Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 MS Interior Color Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I’m excited to be joining the Tesla community here soon. I’m looking at a 2016.5 MS P100D, and the only part killing the deal for me is the interior. It’s tan, the color I most dislike. My thought was I could always order Taptes covers for the seats, then find the trim pieces on eBay to replace all the other tan parts. Does this seem reasonable? Is there a better way to go about it?
My other question would be about compatibility. Does anyone have experience with different years not fitting correctly for trim, glovebox, door cards, center console, headliner?
I’m getting an amazing deal on the car, so don’t mind dropping a couple thousand to get what I want.

FWIW, when I was seeking our first Model S, I would only consider those with black interiors. After owning one for a brief period I discovered that black seats become very hot in sunlight. Even with dark tinted windows they are difficult to sit on even if sitting in the sun only a brief period. I can't imagine how people do it that don't get their windows tinted. Since then, we pretty much seek out tan or white interiors and it makes a tremendous difference. I still prefer the way black looks over tan but for day to day livability the tan is better. White is my favorite both in looks and function as it applies to heat but that started in cars in 2017 so before that you were left with black, tan and a small percentage of cars had gray interiors.

FWIW, when I was seeking our first Model S, I would only consider those with black interiors. After owning one for a brief period I discovered that black seats become very hot in sunlight. Even with dark tinted windows they are difficult to sit on even if sitting in the sun only a brief period. I can't imagine how people do it that don't get their windows tinted. Since then, we pretty much seek out tan or white interiors and it makes a tremendous difference. I still prefer the way black looks over tan but for day to day livability the tan is better. White is my favorite both in looks and function as it applies to heat but that started in cars in 2017 so before that you were left with black, tan and a small percentage of cars had gray interiors.
You can pre condition the vehicle from the app so you should never have an issue with the interior being so hot you can’t sit on it…

I agree with the original poster tan is a complete deal breaker when it comes to purchasing any car.. makes it look like an old lady owns it.. hold out for black or white interior, but be careful as the older black interiors do not hold up well over time. I’ve seen a ton that look awful after only 30k miles or so

You can pre condition the vehicle from the app so you should never have an issue with the interior being so hot you can’t sit on it…

I agree with the original poster tan is a complete deal breaker when it comes to purchasing any car.. makes it look like an old lady owns it.. hold out for black or white interior, but be careful as the older black interiors do not hold up well over time. I’ve seen a ton that look awful after only 30k miles or so
I'm well aware of preconditioning, what it is and what it can and cannot do. It's helpful in some situations but not all.

Short and frequent stops will leave the seat exposed to the sunlight and each time you get back in the surface of the seats is super hot. The examples of this being annoying are varied and numerous. One such example is that my wife and I will often times go to garage sales and each time we get back in her legs are burned due to her shorts not covering the back of her legs entirely. This also applies anytime we run into a convenience store to get snacks or other quick stops. You don't think to trigger the preconditioning every time and in many cases it wouldn't even have the time to cool the interior enough to cool the surface of the seats.

Tan & white interiors don't get hot on the skin when you get in... regardless of if you precondition or not. This falls in the same category for me of 21" wheels look cool but 19" wheels are far better to live with every day and provide a better user experience. In the end, it's a choice that each owner needs to make. I prefer the look of black to tan but tan is far better to live with every day for the reasons I mentioned. IMO the white not only looks the best but also completely eliminates hot seat surfaces in all conditions.

I'm well aware of preconditioning, what it is and what it can and cannot do. It's helpful in some situations but not all.

Short and frequent stops will leave the seat exposed to the sunlight and each time you get back in the surface of the seats is super hot. The examples of this being annoying are varied and numerous. One such example is that my wife and I will often times go to garage sales and each time we get back in her legs are burned due to her shorts not covering the back of her legs entirely. This also applies anytime we run into a convenience store to get snacks or other quick stops. You don't think to trigger the preconditioning every time and in many cases it wouldn't even have the time to cool the interior enough to cool the surface of the seats.

Tan & white interiors don't get hot on the skin when you get in... regardless of if you precondition or not. This falls in the same category for me of 21" wheels look cool but 19" wheels are far better to live with every day and provide a better user experience. In the end, it's a choice that each owner needs to make. I prefer the look of black to tan but tan is far better to live with every day for the reasons I mentioned. IMO the white not only looks the best but also completely eliminates hot seat surfaces in all conditions.
I agree with the wheels but they have way more pros and cons than just looks..range and ride comfort are huge reasons to pick the smaller wheels.. but to have a beautiful car interior be made hideous due to a tan interior only to avoid an occasional very slight inconvenience is silly.

I agree with the wheels but they have way more pros and cons than just looks..range and ride comfort are huge reasons to pick the smaller wheels.. but to have a beautiful car interior be made hideous due to a tan interior only to avoid an occasional very slight inconvenience is silly.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to project your infrequency in facing this real issue on me as if it somehow discredits our experience in some sort of an effort to change my mind. It's kind of odd and I'm not sure why some people on this forum are so bent on arguing over the silliest things. I only offered my first-hand experience as food for thought for something others may not have considered in the conversation about interior color which is otherwise just a matter of opinion which differs from person to person. One person loves the look of a black interior, another person loves the look of a tan interior. Who cares? My wife's legs getting burnt every time we get in and out of a car dozens of times on an otherwise enjoyable sunny Saturday morning is an issue and one we ONLY experience with black seats. The alternative is tan or white seats which have no negatives other than you don't like the look so.... what is it you're trying to convince me of here and why should I care?

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I'm not sure why you feel the need to project your infrequency in facing this real issue on me as if it somehow discredits our experience in some sort of an effort to change my mind. It's kind of odd and I'm not sure why some people on this forum are so bent on arguing over the silliest things. I only offered my first-hand experience as food for thought for something others may not have considered in the conversation about interior color which is otherwise just a matter of opinion which differs from person to person. One person loves the look of a black interior, another person loves the look of a tan interior. Who cares? My wife's legs getting burnt every time we get in and out of a car dozens of times on an otherwise enjoyable sunny Saturday morning is an issue and one we ONLY experience with black seats. The alternative is tan or white seats which have no negatives other than you don't like the look so.... what is it you're trying to convince me of here and why should I care?
That was a bit dramatic lol.. it’s not a real issue.. it’s an occasional slight inconvenience.. wear pants

I agree with you on the white seats, best color by far! Fortunately we’re all entitled to our own opinion, and have different priorities. For me, seats getting hot isn’t an Issue because it rarely gets above 80 degrees.
I’m going to pick up the P100D on Sunday, and will most likely swap out the seats or put covers on eventually.

i can understand wanting to change the interior color, although wanting white seats had more to do with the textile fabric getting discolored in my instance. No matter how careful I was during summer, sweating on those seats is a nightmare. Recently, i ordered some white seats from Taptes, and Im pretty happy with how they look and feel. I also changed out the piano black trim and i think it looks sharp. I would like the armbolsters in white but that is a bit difficult because they are not fastened with screws. Ordering another door panel or 4 rather is prob not very economical not to mention changing out the dashboard trim. I am still working on figuring it out, but wanted to encourage you to let us know what you end up doing.

Quick update, I found a 2016 MS P100D with updated bumpers but the 1.0 autopilot software. Still has 2 years of warranty left, and 101,000 miles. I got it for $53k, which I think seems like a great deal. I’m actually starting to like the red/tan, so I don’t think I want to change it. It came with 19” wheels, so I found a set of the 21” wheels & tires for $1,000 that I’m going to pick up Wednesday. I’m also going to wrap the chrome in black and call it good! Absolutely love the car, SO fun to drive. Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: Durwood101