Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with AP2 for $79K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is now a CPO P100D with a 4 year warranty and AP2 available for $88K. P100Ds are coming down in price...

With the 4 year CPO warranty this car is almost as good of a deal.

Model S P100D 5YJSA1E44GF174172 | Tesla
That grey $88.9k P100D in Orlando has been for sale for about 3 months and was down to 93k in early November. It must not be a very nice car if it doesn’t sell. For that much money it’s not worth buying a beat up car if you can get a nicer one for a bit more. A $90k car should be in pristine condition no matter what it cost new.

Reactions: darxsys
That grey $88.9k P100D in Orlando has been for sale for about 3 months and was down to 93k in early November. It must not be a very nice car if it doesn’t sell. For that much money it’s not worth buying a beat up car if you can get a nicer one for a bit more. A $90k car should be in pristine condition no matter what it cost new.

I totally agree about the car having to be pristine. IMHO any used car over $50,000 should be pristine. Anyone looking to buy a used Tesla at these prices should reject delivery and walk away if the car is damaged.

They were playing pricing games with this particular car though. It was listed for the low 90s and then they increased the price by about $15K and have been reducing the price a few hundred dollars or so every day or several days for the last couple of months. This is the lowest it has been though and currently the lowest price P100D with AP2 that I can find.

Wonder if this car would have sold sooner if they didn't play games with the cost of the car.

Has anyone seen the photos for this car?

I thought the price adjusts automatically based on how many visits the web page gets
The price was lowered, then posted here drawing many views thereby raising the price of the car

Why go to all that trouble when it can be a random number generator? :p

Seriously though, the trend I have seen is that prices go down a few hundred every day or every several days and then when it hits some price target, it goes up by $10-15K sometimes only to start the downward adjustments all over again.

A horrible way to sell cars.

At least with a dealer if a car is overpriced by $10K, you can make an offer and they may consider it and make a counter offer. Now it's some perverse reverse auction game they play with prices. It's almost like they looked at how used cars are sold and decided to come up with a system that is worse in every possible way, including how they price the cars with the games they play with the prices.

Reactions: AMPd and Inside
Is the general consensus to stay away from anything sold at auction? Here are a few p85d and p90d that seemed like good prices and in better condition than CPO cars.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/757844701/overview?aff=share_text

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/756670210/overview?aff=share_text

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759305374/overview?aff=share_text
As a reference, when I decided to turn in my Porsche 911C4 before lease end, the bank just told me to drive it straight to the auction house, which is where the car was sold. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a different car.

I totally agree about the car having to be pristine. IMHO any used car over $50,000 should be pristine. Anyone looking to buy a used Tesla at these prices should reject delivery and walk away if the car is damaged.

They were playing pricing games with this particular car though. It was listed for the low 90s and then they increased the price by about $15K and have been reducing the price a few hundred dollars or so every day or several days for the last couple of months. This is the lowest it has been though and currently the lowest price P100D with AP2 that I can find.

Wonder if this car would have sold sooner if they didn't play games with the cost of the car.

Has anyone seen the photos for this car?
Almost all the newer P cars jumped back in price around the same time if you look at the pricing history. They will keep working their way back down and eventually get back to the old prices. It is the craziest auto pricing system I’ve ever seen, almost like they’re trying to teach buyers a lesson.

Almost all the newer P cars jumped back in price around the same time if you look at the pricing history. They will keep working their way back down and eventually get back to the old prices. It is the craziest auto pricing system I’ve ever seen, almost like they’re trying to teach buyers a lesson.
It's a FOMO based system, not invented by Tesla either (I have seen ICE dealership on the east coast do it). As the price for the car you want is going down, the buyer has 2 FOMO pressures
  1. Is there someone else who wants it more and is going to snap it up from me
  2. When is the car price going to skyrocket back up, at which point back to waiting while worrying about #1 all over
FOMO is a surprisingly strong motivator (ask people who paid for FSD, some even upgrading at a more expensive price after Tesla removed FSD as an option from their website).

Last edited:

The lesson would be on them when the sale of cars are needlessly delayed by weeks or months., Most people looking to buy a car probably have some sort of a budget...

From the few cars I'm following, these games are not working as some cars have gone up and down the reverse auction price game multiple times with no one buying.

It's a FOMO based system, not invented by Tesla either (I have seen ICE dealership on the east coast do it). As the price for the car you want is going down, the buyer has 2 FOMO pressures
  1. Is there someone else who wants it more and is going to snap it up from me
  2. When is the car price going to skyrocket back up, at which point back to waiting while worrying about #1 all over
FOMO is a surprisingly strong motivator (ask people who paid for FSD, some even upgrading at a more expensive price after Tesla removed FSD as an option from their website).

Cars depreciate in value every day and though car dealers play this game, there is nothing preventing a customer from making an offer. If the offer is reasonable, the dealer will accept the offer.

Except in this case you have no way to make an offer and that's a big differentiator.

Personally with us, these games are not working. Our budget remains the same. They could have sold us a P85D months ago if they did not play games with their prices. The way we see it now, we are no longer even interested in a P85D and will wait for P100D prices to come down and add a bit extra to our budget, which should happen in about 8-10 months from now.

So with us, the net result of these games have been that we have delayed our purchase and we are no longer even interested in buying the car we were interested in buying 6 months ago.

They now have CPO P85Ds for the low 50s listed for weeks with no one buying. I wonder how many of those P85Ds they could have sold for $60K months ago, if they were not so busy playing games with their pricing.

Ultimately the market decides what something is worth and I'm not sure how effective are the games they play with prices. I can say the pricing games have not worked with us.

and on the other hand, there's those people who got socked for 5 k in repairs right out the door. Glad you had good luck.

Interesting that you need to throw cold water in here. I'd like to know the percentage of owners who "got socked for ($)5 k in repairs right out the door." I'd bet they're pretty rare. I don't know anyone who did. Did you? Do you?

I sold my first S on a RAV4EV forum. It was bought in four hours. The poor sucker still drives it, and it still looks beautiful.

Reactions: FlyinLow