Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with AP2 for $79K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found this 2016 P100D for $79K. It seems to be in immaculate shape with AP2, unless I'm mistaken. We are looking for a different color combination but I thought this might be a compelling car for someone looking to buy a performance Model S.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759269609/overview/

Am I missing anything with this vehicle or is this a pretty decent deal?

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
30CE3F5C-6B5D-4921-9B32-3A879AFDE69E.png
Go to the dealer site. CARFAX report is available.

Front bumper looks like a different color. Would pull a carfax on it. Looks like a good buy if it's not a rebuild

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Beware like a hawk any of the lux car lots. They typically buy auction cars and there is a reason cars go to auction.

If it has been fixed, Tesla will have tied the parts order to the ViN. I'd check with Tesla before getting too excited.

Interesting that the Fair/Good price chart shows the price is still too high :)

Beware like a hawk any of the lux car lots. They typically buy auction cars and there is a reason cars go to auction.

If it has been fixed, Tesla will have tied the parts order to the ViN. I'd check with Tesla before getting too excited.

Interesting that the Fair/Good price chart shows the price is still too high :)

I will expand on this. A while back I bought a BMW from one of these types of dealerships. Got a great deal at that time. At purchase there was no indication of any problems. Clean 2 owner carfax.

Jump forward 3 years when I tried to trade it in. Apparently 2 years after I bought it Carfax started to report structural damage from new info they received from the auction house that sold the car to the dealership I bought it from. After some back and forth I was refunded some $$$ from that dealer but still took a big hit on the trade in.

Proceed with caution.

I did a very extensive search of any P85D I could find a few months ago. I was looking for one with ludicrous and rear facing seats. I found a few from dealers and was close to buying one. I had gotten a tip that many service center will send you the monroney (window) sticker of a tesla if you give them the Vin. This is ymmv, many will say they can only release to owners. But if you call enough service centers, you'll find someone to send it to you.

When I called about the car I was interested in, the service rep also mentioned that the car had some work done and had the rear quarter panel replaced. The carfax was clean. This was enough for me to skip the purchase. I ended up finding a cpo with my specifications. You can search my posts, I made a long write up on it if you're interested.

Bottom line, like the poster above mentioned, teslas on other dealer lots are almost always auction, and if they're an auction there was likely a specific reason tesla turned them away for their cpo program.

I did a very extensive search of any P85D I could find a few months ago. I was looking for one with ludicrous and rear facing seats. I found a few from dealers and was close to buying one. I had gotten a tip that many service center will send you the monroney (window) sticker of a tesla if you give them the Vin. This is ymmv, many will say they can only release to owners. But if you call enough service centers, you'll find someone to send it to you.

When I called about the car I was interested in, the service rep also mentioned that the car had some work done and had the rear quarter panel replaced. The carfax was clean. This was enough for me to skip the purchase. I ended up finding a cpo with my specifications. You can search my posts, I made a long write up on it if you're interested.

Bottom line, like the poster above mentioned, teslas on other dealer lots are almost always auction, and if they're an auction there was likely a specific reason tesla turned them away for their cpo program.

Wait, Tesla CPO has standards? :p

am I the only one who won't touch a third party dealer car because you can't get extra warranty?

You're probably not the only one. I'm sure there are other unwise people out there.

I did a thorough background check of my S85 that I bought from a dealer in Atlanta (and the dealer also). It was sold new as a demo car and the warranty was good until 53,000 (had 38k when I bought it). So I had 15k miles to fix any deficiencies anyway. I also learned that it was built in February 2015 so I knew it wasn't a rush job. The dealer I bought it from had incredible reviews and my conversations with them pre-purchase gave me great confidence in them. I have immense respect for them still.

I now have 62,000 miles on the car and it hasn't had a single problem. I'm $4700 (plus $200 for any repair) to the good. I'd have to spend at least $4901 in repairs over the next 41,000 miles to lose a single dollar. Given that the battery and drive train are warranted through that time, I am fully confident that the odds are on my side.

I think anyone that has a car that has had no or even minor issues through the first 50k is a moron to spend $5k on a warranty that MIGHT provide as much as $7k in repairs. Not a very good bet.

I will also tell you that if you buy a car that you think is SO bad that you need to have a warranty on it for 50k miles, you should probably consider buying another brand. I was, and am still FULLY confident that my dealer purchased Tesla Model S will roll right on past 100k miles with no needed repairs. I'll go on a nice vacation with that money.

Last edited:
I also purchased from a dealer and so far very happy with that decision. The car only had 10,300 miles at purchase so only gave up that many miles of warranty compared to buying from Tesla. Which I tried to do but that's another story.

It was traded for a new Mercedes and was is immaculate.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I just found this 2016 P100D for $79K. It seems to be in immaculate shape with AP2, unless I'm mistaken. We are looking for a different color combination but I thought this might be a compelling car for someone looking to buy a performance Model S.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759269609/overview/

Am I missing anything with this vehicle or is this a pretty decent deal?
Are we going to overlook that it has ludicrous mode too? Wow

am I the only one who won't touch a third party dealer car because you can't get extra warranty?

I won't touch one either!

You're probably not the only one. I'm sure there are other unwise people out there.

I did a thorough background check of my S85 that I bought from a dealer in Atlanta (and the dealer also). It was sold new as a demo car and the warranty was good until 53,000 (had 38k when I bought it). So I had 15k miles to fix any deficiencies anyway. I also learned that it was built in February 2015 so I knew it wasn't a rush job. The dealer I bought it from had incredible reviews and my conversations with them pre-purchase gave me great confidence in them. I have immense respect for them still.

I now have 62,000 miles on the car and it hasn't had a single problem. I'm $4700 (plus $200 for any repair) to the good. I'd have to spend at least $4901 in repairs over the next 41,000 miles to lose a single dollar. Given that the battery and drive train are warranted through that time, I am fully confident that the odds are on my side.

I think anyone that has a car that has had no or even minor issues through the first 50k is a moron to spend $5k on a warranty that MIGHT provide as much as $7k in repairs. Not a very good bet.

I will also tell you that if you buy a car that you think is SO bad that you need to have a warranty on it for 50k miles, you should probably consider buying another brand. I was, and am still FULLY confident that my dealer purchased Tesla Model S will roll right on past 100k miles with no needed repairs. I'll go on a nice vacation with that money.

This is called anecdotal evidence.