Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X vs 2018 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
Looking for some general advice as from reading some of the posts in here, i think there are some that have or are going through the dilemma I am going thru right now. I recently just made the decision to go all-in and getting a Tesla. I have narrowed it down to either a used S or X. I am between either a 2017/2018 Model S or 2016 Model X. I have been swaying daily back and forth for about 3 weeks now and just cant decide between the two. Just to provide some factors that are going into my indecision, 1) Family of 4 (2 kids, 4 and 9 year old), 2) Budget of no more than $70k, 3) Currently drive a BMW driver, 4) my office is 5 miles away from home. 5) Wife just got a new BMW X7

I had my heart set on a used X, but seems like the only ones within my budget are the 2016s and the good ones (with AP2) and within my price range are gobbled up within hours of posting. I am now debating if I should get a newer Model S short term, possibility 2-3 years, and then upgrade to the X when the 2018/19s come out of original warranty. I believe that the 2016s also had the MCU1 and the 2018s have the MCU2, not sure how much a difference this actually makes, but being a techie, i want to make sure i have a vehicle that is future-proof. Also, i am an average height guy, about 5'10, but it felt like when you get into an S, you have to slouch your head a little as there seems like low clearance until in the opening until you sit down, then its is comfortable. Am I wrong about this as I only been in an S two times?

A few questions, lets say I select an S that has low mileage (under 20k) and considering my daily usage is low, how much can depreciation, in general, can I be expecting if i decide to trade in and upgrade to an X in 2-3 years. Also, how is the trade-in experience with Tesla if you want to trade in for a newer model, do they use black book or do they offer better deals if you are upgrading? Ultimately, I really want the X, but just thinking if it is worth the short term hit by taking the S with the goal of eventually upgrading to the X.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am really looking forward to my first Tesla, hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks if something good comes up. Thanks in advance.

MCU2 is a huge difference. I would not get a MCU1 car.

I’m 5’10” and the headroom is a lot less in an S since it’s designed like a 4 door coupe rather than a typical sedan. Like a 6 gran coupe than a 5 series.

Tesla gives very low trade in values and will not match Carmax if trading in a Tesla for another one. On the other hand, they sometimes give good deals on showroom or inventory cars. Especially within 2-3 weeks of quarter end or fiscal year end. We got $68k off 2018 MSRP from our demo, but still new, never titled 2018 S P100D with 2,500 miles back in March. Thats about $30k off current prices since they have lowered prices on the S and X in early 2019.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Selfishly, i think the S would benefit my driving style as I am very agressive, especially on the freeways, hence me having a BMW, but I think Tesla would be a game changer for me in terms of speed and acceleration. The prudent side of me tells me I should get an X since I have 2 kids and maybe the bigger model might curb my driving style. But the i like the interior room with the X (6 seater) since i currently drive a BMW 7 and the interior feels similar to the S and will be all crammed withb2 kids.
Also, is possible to pay to upgrade to MCU2 or is it like the AP were your stuck if you have AP1?

Thanks, everywhere i have read states that the interior quality of teslas are the least desirable part of the car considering the price of the car, which I am Ok with. How would you say the interior room is as far as space and comfortabilty?

MCU2 is a huge difference. I would not get a MCU1 car.

I’m 5’10” and the headroom is a lot less in an S since it’s designed like a 4 door coupe rather than a typical sedan. Like a 6 gran coupe than a 5 series.

Tesla gives very low trade in values and will not match Carmax if trading in a Tesla for another one. On the other hand, they sometimes give good deals on showroom or inventory cars. Especially within 2-3 weeks of quarter end or fiscal year end. We got $68k off 2018 MSRP from our demo, but still new, never titled 2018 S P100D with 2,500 miles back in March. Thats about $30k off current prices since they have lowered prices on the S and X in early 2019.

In regards to the MCU1 vs MCU2, since im coming from a small screen idrive, i am thinking the big tablet screen will be a signifiant upgrade even if its an MCU1. Being a techie, are there alot of bugs, is the MCU1 significantly slow/lags, alot of problems that will drive someone crazy?

We have both a MCU2 (P3D) and a MCU1 (X). I would say MCU2 is more responsive and much quicker and certain things like mapping w/superchargers on-route. But once you have set your destination + music playlist its more or less the same experience. The major things missing are Netflix while supercharging and Caraoke (for me at least).

For family use the X is far better than the S, but if you have a X7 it may not matter.

The whole MCU1 'issue' is way over exaggerated. Yes MCU 2 is faster but compared to virtually every other manufacture out there. I've done 41k miles in MCU1 cars, no complaints apart from the intermittent web browser.

Unless you place Netflix as a priority the extra utility a X offers for a family shouldn't be dismissed. The rear doors really make life easy with kids, grand parents, everyone actually!

You guys are not factoring in future toys that won’t be available to MCU1.

All this stuff in V10 is just the start.

And will V20 run on MCU 2??

The main purpose of these cars are still to transport people. If you have a family the X is simply better than the S. The infotainment system of any car is only one part of choosing which car to buy?

Our X regularly take us + grandparents along for weekend road trips. Infact we are just planning next years summer holiday where we'll probably have a fully loaded car for a whole week of touring Scotland. Can a MCU 2 equipped S carry 6 people in comfort for a 1000 mile+ road trip?

For actual infotainment, the last time I checked even my daughters $200 Android tablet runs Netflix, oh and can download games from the Plau store, and has LTE data access. Makes the MCU2 actually look very limited if you playing games is what you want :).

The main 'toy' Tesla offer is AP, and unless Tesla do a major U turn, even our AP2.0 cars should get updated to HW 3.0 at some point.......Though I know at this point the retrofits haven't started.

Reactions: Yoitskenn
How do you run Waze on MCU1? Thanks!

Why do need to run Waze?

Apart from the utility and powered doors, the other main thing I love about the X is the windsceen, its like been in a convertible but without the cold/insects/smelling surrounding traffic.

Why would you want to stare at a screen when the views out of the drivers seat are this good?

44989352691_e7bf7ec415_k_d.jpg

There is a reason why the OP can only get a 2016 X for the same amount of money a 2018 S commands. The X is simply unique, there literally is no other car on the road like it, even Musk have said Tesla will never make another car so complex.

The only car I would trade in our X for is another X, but actually ours does the family role so well we will be keeping it till the 8 year battery/motor warranty runs out. By than the powered doors, extra space, massive windscreen will still be unique, where as a MCU2.0 S will be massively dated compared to the MCU 4/5 cars ;).

I have both and would recommend you towards the newer Model S for your family as your wife just picked up a new X7. If your other car wasn’t a larger SUV, I would instead suggest the Model X as it’s a terrific daily commuter, is very fast for its type of vehicle, is useful in tons of ways, and has great unique features (auto presenting doors, panoramic windscreen, etc). Personally, I think it’s a perfect all-in-one daily vehicle.

But as you already have a large SUV, the newer year Model S will have updated tech and perhaps better build quality, works great as a family car, and is more agile for fun and aggressive driving. I believe depreciation over a short time may hit more severely for a Model S purchase over an X, but that’s just a guess. Good luck!

Reactions: gangzoom
Thank you all for taking the time and responding to my post. Just 2 more questions

1) As far as range anxiety and long road trips, considering that i am an aggressive driver and would avg about 70-85 on long trips (az to ca = speed limit is 70) and the 2016 having a range of 237 and the S a range of 249, how much can i guestimate my actual range be?
2) Since Tesla offers 4 year/50000 warranty, is that bumper to bumper and cover everything, to include any issues/upgrades to MCU or AP?

Thanks again in advance

2) Hardware upgrades probably not covered. Software updates are included. Warranty covers most things *except* cosmetic issues and wear/tear issues that you fail to point out on delivery. E.g. if you are not happy about paint, dents, broken plastic pieces, torn leather, etc, you can ask them to fix it at delivery, but they can choose to decline. After delivery it's out of pocket cost for you.

2) Hardware upgrades probably not covered. Software updates are included. Warranty covers most things *except* cosmetic issues and wear/tear issues that you fail to point out on delivery. E.g. if you are not happy about paint, dents, broken plastic pieces, torn leather, etc, you can ask them to fix it at delivery, but they can choose to decline. After delivery it's out of pocket cost for you.

Thanks adaboost, so any issues with the MCU is covered under warranty. From what I read, seems like since there are many MCU1s, they'll just replaced it with a refurbished one, i think.