Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P90D Upgradable to Ludicrous mode still?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if Im posting this in the wrong spot or its been asked, but if it has I couldnt find it exactly.
I recently bought a 2016 P90D with insane+, and Im now regretting not looking for a Ludicrous enabled P90D. Does anyone know if the Ludicrous update is still available through purchase from Tesla, or even some 3rd party EV shop?
Thank you in advance

Sorry if Im posting this in the wrong spot or its been asked, but if it has I couldnt find it exactly.
I recently bought a 2016 P90D with insane+, and Im now regretting not looking for a Ludicrous enabled P90D. Does anyone know if the Ludicrous update is still available through purchase from Tesla, or even some 3rd party EV shop?
Thank you in advance
It is no longer available through Tesla.

Not sure about 3rd parties but I have not heard about anyone advertising it. Check the Electrified Garage. They may be able to help.

Reactions: P85LongBeach
Called them and theyre not entirely sure how it would compare to Ludicrous mode or the insane+ I currently have so.....that pretty much answers that
Not really surprised. The only video I managed to find that was even remotely relevant was on FB and they didn't even supply a pre-install dragy time but the post time was 0-100 kph in 3.39 or something on a P90D. To me that might be a slight improvement over stock but not ludicrous speeds for sure.

Here's one with before and after times:
"...Back to back street testing produced a 10% faster 0-100kmh/hr verified time using Dragy GPS logging, dropping from 3.83s to 3.39 seconds, road with a 1.71% slope, the 0-100 was also completed in just 52.70 Metres! Acceleration runs are now much more consistent, while regeneration is improved by up to 30%. In addition, owner can now remotely pre-warm the battery."

Thank you in advance
Did you find a vendor that can perform an aftermarket upgrade on your P90D to something equivalent to Ludicrious mode? If so then I'm interested in your feedback. Thank you.

Called them and theyre not entirely sure how it would compare to Ludicrous mode or the insane+ I currently have so.....that pretty much answers that
Did you ever have this done? You don’t need to change batteries to a 100kwh to have ludicrous upgrade. @wk057 is the one I would want to do this for me. I think it says $2500 on his page if you have the 90kwh battery. You can just enter your vin and it will tell you the price. I’m going to have this done but am waiting til my extended warranty expires

Did you ever have this done? You don’t need to change batteries to a 100kwh to have ludicrous upgrade. @wk057 is the one I would want to do this for me. I think it says $2500 on his page if you have the 90kwh battery. You can just enter your vin and it will tell you the price. I’m going to have this done but am waiting til my extended warranty expires
Same price quoted on his website for mine too but based on your post, the upgrade will void the existing battery and/or dual motor warranty? If that's the case then I will wait for mine to expire.

Same price quoted on his website for mine too but based on your post, the upgrade will void the existing battery and/or dual motor warranty? If that's the case then I will wait for mine to expire.
I’m nervous to do it because I have bumper to bumper extended warranty until July of 2024. I could definitely see Tesla blaming a problem on a mod and denying a warranty claim but that’s just my opinion.
Per the letter of the warranty, it would void it. Based on experience, Tesla's not denied anyone we've done modifications for. So, 🤷‍♂️
Do you change the contactor to inconel and change the fuse? I’m sure there are a few other things you do software wise too? Just curious thanks

Reactions: siamnet
I’m nervous to do it because I have bumper to bumper extended warranty until July of 2024. I could definitely see Tesla blaming a problem on a mod and denying a warranty claim but that’s just my opinion.
The extended warranty doesn't include the battery or motors, which are the only things technically impacted by the Ludicrous upgrade.
Do you change the contactor to inconel and change the fuse? I’m sure there are a few other things you do software wise too? Just curious thanks
We do the procedure exactly as specified by Tesla themselves, which includes updating the contactors and fuse if not already done for the pack type, among other things.