles and wondering if my range is in line with where it should be...
On full charge the vehicle only shows between 236 - 238 miles and on max daily charge (I think that’s the 90%) the car shows about 210 miles.
Once driving the range drops quickly. By the time my trip counter goes to 100 miles, the car usually shows about 80 remaining miles. On average I have been seeing between 160 - 170 miles max range when starting from 90% charge. I tried to drive with the AC off, also played with the various drive modes but nothing seems to make a significant difference in the overall range.

Yes everything you stated is normal for your vehicle. Less than 5% range degradation at 100% charge is excellent and in line with what I have. Search the forums for more info regarding range and energy usage. Lots of good info to be found.

Rated Range loss of 10% is par.
The 22’s do impact range.
The trip energy graph uses the Estimated Range which is not otherwise shown on the screens but is the best predictor of actual range.
Range Mode reduces HVAC power so only effective at temperature extremes but then the windows fog so not much help when very cold.
I recommend using percent battery display and the trip energy graph.
X: What's your 90%?

Attachments

• A4E35CCE-C1C3-4A1F-B1F0-C4258D83AABB.jpeg
    A4E35CCE-C1C3-4A1F-B1F0-C4258D83AABB.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 438
I switched my 22s to 20s. I saw my average go from 370wh/mi to around 315wh/mi with the same driving patterns. Your results will vary.

I wish I had done it sooner. Selling my 22s if anyone wants them in Santa Barbara, CA.

Hi,

What range in miles are you seeing in 20s vs 22s?

Our 2016 MXP90DL is giving us 210 miles at 90%, 232 fully charged but the range drops quickly. I'm thinking of going with 20s if the range increase is substantial,

Thanks!

I am sure this has been a topic discussed over and over by many, but I recently purchased a 2016 model x p90d from tesla with 40K miles and wondering if my range is in line with where it should be...
On full charge the vehicle only shows between 236 - 238 miles and on max daily charge (I think that’s the 90%) the car shows about 210 miles.
Once driving the range drops quickly. By the time my trip counter goes to 100 miles, the car usually shows about 80 remaining miles. On average I have been seeing between 160 - 170 miles max range when starting from 90% charge. I tried to drive with the AC off, also played with the various drive modes but nothing seems to make a significant difference in the overall range.

let me "mad lib" your story

I recently purchased a 2016 model x p90d with ludicrous from tesla with 40K miles and wondering if my range is in line with where it should be...
On full charge the vehicle only shows between 217 - 221 miles and on max daily charge (I think that’s the 90%) the car shows about 198 miles.
Once driving the range drops quickly. By the time my trip counter goes to 100 miles, the car usually shows about 0 remaining miles. On average I have been seeing between 80 - 90 miles max range when starting from 90% charge. I tried to drive with the AC off, also played with the various drive modes but nothing seems to make a significant difference in the overall range.

my average Wh/mi is usually in the high 500s though and that makes the biggest impact on range. switching from 20" to 22" didn't really change that due to my already lead foot. it also does not help that my commute is 3 miles. the stop and go in between traffic lights don't allow enough distance for regen to effectively add range back. in contrast, the wife's commute in her X90D is around 90 mi/day around the city and she gets 300 Wh/mi and twice the range as I have.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
let me "mad lib" your story

I recently purchased a 2016 model x p90d with ludicrous from tesla with 40K miles and wondering if my range is in line with where it should be...
On full charge the vehicle only shows between 217 - 221 miles and on max daily charge (I think that’s the 90%) the car shows about 198 miles.
Once driving the range drops quickly. By the time my trip counter goes to 100 miles, the car usually shows about 0 remaining miles. On average I have been seeing between 80 - 90 miles max range when starting from 90% charge. I tried to drive with the AC off, also played with the various drive modes but nothing seems to make a significant difference in the overall range.

my average Wh/mi is usually in the high 500s though and that makes the biggest impact on range. switching from 20" to 22" didn't really change that due to my already lead foot. it also does not help that my commute is 3 miles. the stop and go in between traffic lights don't allow enough distance for regen to effectively add range back. in contrast, the wife's commute in her X90D is around 90 mi/day around the city and she gets 300 Wh/mi and twice the range as I have.
I have noticed the EXACT same numbers on my P90DL also. Commute is 4 miles each way.

Reactions: GoCanes and forkee
MX 2016 90d, 6 seater, 36k miles on the clock. We had a trip over weekend with 3 persons, fully loaded front trunk and Thule bike trailer with 3 bikes. 80% of the trip speed was around 60mph. The results: 122 miles = 38 kWh. Considering the fact usable battery capacity is 81.8 kWh, we arrive at 262 miles it can be covered under these conditions.
Should the calculation be wrong above let me know.

I purchased my P60D signature in september 2016. initial range 372km (231 miles)
Actual 90% range 312km (194 miles), 100% would be 344 km (214 miles).
I never charge more than 90%, save during travels (no idle time after charge).
This seems low for me and I eagerly hope some day to have the possibility to swap this battery for a long range,albeit at a price.
That being said, I love the car, and intend to keep it for life,

Model X 90D, 2016, AP1.

Test 1: Road is not straight, wind was N 10mph, net elevation 55, speed mostly at 56 mph, load 400 pounds + bike trailer with 3 bikes (thule). Left departure point with 95%, covered 225 miles, arrived 10%.

Test 2: same as given above, but distance is shorter. Please see attached screenshot for details. Calculating approximations, full range would give ~260 miles.

Attachments

• 75D4D657-FD72-4448-A144-8A3F0E66E574.jpeg
    75D4D657-FD72-4448-A144-8A3F0E66E574.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 246
I purchased my P60D signature in september 2016. initial range 372km (231 miles)
Actual 90% range 312km (194 miles), 100% would be 344 km (214 miles).
I never charge more than 90%, save during travels (no idle time after charge).
This seems low for me and I eagerly hope some day to have the possibility to swap this battery for a long range,albeit at a price.
That being said, I love the car, and intend to keep it for life,
60D (SW limited 75) can be charged to 100% without issue.