Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 MS inconsistent charge %

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 S90D not being driven much these days but drove from Austin to Enchanted Rock yesterday which was roughly 85 miles each way. Range charged to 100% night before expecting an easy round trip on single charge. On the return trip navigation said I'd get home with 19% battery and pulling into the neighborhood it showed 18% so looking good so far. Stopped at the mailboxes and when I got back in the car received warning that I need to recharge immediately on main screen and the wait for car to power up on the dash screen (about 30 seconds before car would turn on). Plugged in with charge set to 80% for that night and dash still showing 18% charge. Checked charging limit before bed on the mobile app and battery level showed to be 9% (this was about 5 hours to drain from 18% to 9%). Checked app in the morning and first screen showed 80% battery but when I went to the charging option it now showed 87%. A few hours later it still shows 87%.

Anyone else experiencing odd reading like this or thoughts on the cause?

This is normal. Your car will lose significant range as the battery cools at a low state of charge.

If I park my car after a long trip at sub ~20% SoC, it will quite often lose 5% or more in the first few hours.

Thanks for the feedback. After 5+ years with this car it's entirely new behavior so I'm having a hard time marking it up as normal. But I learn new stuff all the time :)

I've noticed it a bit more as the car ages as well (also have a 2016 MS). Maybe it's "enhanced" in later firmwares that are more aggressive about protecting the battery. I suspect the capacity isn't actually "lost" anywhere, it's just not available for propulsion as the battery cools as a protection mechanism.

100 here and similar behavior. Cooling batteries definitely cause a drop, but not all the time. Heck, I SC'ed on Monday and around 80% the charge really started to slow. I got home with 236 miles remaining and when I checked a few hours later it was 256, and was 255 twenty-four hrs later, so this time, it went up.....