TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2016 Prius Plug-In

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by SageBrush, Mar 23, 2016.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yes, yes... I know. Hardly an EV ;-)

But it is news in the evolving electrification of personal transport, and I'm going to keep on eye on it as a possible competitor to a T3 for myself because it has the virtue of possibly integrating into an off-grid electric lifestyle I am very interested in.

Details known thus far, as of March 23rd:
    8.8 kWh battery
    22 EV miles
    120 MPG(e), = 278 Wh/mile on electric -- I presume according to the EPA protocol
    ICE MPG: "no worse than the non-plug-in"
    Price ??

2. SureValla

SureValla Member

I thought Toyota was out of the ev business?

3. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

There is already an insane amount of discussion over on the PriusChat website here:
    Gen 2 Prius Plug-in 2017

Most of the discussion there is of the dismal EV range, only 4 seats, lots of Model 3 chatter too. I suppose the interesting thing going forward will be to see what the normal Prius and Plugin Prius (Prius Prime) sales numbers are from month to month. Our buddies at insideevs will provide the plugin numbers, while the goodcarbadcar website can provide the normal Prius numbers. Last time I checked Prius sales were down I believe 9% year over year. If the general public reaction is anything like the reaction over at Priuschat, we may have an almost Mirai-like debacle on our hands.

Toyota = Corporate Seppuku

RT

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In my opinion, the PiP is really meant to address some of the shortcomings of the standard Prius rather than be an I3 work-alike. The standard Prius falls a bit short from:

1. Running the gas engine after one minute whether it needs to or not (e.g. driveway shuffle).
    2. In stop and go traffic, the battery gets down to where the engine runs very quickly--especially with the A/C on.
    3. On short steep hills the gas engine kicks in.
    4. Short trips to the store, etc.

The way to get the lowest gas usage is to only use the battery in the PiP for those situations until the end of the driving day, then use the rest of the charge to get home (if any). Don't try to be an i3 where you use the battery until it's gone and then use the gas engine.

Unfortunately, most people will do it backwards and get disappointing results.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

That was the FUD spread by the folks angered by Toyota's Fuel Cell car advertising.
    What Toyota actually said was that they envision their hybrid synergy drive evolving to serve plug-in and fuel cell markets. Since fuel cells are still a long ways off (even in Toyota's most optimistic dreams,) plug-ins are part of their portfolio for the foreseeable future.