Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X - want to add a hitch.....what's are the latest options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Forum Brain Trust-

I have a 2016 Model X. As far as I know, there's no tow package that came originally with the car (I bought it used) and I don't see a hitch receiver on the rear of my X.

What are my options as far as adding a hitch to my X? I want to tow a dirt bike trailer with two dirt bikes, so I'm not looking at pulling a huge trailer or anything like that.

Look in the store to see if there is a “tow bar” package. If there is, order it. If not, probably make a SC appt. or call/visit SC parts dept. Some people sell there “tow bar”. New cars don’t need and software change. Not sure if old ones do, they used to.

Reactions: ualdriver
Last year (May 2020) I thought the same thing with my 2017 MX 75D, but decided to contact (e-mailed) the service center here in Toronto just to see what they would say.
A service advisor got back to me asking for my VIN number. Provided them with the number and was told:

"Thank you for providing your vehicle VIN, the cost for the Tow Package is $594.75+HST. If you would like to go ahead you can self-schedule on the Tesla Mobile App

The tow package includes the tow hitch itself. It will be placed in the trunk with instructions on how to attach it to the re-bar."

So it may be worth contacting your nearest service center to see if it's eligible.

Good luck!

Reactions: ualdriver
Tesla Forum Brain Trust-

I have a 2016 Model X. As far as I know, there's no tow package that came originally with the car (I bought it used) and I don't see a hitch receiver on the rear of my X.

What are my options as far as adding a hitch to my X? I want to tow a dirt bike trailer with two dirt bikes, so I'm not looking at pulling a huge trailer or anything like that.
There’s a place for you to add a hitch. I’m currently selling one.

I just installed draw tite hitch. Purchased under 200 bucks at uhaul and had them install for another 225. Was able to attach a motorcycle rack with dirt bike on it. Now trying to figure out the wiring as mine also came with no hardware for towing. There is a molex connector that one can use to plug in 39 dollar connector from Tesla. I ordered one and will try it.

Reactions: infiniteloop
I just installed draw tite hitch. Purchased under 200 bucks at uhaul and had them install for another 225. Was able to attach a motorcycle rack with dirt bike on it. Now trying to figure out the wiring as mine also came with no hardware for towing. There is a molex connector that one can use to plug in 39 dollar connector from Tesla. I ordered one and will try it.
Hi! Was just wondering which motorcycle rack you installed on it