Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100DL or new model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for my wife. Let me know thoughts on best choice. Here is the S. Her previous was a S class Benz.

If you’re looking for A wife, then the S. If you’re looking for a boyfriend then the 3.

If you’re looking for YOUR wife then let her evaluate. It’s purely emotional.

Reactions: Cheburashka
If you’re looking for A wife, then the S. If you’re looking for a boyfriend then the 3.

If you’re looking for YOUR wife then let her evaluate. It’s purely emotional.

What if it's for the wife's boyfriend though?

I certainly wouldn't buy a "Performance" S for my wife as she never really floors it so that functionality is kind of sunk. I'd rather spend that coin on a nicer, newer S with AP3.

I know the used market is pretty crazy at the moment, but $70k for a 2016 AP1 vintage car seems a little bit pricey. I know owner says excellent condition, but have you every seen anyone list a used car for sale that didn't make that claim??

One thing I would clarify is whether the car has been upgraded to MCU2. I did not see that mentioned. Based upon the software rev level shown in the listing, I would hypothesize it has not and is still MCU1. IF i were to consider paying $70k, then I'd be asking the owner to first upgrade to MCU2, or offset the price by the $2k that it will cost you to upgrade to MCU2 with the added new radio tuner.

Just my two cents as someone that owns a very similar vintage mid-2016 MS90D with a VIN just 15,000 lower than this one.

Reactions: brico84
I know the used market is pretty crazy at the moment, but $70k for a 2016 AP1 vintage car seems a little bit pricey. I know owner says excellent condition, but have you every seen anyone list a used car for sale that didn't make that claim??

One thing I would clarify is whether the car has been upgraded to MCU2. I did not see that mentioned. Based upon the software rev level shown in the listing, I would hypothesize it has not and is still MCU1. IF i were to consider paying $70k, then I'd be asking the owner to first upgrade to MCU2, or offset the price by the $2k that it will cost you to upgrade to MCU2 with the added new radio tuner.

Just my two cents as someone that owns a very similar vintage mid-2016 MS90D with a VIN just 15,000 lower than this one.
Thx 4 the info
Mcu1 is in car currently. I made an offer of 66K and figured I would do the MCU2 myself with Tesla once I get it. I can’t believe the price on used cars but it is what it is. These were only bringing 67-70K 2 years ago.

I would not touch a used Tesla unless you want to drive locally. See my thread about “old” Tesla models and being told it’s my fault for installing updates and getting the recall done (after the eMMC recall my car randomly takes 10+ minutes before I can go into drive - was told it’s just an inconvenience and my fault for deciding to do the recall and firmware updates). Only a matter of time this trickles down to “newer” cars. Anything except the latest hardware is considered obsolete by Tesla. Putting even that aside, my 2015 p85dl is useless for long trips (every 90 minutes of driving requires an hour of supercharging -at best I get 40-45kwh charging and never get more than 60% rated range regardless of weather) complained about that over 4 years and was been told even then (3 years old) it’s because it’s old. Tesla is about volume and I’ve concluded they don’t care about the customer experience.

So. If you really want an older Tesla drive it to check the range and supercharge it to make sure it’s acceptable and be careful installing updates.

I was once a Tesla fan boy and even happily paid to add ludicrous to my p85. If I ever get another Tesla I would only lease or plan to keep it 3-4 years.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I would not touch a used Tesla unless you want to drive locally. See my thread about “old” Tesla models and being told it’s my fault for installing updates and getting the recall done (after the eMMC recall my car randomly takes 10+ minutes before I can go into drive - was told it’s just an inconvenience and my fault for deciding to do the recall and firmware updates). Only a matter of time this trickles down to “newer” cars. Anything except the latest hardware is considered obsolete by Tesla. Putting even that aside, my 2015 p85dl is useless for long trips (every 90 minutes of driving requires an hour of supercharging -at best I get 40-45kwh charging and never get more than 60% rated range regardless of weather) complained about that over 4 years and was been told even then (3 years old) it’s because it’s old. Tesla is about volume and I’ve concluded they don’t care about the customer experience.

So. If you really want an older Tesla drive it to check the range and supercharge it to make sure it’s acceptable and be careful installing updates.

I was once a Tesla fan boy and even happily paid to add ludicrous to my p85. If I ever get another Tesla I would only lease or plan to keep it 3-4 years.

The owner told me still gets 90% of range charge since it was new. 99% of the driving will be less than 50 miles daily and I have a charger in my garage already from previous ownership.

my 2015 p85dl is useless for long trips (every 90 minutes of driving requires an hour of supercharging -at best I get 40-45kwh charging

@EXOTIC1 - regarding the comment above from siteexperts, the comments he's made about greatly reduced charging rates appear to be much more an issue with 85 packs.

My mid-2016 MS90D is likely same vintage pack as the car you are working on buying. Mine is vin 145xxx, built mid-June 2016.

I have not experienced any reduction in charging speed, and in fact, with changes Tesla has made over the years, my peak charging rates are actually greater, upwards of 145kW in best conditions versus absolute max of 120kW when my car was brand new. The taper curve is a bit different, but when my car is fully warm, I actually tend to see a slight reduction in total time to supercharge from say 25% to 75% or 80% as typical for me when doing long trips. This can of course vary based upon how much fast charging the pack has had over the years, but for reference, I have 67k total miles, about 45% of which has been long range travel with charging via superchargers.

Good luck on your offer. Used market is insane at the moment. All prices seem crazy to me, but I realize we're in a very strange market at this time.