Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, please let me try to address all the issues that have been raised here, to the best of my ability.

1. I have tried to be as forthcoming as possible in this thread. I stated the fact this car is has a Lemon brand in my 2nd sentence, and provided the Autocheck report as well. I am not trying to hide or misrepresent anything here.

2. I am not in Sales, and do not know most of Tesla's used-car policies intimately. I have been inquiring internally to clarify the ESA/maintenance policy for this car, and provided the initial answer I got. I have been pushing (and will continue to push) for further clarification, but for now, for the purposes of your own valuation considerations, please consider them NOT available for this car. I don't believe that to be the case, but I will update when I get more concrete answers. I was out on Tuesday and Wednesday for the holiday, and did not have a chance to follow up.

3. I have stated previously, and will restate that I am open to offers, and would be happy to discuss with anyone here. I cannot edit the original asking price, and I do agree that I priced it pretty high. It was based on a cursory search of this forum/cars.com/autotrader/etc, and I maintain that I haven't seen cars with similar spec/condition/mileage without a Lemon brand for less than I am asking. I did see a similar car with a Lemon brand for more. I will promise you guys that I will disclose the final price paid (assuming the eventual buyer agrees) on this thread as a datapoint. I think you'll be surprised - I have already gotten multiple serious inquiries and *may* be closing a deal shortly.

I'd like to reset this conversation, and avoid any hostility. I apologize if I have come across as misleading in any way. I am trying to be active in this thread to follow up on any concerns, and will continue to do so. Once again, my cell is 617 997 7559.

Update: I checking my Tesla account page, and it will allow me to puchase the Extended Maintenance Plan (I got as far as entering my CC info). Obviously, I could get an email from someone saying that it's not allowed, but it seems like it is... No similar option for the ESA. Again, I am inquring, as I don't see why it shouldn't. There was NO stipulation against it when I bought it.

If anyone would like to make offers conditional on me successfully purchasing the ESA and/or Maintenance Plan PRIOR to concluding the sale, I would be happy to entertain that.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Update: I checking my Tesla account page, and it will allow me to puchase the Extended Maintenance Plan (I got as far as entering my CC info). Obviously, I could get an email from someone saying that it's not allowed, but it seems like it is... No similar option for the ESA. Again, I am inquring, as I don't see why it shouldn't. There was NO stipulation against it when I bought it.

If anyone would like to make offers conditional on me successfully purchasing the ESA and/or Maintenance Plan PRIOR to concluding the sale, I would be happy to entertain that.
The Extended Service Agreement (ESA) is the important one and the one I think they will not offer. On a side note you had very nice pictures of your Blue Model S P90D when you were selling that one, very nice lighting. I went back and found the pictures in Google it’s amazing what Google saves!

Attachments

• CFB62761-D343-4D8A-8545-EBE51A6BBCBD.jpeg
    CFB62761-D343-4D8A-8545-EBE51A6BBCBD.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 128
  • E83D9543-E8C1-4F84-B3AE-0DCD39A9251B.jpeg
    E83D9543-E8C1-4F84-B3AE-0DCD39A9251B.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 77
TMCers give the guy a break. He is on the engineering side of Tesla (nice Linkedin profile) and would not be involved on the customer facing side of the business and is being transparent.

Ian
Most of the contention is over the value of a Lemon Branded title.

Thank you for checking the ESA, that should relieve your less riskier buyers knowing that it’s an option that you can buy and pass through to the buyer.

Good luck man!

Reactions: yngwiescruggs
I agree that I came on too strong and, for that, I apologize. Like I said, I have no idea whether this guy is on the level and I should not have suggested that possibility. Its still hard for me to imagine a car guy, who goes through a couple of Tesla's in a matter of months/a year, and who actually works for the company, not knowing the warranty basics. And, to be clear, I didn't raise the red flag until I saw the "I'm an employee" post.

In any event - GLWS, its a good looking car (and I love the house/garage in the background - that area of Reno is gorgeous).

Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks deaddog - living in Reno certainly has advantages (besides working at Tesla)! I try not to make a big deal of the employee bit. Regarding the warranty knowledge, I haven't owned one long enough to have to explore extending it (and was never asked about it on my last sale, which was not a Lemon, btw). Have always just been able to drop it off at the service center on the way to work and let them sort out any imperfections!

Curious what the real market price is for this vehicle with the lemon tittle. A few said they were interested but nobody offered a price that I saw.
IMHO, no matter how much he tries to educate the public about the difference between a "Lemon Buy-Back" and a "Salvage Title," they both seem to be synonymous to most people. He's probably looking at about a 15%-25% dip in pricing to make it seem worthwhile for most.

@GlowOwl - replied, thanks.

@Qbenjamin - agreed, for the most part. But remember, I'm not looking for offers from "most people." I assume those of us on here are smarter than that (shameless pandering, I know!).
People look at Lemon Law cars the same as cars with collision damage. The car may be fixed to like new condition but the value will always be less because of the diminishing resale value. Even insurance companies recognize the diminished value of a repaired car and will credit the insured with a one time payment for that. A Lemon Law car still depreciates at about the same rate but starts with a much lower purchase price for the original buyer of the buyback car.

80k cash, My interactions with him was a very positive and I am hopeful he will change his mind and accept.

I love this site and my wife thinks I spend to much time on it.
I have bought 2 Teslas from individuals on this site and sold one. Feel free to look them up.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA