Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with free unlimited supercharging for life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can SC01 be transferred if can is purchased via vroom, shift etc

• SC01: The car has unlimited free supercharging enabled and this is transferable to the next owner via a private sale. This can only occur on cars registered before April 2017 but not all cars will have it.

Reactions: Target
Well on battery day, Elon said plaid in late 2021. The fact that in late Jan, they announced a plaid variant for $120k with insane specs, updated interior, and delivery expected shortly is actually great news for many people who initially thought they’d have to spend $20k-$30k more and wait another 8 months.
For those that ordered the plaid plus, that’s a different story since it’s now $10k more and mid 2022. If it were me, I’d just go with a regular plaid and save $30k. You can always trade it later for a plaid plus once they’ve sorted it all out.
Whoever bought this car will not get FUSC like mentioned in the original post. Yes, they are rare but in a bad way since FSD is a requirement for almost all Tesla potential owners. I however don’t think any of these earlier Model S’s will be able to have true FSD. I’m skeptical that even the newest ones will have the ability since the cameras that will be replacing the newest ones, which are also different and better than the older models, and not replaced when they do the upgrade. I think Tesla is trying to keep the prices on these used models high cuz Elon already tweeted they would but knows that they will not without completely changing the wiring harness and cameras.

Whoever bought this car will not get FUSC like mentioned in the original post. Yes, they are rare but in a bad way since FSD is a requirement for almost all Tesla potential owners. I however don’t think any of these earlier Model S’s will be able to have true FSD. I’m skeptical that even the newest ones will have the ability since the cameras that will be replacing the newest ones, which are also different and better than the older models, and not replaced when they do the upgrade. I think Tesla is trying to keep the prices on these used models high cuz Elon already tweeted they would but knows that they will not without completely changing the wiring harness and cameras.

i know many people who have 0 interest in FSD, so no, it's not a requirement for potential owners

Reactions: TespaceX
Can SC01 be transferred if can is purchased via vroom, shift etc

• SC01: The car has unlimited free supercharging enabled and this is transferable to the next owner via a private sale. This can only occur on cars registered before April 2017 but not all cars will have it.
In theory yes, in reality, who knows?? This is my biggest complaint about this situation, we are uncertain about what will happen, and it may happen months later.

During your purchase the car was assigned "SC05 Free Supercharging". SC01 is the transferrable version so it isn't surprising that it didn't transfer.

You can look up your codes by checking https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/index.php# and doing "option code lookup" for your VIN.
Which explains the codes.

Sucks that it happened...

Oh I see you were on that thread where we recently discussed that. Anyway glad you are making it as right as you can by the buyer. Kudo's to you!

The link to the supercharging info isn't entirely correct. In theory the dates are correct but in practice they are not. The lookup info is otherwise correct, as is ev-cpo.com. I'm speaking as an owner of a July registered 2017 with transferable unlimited supercharging. Confirmed via build sheet, details links, option codes, and ev-cpo.

So for any prospective buyer, don't let the date alone deter you, always do the checks...assuming Tesla doesn't still change it on you.

The link to the supercharging info isn't entirely correct. In theory the dates are correct but in practice they are not. The lookup info is otherwise correct, as is ev-cpo.com. I'm speaking as an owner of a July registered 2017 with transferable unlimited supercharging. Confirmed via build sheet, details links, option codes, and ev-cpo.

So for any prospective buyer, don't let the date alone deter you, always do the checks...assuming Tesla doesn't still change it on you.
Correct. It was based on order date, not build or delivery date. As is the case now, you could order a car and defer delivery to some point into the future and often retain the features and perks you locked in at time of order. At one point they even offered to let you roll your free super charging off of an earlier car to a new car. That was a limited time offer in 2018 (as I recall) but I don't know if those cars got SC01 or not. In theory they did, but who knows.

Do your homework, and buy private party to give yourself the best chance.

ev-cpo data
Correct. It was based on order date, not build or delivery date. As is the case now, you could order a car and defer delivery to some point into the future and often retain the features and perks you locked in at time of order. At one point they even offered to let you roll your free super charging off of an earlier car to a new car. That was a limited time offer in 2018 (as I recall) but I don't know if those cars got SC01 or not. In theory they did, but who knows.

Do your homework, and buy private party to give yourself the best chance.

it's unfortunate that this is all theory and the best we can hope for is chance based. i just picked up a 16.5 that was built and delivered well before APR 17, one owner, never touched tesla. MCU shows "no recent supercharging session". and yet, I still have no idea what I'm getting

ev-cpo data

it's unfortunate that this is all theory and the best we can hope for is chance based. i just picked up a 16.5 that was built and delivered well before APR 17, one owner, never touched tesla. MCU shows "no recent supercharging session". and yet, I still have no idea what I'm getting
Couldn't agree more. I ranted about this on a recent thread in here. I like Tesla, and I like what they have made happen, but there is a degree of chaos that you don't get with the older companies. This chaos doesn't help Tesla grow, and gets them sued more often than they should be. I have a hard time pointing to the chaos and saying "it makes them better" because it doesn't seem to. The chaos exists, and I am sure there must be some positives to it, but it is hard to see those positives from the outside.

Couldn't agree more. I ranted about this on a recent thread in here. I like Tesla, and I like what they have made happen, but there is a degree of chaos that you don't get with the older companies. This chaos doesn't help Tesla grow, and gets them sued more often than they should be. I have a hard time pointing to the chaos and saying "it makes them better" because it doesn't seem to. The chaos exists, and I am sure there must be some positives to it, but it is hard to see those positives from the outside.
i think most of us like tesla, that's why we're here and own cars (or want to). chaos is okay, since imo, it means change is happening. but come on, you gotta take care of those who helped you along the way

ev-cpo data

You will get FUSC. It’s when a dealer or Tesla took the car that it will no longer transfer. Someone mentioned it depends when the buyer bought from Tesla. That is/was correct. It was able to transfer almost 3 yrs ago. However, I have heard of Tesla taking it away even than. It’s unfortunately the buyer who has to find out the hard way. But if you purchase one directly from a private seller and it has never touched Tesla or another dealer it is grandfathered in for the dates you mention. You are 100% fine I can guarantee you that.

Reactions: TespaceX
You will get FUSC. It’s when a dealer or Tesla took the car that it will no longer transfer. Someone mentioned it depends when the buyer bought from Tesla. That is/was correct. It was able to transfer almost 3 yrs ago. However, I have heard of Tesla taking it away even than. It’s unfortunately the buyer who has to find out the hard way. But if you purchase one directly from a private seller and it has never touched Tesla or another dealer it is grandfathered in for the dates you mention. You are 100% fine I can guarantee you that.
the "3rd party dealer" part is what tickles me. tesla should not be able to do anything in that particular situation (given all other requirements are met).

what makes it even more confusing is you hear anecdotal accounts from people who have bought from 3rd parties and have been fine

Reactions: JimmyB and bkp_duke
the "3rd party dealer" part is what tickles me. tesla should not be able to do anything in that particular situation (given all other requirements are met).

what makes it even more confusing is you hear anecdotal accounts from people who have bought from 3rd parties and have been fine
That only happens if they never register an account with Tesla. Just like when dealers buy them at auction they will keep their FUSC until the new owner put it into a Tesla account. If he doesn’t Tesla assumes the dealership still has the car. Once you need it serviced it’s taken away

Assuming the window sticker above is for this car...this is an AP1 car. You can see where it says "autopilot with convenience" which indicates AP1. So this car would NOT be eligible to upgrade to HW2/2.5/3.0. You can, however, upgrade to MCU2.
That is a common mistake to think that "autopilot with convenience" automatically means AP1. Early AP2 cars if they were ordered before AP2 was released but built after AP2 release received AP2 hardware but were charged the AP1 price and the sticker reflected "autopilot with convenience"

No. Just no. Cuz, no.

Reactions: DSolie
I'm selling my 2016 P100D white exterior + black interior, 21" Arachnid wheels, 33k miles. It's fully loaded, free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car. I purchased with 20k miles from Tesla in October 2019. The regular warranty ends October 2023 or 70k miles and the 8 year battery warranty ends October 2024. The car has the premium interior, panoramic roof which opens, smart air suspension, high amperage 72amp charger upgrade, ultra high fidelity sound, I'm selling for $59k firm. Does not have FSD.. I live on Long Island, adult driven, always garaged, mostly highway miles, rarely used supercharger, charged at home with a level 2, I charged to 100% 1 time, never taken to a track/never raced, very healthy battery with 299 miles of range. Car drives perfect.. slight road rash on 2 wheels (barely noticeable) from parking, the tires 70% left.
When I purchased, it made sense to buy CPO from Tesla but now it's just the opposite because Tesla changed the warranty structure on used Tesla's (no more 4yr/50k) and free supercharging is no longer offered by Tesla.