Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 S60 vs 2014 S85 with Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed an order for a new S60 and just saw a late 2014 S85 with Autopilot going for $60,000 on Tesla's CPO site. Couple of questions:

1. Have there been any significant improvements in the last 1.5 years that would be worth more than the larger battery?

2. Which car would you expect to have higher depreciation over the next 4-5 years?

Thanks!

Generally, a new car will depreciate more (relative to the price you purchased it for) than a 2-year old car.

Obviously the 60 will be a refreshed car with LED headlights and all the things that came out on the refresh. For other things it depends on how you optioned the 60.

The '14 car will have a larger frunk. $60k sounds like a good price, and it has autopilot just like the new car.

The new 60 will have Next gen seats, 4G LTE, new center console, new headlights and nose, HEPA filter, 48 A charging, and thousands of small improvements.

Good luck with your decision.

GSP

90% of the time I'd go with the 2 year old car, but IMO 3 things skew the current equation in favor of new:

1) Tax rebate
2) Model S reliability has improved dramatically over the years
3) Battery degradation (A two year old P85 with 5% loss = new S75)

Reactions: BigAirHarper
Placed an order for a new S60 and just saw a late 2014 S85 with Autopilot going for $60,000 on Tesla's CPO site. Couple of questions:

1. Have there been any significant improvements in the last 1.5 years that would be worth more than the larger battery?

2. Which car would you expect to have higher depreciation over the next 4-5 years?

Thanks!

I faced this same decision as I debated on whether to place an order for a new S60 last month. What is the mileage on the CPO?

For a frame of reference, I did just get a S60 with my listed options and the referral discount. My total price came to $73,700. I pay sales tax of 9.5%, but get back the 7,500 federal tax credit and the $2,500 CA rebate (on waitlist currently). That means my final price is $71K. For me, that means that CPO Tesla would be $66K after taxes. The savings of $5K isn't worth it for me.

The new S60 is really a software-limited S75, which means you will never have real battery degradation with only using 80% of the battery capacity. You can freely charge it to 100%. The charging recommendation for the real 75, 85, and 90 kwh batteries is only 90%. That means on a daily basis using the EPA average range, it's 210 vs. 239 (.90*265). That's a difference of only 29 miles. I don't think I'll ever need that 29 miles even for road trips, as the superchargers are spaced out at 150 miles here in CA/the West Coast anyway.

In terms of features and options, I believe the next gen seats in my S60 weren't even an option back in 2014. The tech package is now standard with 4G LTE vs. 3G standard in the CPO (can upgrade for a fee). The frunk is bigger in the CPO. The refreshed front fascia, painted rocker panels, and new wheels make it look more attractive to me. The new one will be more reliable than the CPO. Charging at 48 amps (Level 2/240V) is a little faster than the older 40 amps, but not significant. The HEPA filter still isn't standard, but is available as part of the premium interior package. The new models have the integrated central storage console standard as well, which is a $1,250 option on the Tesla store's website. Lastly, I really liked the black alcantara headliner with my grey next gen seats and blue exterior, which is a free option, but before it was a paid option as part of the premium interior package.

There are rumors that the new models being built now have the new hardware and cameras for Autopilot 2.0, but that hasn't been confirmed and wouldn't exist on the '14 CPO either.