Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 MX Door Latch Repair Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 is out of warranty and wow - things are getting expensive. My drivers door latch is not working. The dealership is charging close to $1000 to replace it.

Any way to try to do this DIY or other repair shops that work on Tesla?

I believe I saw a video, either here or Youtube, with someone changing parts in the driver's door. Parts should be available from Tesla. It seemed like there were a lot of steps to open up the door, but didn't look too difficult if you are inclined. Try searching this forum or the Internet. The labor is probably high because of the time it takes. Let us know how you fair, as I am sure when my warranty is up I'll be looking at the same things. :cool:

Reactions: hcdavis3
Alright - got it working again. I noticed that if I pulled up on the door and closed, the latch mechanism worked fine also pushing on the middle of the door seemed to work. So the issue seemed to be alignment between the door and the hinge. I unscrewed the hinge and tried to position it lower. That seems to have fixed it for now.

Reactions: Les236
I realize that I’m the only one replying to my OP 😆 but I think I’ve figured out the issue - if it helps any one else. I don’t believe the actuator is the problem. I believe the original actuator on my ‘16 Tesla must have a lower tolerance when the door becomes misaligned (i.e. sagging). If you simply realign the door, it fixes it - at least if your issue is similar to mine. There are a number of ways to do this and get a slightly sagging door back. I used a block of wood technique found on a youtube video as a quick fix (
). It did end up working!
A better solutions is probably an adjuster tool or I’ve seen folks who actually loosen, jack up the door, and re-tighten.

Check this post out. Model X door handle issue
Tesla does not carry the old (2016) latching actuators any longer. I went through the same assumptions you are going through. I did the door alignment thinking it was out of alignment. The problem always returns because it was a faulty latching actuator. The new latches require a kit that adds several new parts and door panel, hence the cost.

Check this post out. Model X door handle issue
Tesla does not carry the old (2016) latching actuators any longer. I went through the same assumptions you are going through. I did the door alignment thinking it was out of alignment. The problem always returns because it was a faulty latching actuator. The new latches require a kit that adds several new parts and door panel, hence the cost.