Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 model x p90d range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all, and continuing to this post here.. and apologies if this has been answered previously but here it is..

looking at 2016MX90D- advertised range of 257miles (EPA when new).

1.what can be expected actual drive time/ distance on highways without sweating about running out of e- driving at 70-80mph, AC, 890-100deg f outside temp?
2. what can I expect to be actual battery capacity (in miles)?
3. how long does it take on a SC to get another 200 miles range back on charge? so next stop can be 3 hours away (if this is even possible?)
4. is the cabin excessively noisy due to the giant windshield?

TIA

MXP90D Jan 2016:
1. 1.5-2h
2. 190 miles
3. Over an hour for the less than 200
4. No. Biggest source of noise is poor door and door window seals

But about that big windshield, early models had a problem with ghost lights-seeing double headlights for example-even when “within spec”.

Last edited:
hello all, and continuing to this post here.. and apologies if this has been answered previously but here it is..

looking at 2016MX90D- advertised range of 257miles (EPA when new).

1.what can be expected actual drive time/ distance on highways without sweating about running out of e- driving at 70-80mph, AC, 890-100deg f outside temp?
2. what can I expect to be actual battery capacity (in miles)?
3. how long does it take on a SC to get another 200 miles range back on charge? so next stop can be 3 hours away (if this is even possible?)
4. is the cabin excessively noisy due to the giant windshield?

TIA
Depends how long you really wanna spend at superchargers between stretches.

In extended drives though I’ve found the rated mileage to be dead on between 60-70mph corrected for prevailing winds which can give 2.5-3h of cruising between 40-50min charges. If you want to kick that up to 75-85mph corrected I would consider instead hopping between chargers every 1.25-2hrs and charging to ~10% buffer to next to save time at chargers and utilize the quickest part of the charge taper.

Neither method is inherently wrong and some may prefer slow and steady with longer less frequent breaks while some may prefer the latter.

MXP90D Jan 2016:
1. 1.5-2h
2. 190 miles
3. Over an hour for the less than 200
4. No. Biggest source of noise is poor door and door window seals

But about that big windshield, early models had a problem with ghost lights-seeing double headlights for example-even when “within spec”.
thanks!

1. so basically charge every 120-150 miles for at least an hour? meaning you're stopped for 'refueling' ~30% of your total trip?

2. regarding poor door and window seals has tesla addressed this? or may be aftermarket parts? this doesn't look like a problem difficult to solve for Tesla..??

Depends how long you really wanna spend at superchargers between stretches.

In extended drives though I’ve found the rated mileage to be dead on between 60-70mph corrected for prevailing winds which can give 2.5-3h of cruising between 40-50min charges. If you want to kick that up to 75-85mph corrected I would consider instead hopping between chargers every 1.25-2hrs and charging to ~10% buffer to next to save time at chargers and utilize the quickest part of the charge taper.

Neither method is inherently wrong and some may prefer slow and steady with longer less frequent breaks while some may prefer the latter.

thanks, this really helps to understand what to expect and how to plan travel.
now also looking at a 2016MX 100D which is rated for another 40 miles but not FUSC..

is it worth it? I have always been wanting the FUSC but is it really worth losing the additional 40 (EPA rated) odd miles?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
1. so basically charge every 120-150 miles for at least an hour? meaning you're stopped for 'refueling' ~30% of your total trip?
Was great when new, 92k miles ago. Now charging takes too long. Usually stop charging between 65kW and 50kW charging power, up to around 65-70%, about 40-45 minutes. It would be another 30-40 minutes to fill up. Slow charging is too frustrating to watch.

2. regarding poor door and window seals has tesla addressed this? or may be aftermarket parts? this doesn't look like a problem difficult to solve for Tesla..??
Added some door seal which also helps keep dirt off the sill too.

When I drove home from picking up my '16 P90 MX in Atlanta, the trip up in an ICE was about 5 hours. The trip home required 2 stops at SC, the first at 125 miles, the next was another 100 miles, and the final leg was about 125. The first stop only needed about 30 mins, the second needed about 45. So yeah, roughly an extra 25% in total trip time. We did have two cars, so we drove to get dinner at the second stop (and ended up eating pizza in the parking lot due to Covid, but that's another story).

thanks, this really helps to understand what to expect and how to plan travel.
now also looking at a 2016MX 100D which is rated for another 40 miles but not FUSC..

is it worth it? I have always been wanting the FUSC but is it really worth losing the additional 40 (EPA rated) odd miles?
If you plan to hang on to it a while, 100 pack is the best of the best for many reasons.

Slow driving and long charging stops between long stretches vs fast driving and quick(er) but more frequent charging stops. AP1 or AP2? (100's with AP1 are extremely rare but are out there.)

If you plan to hang on to it a while, 100 pack is the best of the best for many reasons.

Slow driving and long charging stops between long stretches vs fast driving and quick(er) but more frequent charging stops. AP1 or AP2? (100's with AP1 are extremely rare but are out there.)

I believe it has AP2- assuming so because it is advertised with FSD enabled.
I do plan to hold onto it for a while since it is a pretty big commitment ($70k for a used) and I don't expect to be able to get much in return if and when I plan to trade in or sell after a few years... so yes, if i decide to upgrade, quite possible this one will just hang around as a showpiece in the garage or driveway or may be a second or third car....

When I drove home from picking up my '16 P90 MX in Atlanta, the trip up in an ICE was about 5 hours. The trip home required 2 stops at SC, the first at 125 miles, the next was another 100 miles, and the final leg was about 125. The first stop only needed about 30 mins, the second needed about 45. So yeah, roughly an extra 25% in total trip time. We did have two cars, so we drove to get dinner at the second stop (and ended up eating pizza in the parking lot due to Covid, but that's another story).
hopefully you were able to netflix while having pizza... :)

i am starting to have second thoughts just for this reason specially since no one else in the household is an EV enthusiast.. so road trips in the x may be tough sells... unless I am able to get the 330-350 range latest models.. but that's a lot of dough..

Was great when new, 92k miles ago. Now charging takes too long. Usually stop charging between 65kW and 50kW charging power, up to around 65-70%, about 40-45 minutes. It would be another 30-40 minutes to fill up. Slow charging is too frustrating to watch.

Added some door seal which also helps keep dirt off the sill too.

So you wouldn't recommend the 2016 model x with close to 50k miles due to battery degradation concerns? specially anything besides the 100d pack?

So you wouldn't recommend the 2016 model x with close to 50k miles due to battery degradation concerns? specially anything besides the 100d pack?
P90DL would be the exception at the right price but if you don't care about speed and want it for road trip mainly then 100D are the way to go.

Keep an eye out for inventory cars since the gap continues to close between new and used..

• Helpful
Reactions: bhorn
P90DL would be the exception at the right price but if you don't care about speed and want it for road trip mainly then 100D are the way to go.

Keep an eye out for inventory cars since the gap continues to close between new and used..

thanks for the insight.. will keep an eye out for 100D.... but they seem to be hard to come by..

not picky about exterior color but I am sold on white interior + 7 seats and FUSC will do it for me... + I totally agree with your recommendation- 100D added to the list! thanks

I gotta say what a group this is.. great support. thanks guys!

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC