Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 p90d upgraded range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why did the original
Owner pay $3000 for upgraded range? Dealer I’m buying the car can’t explain it .

You can cap a higher capacity battery to function as a smaller one, but not the other way around. Tesla chose to offer the 90kwh pack as an upgrade, "5kwh for only $3k!" instead of a discount, "save 3k and only lose 5kwh!"

Just like the 3/Y range has a cap on performance that is removed when you pay an extra $8k. Or if you buy an S, the premium is $23k (though I guess you do get a nifty spoiler.) The underlying hardware (battery/motors/inverters) is the same "high performance" spec between the cars, but they are able to change the features in software.

You can cap a higher capacity battery to function as a smaller one, but not the other way around. Tesla chose to offer the 90kwh pack as an upgrade, "5kwh for only $3k!" instead of a discount, "save 3k and only lose 5kwh!"

Just like the 3/Y range has a cap on performance that is removed when you pay an extra $8k. Or if you buy an S, the premium is $23k (though I guess you do get a nifty spoiler.) The underlying hardware (battery/motors/inverters) is the same "high performance" spec between the cars, but they are able to change the features in software.
That’s all well and true, but in this case they were truly different physical battery packs, not any software trickery.

Yeah, this was not a software locking of capacity thing. They were coming out with a new chemistry type of cell, but for a while, during the changeover, they were still making both versions, which were the 85 pack and the 90 pack, and people could pay extra to get the newer version, which had a little more capacity.

My 85D car was on order when this happened. I originally wanted a May, 2016 delivery. They called me and tried to get me to pay the $3k for the 90 and I declined. This caused my car to deliver in March, 2016 because they were discontinuing the 85s. I have one of the last ones that was made.

There was trouble with the early 90s, so be careful.

Man there is a lot of miss information. Here is the gist:

Original 85kwh was not 85Kwh, it was closer 81Kwh. 90Kwh pack was offered later for 90D and p90D cars containing 86Kwh total. Again typical tesla false advertisement. Hence why they dropped the name.

The reason that 90kwh pack was worst than 85Kwh was 90kwh pack uses beta untested extra capacity cells at least for v1-v3 or something like that. Theses cells degrades fast in terms of supercharging speed and energy capacity. Hence why a lot of people were ups in arms about supercharging 90kwh packs. It caused tesla to change their wording on supercharging. Later 90kwh pack had tweaked chemistry to help, but not as good as the 100kwh pack.

However all this was before they neutered the 85kwh pack. Before the 85kwh pack was doing very well in terms of supercharging speed. It was faster than thr degraded 90kwh. However after the fire in China on an old 85Kwh pack during supercharging, tesla issued a software fix which was significantly neutering the charging speed of the 85kwh pack. Hence now the 85Kwh is the worst of the bunch. I think NHSTA is still investigating the tesla software fix for this issue.

Now obviously the right way of addressing these issues is to replace the packs with 100kwh pack but obviously that is too expensive for tesla and elon's ego. It might cause them to lose money for a quarter... Moreover for some older tesla is it not possible due to the type of suspension the cars have, but I dont want to get into the details.

Reactions: ElectricIAC