Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 MX start up time - what is normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 MX seems to be taking longer and longer to start up of a morning. I double checked the energy saving settings, all are turned off. Connectivity is set to always on, yet of a morning the main instrument cluster is taking about 25seconds to come fully to life and allow the car to be driveable. Big screen comes on straight away. (It takes up to 10 seconds for the Tesla T to appear on the instrument display). It only seems to be this slow in the morning, ie after 12 hours or so of rest during the night. Is this normal? It is booked in to the SC in a couple of weeks (for suspected eMMC issue) and I am not sure whether to add this to the list of things for them to look at. (Currently running s/w 48.12.1)

For me it seems to be the other way around. My instrument binnacle, in front of the driver comes on quickly but the centre screen can take 60 seconds or so, and even then I can get waiting for car to start message for a bit longer.
I get around it somewhat by opening the drivers door a crack, walk around and un-plug, put stuff in the boot if necessary then come back and get in.

My mid 2017 Model X is experiencing the same thing. Not only in the morning but other times of day as well. I had a similar issue with Model S and then the MCU failed. After the MCU was fixed the problem resolved. I am wondering if was just a coincidence or if it is a warning that the MCU is failing.

Reactions: mrpseudonym
My mid 2017 Model X is experiencing the same thing. Not only in the morning but other times of day as well. I had a similar issue with Model S and then the MCU failed. After the MCU was fixed the problem resolved. I am wondering if was just a coincidence or if it is a warning that the MCU is failing.
Thanks @BenT can I ask what other symptoms there were before your MCU failed? And is the car still able to be driven if MCU fails?

Thanks @BenT can I ask what other symptoms there were before your MCU failed? And is the car still able to be driven if MCU fails?
Symptoms will vary. MCU is a computer doing a lot of different things. Whichever one tries to use a damaged part of eMMC will have some kind of problem.

You can practice denial, “Not sure flaky xyz is an eMMC problem since I haven’t seen any mention of that. Maybe I don’t really have an eMMC problem...” You‘re simply raising the odds you will get stuck with a bricked car at a time and place when it’s extraordinarily inconvenient and/or risky.

My 2016 MX seems to be taking longer and longer to start up of a morning. I double checked the energy saving settings, all are turned off. Connectivity is set to always on, yet of a morning the main instrument cluster is taking about 25seconds to come fully to life and allow the car to be driveable. Big screen comes on straight away. (It takes up to 10 seconds for the Tesla T to appear on the instrument display). It only seems to be this slow in the morning, ie after 12 hours or so of rest during the night. Is this normal? It is booked in to the SC in a couple of weeks (for suspected eMMC issue) and I am not sure whether to add this to the list of things for them to look at. (Currently running s/w 48.12.1)

My 2016 MX had the same symptoms and had done about 155,000kms. It is clearly an eMMC originating issue but Tesla vehemently deny this and simply state the eMMC has not yet failed. Their stated position is that unless the MCU drops dead, they will not do anything to address slow starts, slow performance etc, etc.

A couple of weeks ago I fixed Tesla's problem by paying them $4000 to upgrade my MCU to version 2.

Thanks @Murbs
Yes, pretty much convinced eMMC issue covers a bunch of the things I am experiencing. Getting that fixed under warranty now is easier than it used to be. Question now is .. if I have an option to upgrade to MCU 2 is it worth doing? (I am already on my second MCU 1..)

Thanks @Murbs
Yes, pretty much convinced eMMC issue covers a bunch of the things I am experiencing. Getting that fixed under warranty now is easier than it used to be. Question now is .. if I have an option to upgrade to MCU 2 is it worth doing? (I am already on my second MCU 1..)
MCU2 is a complete departure from what you're used to. It basically solves everything that is bad about your car.
If you've paid for FSD then the clear answer is yes. If you haven't, then it depends on how much longer you want to hold onto your car given a shiny new version of the Model X is coming out early next year.
There is still Tesla's Warranty Enhancement Program for old MCUs, but this runs out after your car has done 160,000kms (or 8 years). But as I've said before, Tesla refuses to invoke it unless your MCU1 drops dead.

Other symptoms were glitching of the MCU ( areas freezing/ slow maps etc). When the MCU failed the car was still drivable albeit without any of the controls on the MCU and for some reason with no indicators (at first i thought it might be just no electrical sound of the indicator but i confirmed no indicator lights). Also the app would not connect. Given this we chose not to drive it except driving to service. MCU now fixed and all good.

This is going way back and recollection only by memory.. Can you clear/swipe away all your recents and favourites in the navigation (and maybe contacts). I vaguely recall this has sped up slow / non-responsive MCU1's. You can then re-add the important ones again.

My slow start up only started about a month ago, when I uploaded the latest s/w release. If the car sits too long, then the startup is a good 30 secs or more. If I am running errands and have only been out of the car for 5-60 mins, it starts up very fast, like it did on the old s/w version. Did anyone have luck with clearing the nav history?

My slow start up only started about a month ago, when I uploaded the latest s/w release. If the car sits too long, then the startup is a good 30 secs or more. If I am running errands and have only been out of the car for 5-60 mins, it starts up very fast, like it did on the old s/w version. Did anyone have luck with clearing the nav history?
My mcu1 2017 X (~30,000km) instrument cluster is giving me the “T” (startup) more consistently since the last update. Quite painful when I’m in a hurry, but otherwise no big deal. Centre screen instantly available so at least I can get the gate open while waiting. I put it down to some power saving settings I haven’t looked at in some time. Haven’t tried the nav history thing, but I thought that’d more likely have an impact on centre screen performance.