Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased this Model X P90D with Ludicrous from Tesla last year. Full disclosure, the car has a Lemon title. However, the only issue for this (driver's side falcon door sensor - 35 days in service) was fully rectified before I bought it, and has never presented any problems during my ownership. I have the Lemon disclosure document from Tesla and Autocheck report available on request. It is also under the full new car warranty until 3/2020. It has lifetime free supercharging.

The car is in excellent condition both inside and out. It has been garaged exclusively in my care, and has never had children or pets inside. The pictures should speak for themselves - the car looks and feels essentially new. I am fanatical about maintenance and car care. Additionally, I recently mounted 4 new tires when the car last went in for service.

I am selling because I am ordering my Model 3 now that AWD is available. The car is located in Reno, NV, but I am willing to help arrange transport. My cell is 617 997 7559 if you have any questions.

Options:
Standard Vehicle Price - $80,000
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade - $10,000
Performance 90KW Dual Motor - $35,500
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint - $1000
22" Onyx Black Wheels - $4,500
Black Leather Seats - $2,500
Seven Seat Interior - $4,000
Obeche Wood Matte Décor - Included
Black Alcantara Headliner - Included
Red Brake Calipers - Included
Autopilot Convenience Features - $2,500
Supercharger Enabled - Included
High Amperage Charger Upgrade - $1,500
Smart Air Suspension - Included
Premium Upgrades Package - $4500
Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package - $2,500
Active Spoiler - Included
Accessory Hitch - $200

Original MSRP: $149,900
Kelley Blue Book: $96,293 (not including Ludicrous Speed Upgrade)

Asking Price: $94k

IMG_20180626_200124.jpg

IMG_20180626_200131.jpg

IMG_20180626_200137.jpg

IMG_20180626_200432.jpg

IMG_20180626_200449.jpg

IMG_20180626_200501.jpg

IMG_20180626_200518.jpg

IMG_20180626_200534.jpg

IMG_20180626_200615.jpg

IMG_20180626_200623.jpg

IMG_20180626_200628.jpg

IMG_20180626_200711.jpg

IMG_20180626_200725.jpg

IMG_20180626_200821.jpg

IMG_20180626_200841.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is the mileage ~18,564 like in the pictures? I have bought Salvage and Lemon Title cars many times before, but your's doesn't seem to have any discount.. does it have some items that raise the value?

Example - I bought a 2014 Miata Grand Touring Edition in 2014 with 1400 miles that when it was new went for $33K, picked it up for $9K (fresh water damage) - no issues after I replaced the ECU for $400.

Does your price include the ESA also know as the 4-Year Extended Service Agreement? Valued at ~$4800.00
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf

Does it include the 4-Year Maintenance Plan? Valued at ~$2750.00
Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

I wish you luck, but when I can get a clear titled P100D for $98K, it makes me scratch my head and wonder what the value add is?

BTW it is a gorgeous car...

• Love
Reactions: Cowby and P85_DA
@3Xenoilphobe: I understand your question, but PLEASE do not lump a Lemon-branded vehicle in with Salvage/Rebuilt-titled vehicles. The latter applies where the car has been wrecked and questionably rebuilt (some things just can't be made new again), and where you have to get a special inspection and paperwork to re-register it.

The Lemon brand simply means that someone got fed up with bringing it in for the same issue multiple times. The issue (in my car's case) has been fixed, and the car is under full warranty for two more years, which should give plenty of peace-of-mind. There is NO difference in registration/insurance for a Lemon vs any other car (I just did it recently!). I'd be happy to discuss this with any potential buyer over the phone, and answer any questions you might have.

I've priced it this way because, looking at similar cars on Cars.com/Autotrader/here, it seems well priced given the (excellent) condition and very high spec (including Ludicrous). Note there is another Lemon-titled 2016 X on Cars.com advertised for more money.

The P100D that you linked is a Model S, and is at least missing the upgrade to bigger wheels (no mention of other options in the ad).

@Marrus - I'll check with my local Service Manager today on the question of purchasing the ESA/Maintenance Plan. I am almost positive they can be purchased.

As I said, I'm happy to answer any questions - my cell is 617 997 7559.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Please let us know what Tesla says about ESA.

And, as a PSA, lemon branded titles can be a great deal if (i) you know the reason for buyback; (ii) you inspect to obtain adequate assurance the issue has been repaired; (iii) you plan on driving the car forever (resale will be a hassle - see this thread and the next point) and (iv) there is a substantial discount vs the same car w/o lemon branded title - not nearly as big a discount as you'd want for salvage/rebuilt but still a decent drop to account for resale hassle and risk that problem wasn't fixed.

I would be interested but not anywhere near $94k. I have been in the car business and a lemon car is a super hard unit to move. You will find that out over time. The public doesn't know or care to know they just hear the word lemon and thats it. I will circle around in a month or two and see where your at on price. Its a beautiful X.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I'm not afraid of lemons, all the cars I have bought turned out to be lemonade... Both my kids are driving salvage cars, my track car is a salvage... price has to be right to move forward. I'm not a dealer, and have bought my last (excluding two Model S''s bought direct) 7 cars off ebay (including one Tesla)..... no fear here, just looking for the steal of a deal - always above the wholesale dudes... avoiding all the middle men... State Trooper who inspected my Miata couldn't believe it was a salvage car... still had the stickers on many of the body panels.. Can looked brand new - just needed an ECU-- and State Police inspection took my tech 2 hours of labor to fix it...

Thanks for everyone's interest. I'd be happy to discuss, and am open to reasonable offers, but I think the car stands on its own. Super high spec, awesome condition, etc. The Lemon issue is clearly documented, has been fully addressed, and is under full warranty for 2 more years.

Anyway, if any of you would like to talk further, please give me a call.

FYI, I inquired with my Service Manager and the ESA is not available for ANY used vehicle - only new. She also believes that to be true for the extended maintenance, but was going to check further. No particular exclusions for Lemons, which makes sense since they only re-sell once the issue has been repaired, which makes it a normal used car...

• Disagree
Reactions: JamesBrown and Maaz
The ESA is available for all used vehicles that meet the under 50K mile/4 year standard that have not had a third-party dealer in the chain of ownership. So, either your car was at some point owned by a third-party dealer, or Tesla won't give you the ESA because of the Lemon brand, or somebody is mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time a Service Manager or other Tesla employee gave bad info on ESA availability.

I believe I am the "3rd party dealer" in this case. That policy seems to be saying that it must be sold by Tesla to you in order to qualify, i.e. through their certified program.

To be clear, I am NOT a dealer, but I think their goal is to ensure the car is inspected by them before offering coverage. Note that tesla refers to their pre-owned/certified cars as "used."

I believe I am the "3rd party dealer" in this case. That policy seems to be saying that it must be sold by Tesla to you in order to qualify, i.e. through their certified program.

To be clear, I am NOT a dealer, but I think their goal is to ensure the car is inspected by them before offering coverage. Note that tesla refers to their pre-owned/certified cars as "used."
You can definitely buy the ESA on a used car (regardless if it was sold from Tesla or a private party). I have purchased used Tesla and I was able add both to my cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Naonak
You can’t buy a Tesla factory extended warranty if there has been a dealer in the chain of ownership. Tesla doesn’t CPO Lemon Law cars so they don’t have to extend the warranty. Marrus asked how you purchased the car because according to Tesla they don’t retail sale their Lemon Law buybacks. You said you are not a dealer but you said you bought it from Tesla, how did that come about?

Surely you can see why it's going to be difficult to sell a car with a lemon branded title that you can't obtain an extended warranty on. The person buying your car is going to have just as hard of a time selling it as you are so you're either going to have to price this very aggressively or just keep the car.

Reactions: Cowby
You guys are seriously beating a dead horse here. The OP has a certain confirmation bias on what he deems the vehicle is worth, even with the lemon title brand. I think that he'll see over time what the market will actually demand as far as pricing on this X. Unfortunately, it may as well be wearing the "Scarlett A."

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Coincidentally just yesterday for a reality check I was looking to trade my daughters absolutely perfect, 5,000 mile, 2017 Infiniti QX30-S (Infiniti rebranded nicer looking Mercedes built GLA) (Mer-Finiti) on a new 2019 BMW X3. We purchased the Infiniti when it was only 2 months old with only 2,000 miles and it was a manufacturer buyback due to a recurring service soon light (SES). All buybacks have branded titles and are referred to as Lemon Law cars. I have a great relationship with the local BMW dealer and have purchased around a dozen new cars from them and always get great discounts, plus above book for my trades as they are always extremely clean. Because of the branded title they said I should not trade it in because they would run it through auction and the best they could do is 20 percent less than Black Book "rough trade in". I checked a few other places and the results were the same for an absolutely like new, loaded, full warranty 5k mile car. Sticker price was $43k in 2017, current wholesale is $26,500+, and trade in offers were a crazy $18-19.5k. Keep in mind the new car was being heavily discounted so they can’t pad the trade.
P.S. I bought the 2019 X3 with no trade, I’ll sell the branded 2017 QX30-S for $23.5k if anyone wants an awesome loaded two tone Nappa leather, Alcantara headliner, compact Sports SUV for cheap.

Last edited:
In now way is this beating a dead horse. One commendable purpose of forums such as TMC is to call out guys who come in with potential BS so that other members aren't deceived. While I can't be 100% sure that the OP is trying to BS people, I'm a bit concerned that he is trying to sell a Lemon branded title car AND providing obvious misinformation about the Tesla ESA policy. That concern increases when he ultimately reveals that he is a Tesla employee who purchased the vehicle through a special program. Although possible, I'm skeptical that a Tesla employee buying a Lemon car through a special program doesn't know the details of the ESA on the specific car and even more skeptical that he would state positions so opposite actual Tesla policy (ESA doesn't exist, only CPO does; Tesla considers private parties "3rd party dealers").

Again, perhaps the OP has a pure heart and is just ignorant of the policies of the company he works for. Or maybe not. Regardless, by coming on to the forum, he should expect to be questioned and called out. This isn't just telling a guy that he is overpricing. This is protecting the TMC community from blatant misinformation.