Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 s75 out of warranty costs - be warned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you’re jonesing for a reason to move on. Enjoy. I’m sure that BMW won’t have any expensive out of warranty repairs.

My Dec 2016 S75 has cost me exactly $0 in out of warranty repairs at 105k miles. But I’m not gonna be exactly shocked or anything when my MCU number comes up, a door handle stops working, or something else.

Things break as they get older. It’s expected. Normal even. If you can’t handle that, you need to move on and buy a new car that will save you the horror of having to fix something.

At this point I will take BMW lies over Tesla lies, and BMW is a CAR company so yes they will build higher quality cars than tesla.

I neglected to mention that my car was delivered with a MASSIVE trunk leak that required replacement of the entire rear carpet and insulation, Oh and then there was the replacement of the motor AND Axles at 43 K. My 2002tii M3, and 330i all were going strong at 250K plus, (and sadly I thought that switching to Tesla electric would SAVE maintinance $$$)

Great. My sister had a new 3 series. Within one year the transmission, the air-condition, the differential and the computer on board died. This caused two tows from the middle of nowhere with loss of business for her. Under warranty, but still she had lost so much time an the car was in the garage more than a month in the first year. All extra costs aside from the loss of time like park permits for the rental car, highway toll stickers for the rental and so on where also there.

She switched to Benz and soon Model 3 and never ever will buy a beamer again.

Standard repairs have a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty so you weren't charged for that, right?

Take the $1800 MCU replacement which has a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.
interesting that they put charges in the estimate for both an air bag(??) and the steering wheel controls. I had to point out the failure after one month and THEN they removed that

Sounds like you’re jonesing for a reason to move on. Enjoy. I’m sure that BMW won’t have any expensive out of warranty repairs.

My Dec 2016 S75 has cost me exactly $0 in out of warranty repairs at 105k miles. But I’m not gonna be exactly shocked or anything when my MCU number comes up, a door handle stops working, or something else.

Things break as they get older. It’s expected. Normal even. If you can’t handle that, you need to move on and buy a new car that will save you the horror of having to fix something.

yeah, jonesing to the tune of 4400 in repairs.....why should a simple crap slow computer fail in 4 years? cant anyone at tesla do the math on write cycles/ oh yeah they DID the math and figured it would fail after the warranty expires so the customer is stuck with the bill

yeah, jonesing to the tune of 4400 in repairs.....
Like I said, make the jump. It seems owning out of warranty cars isn't for you. I'm sure that still-vaporware BMW won't have any $4,000 repairs out of warranty. BMW has a great reputation for reliability and value outside warranty.

I'm still not clear how you're managing to pay $4400 for a MCU replacement when everyone else is paying less than half that.

more like broke even, ESA cost $2000 MCU replacement $2000

In just the five months since the ESA kicked in, it’s also paid for both front drive shafts and a front drive unit (maybe that’s still under the drive unit warranty, but they didn’t try the “.drive unit seals aren’t covered” BS on me).

Bought the car planning to keep it for a long time. So not sure if this is a win or lose. Would have much preferred to get to eight years with no need for it..,

Reactions: Altes
Spotted a super high quality BMW smoking up the neighborhood like Spy Hunter today. Wonder how much that repair will cost...

Attachments

• 4FA7B04A-9A0E-4C26-9C49-C007E0875AC4.jpeg
    4FA7B04A-9A0E-4C26-9C49-C007E0875AC4.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 86
  • C1AECD99-A651-4420-B56B-E742FC230C5E.jpeg
    C1AECD99-A651-4420-B56B-E742FC230C5E.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 56
Great. My sister had a new 3 series. Within one year the transmission, the air-condition, the differential and the computer on board died. This caused two tows from the middle of nowhere with loss of business for her. Under warranty, but still she had lost so much time an the car was in the garage more than a month in the first year. All extra costs aside from the loss of time like park permits for the rental car, highway toll stickers for the rental and so on where also there.

She switched to Benz and soon Model 3 and never ever will buy a beamer again.
sigh... beamers are bikes, bimmers are cars....

Reactions: Eclectic
Got the car back today, $2200 as they covered the previously broken warranty parts, They damaged the steering wheel replacing the steering wheel controls so they replaced that as well (no charge) didnt even get asked about the MCU upgrade.... assuming I got the crap MCU1 as everything is slow and sucky. invoice says re-manufactured MCU so didnt even get a NEW MCU for my $2200. Oh, and was without the car for over a week when they promised 2 days.

Never felt more ripped off about a car repair than this.....

Sorry to hear about your issues. Certainly the steering should be covered from the failed prior repairs?

I am surprised that we have not seen a class action lawsuit for the MCU1 yet. Seems every day we have a few posts about people hitting the wall. Tesla has to be doing the math on this and knowing there is a tsunami of cars with this problem coming.

Tesla did the math already, for all the unaware out there part of teslas plan was to have the largest database of driver data of anyone (car company or not) so they planned on logging as much as possible and back calculated EMMC write limits to JUUUUST get them out of paying for another MCU on their dime...Brilliant

Reactions: InternetDude
I’m sure that’s what it is. You’ve uncovered their diabolical master plan! I’d say their approach is much the opposite of most companies where engineered obsolescence is the norm. Offer new features in new products and new products only to force you to upgrade at maximum cost. I’m quite happy with Tesla’s efforts to push new features to older cars to the extent that the hardware allows.

Last edited:
I am outside of my warranty on a 2014 P85. I have 103,000 miles on it, and I have had zero uncovered repairs so far(knock-on-wood).
I put about 1/2 of a car payment in the bank each month so that when a repair does come up, it isn't a financial strain. If I decide to sell the car, it will make a significant increase in my down payment for a new Tesla.

Altes. Sounds like your are Jonesing for the new I4. Sounds like it will be a good car.

Perhaps you are using the fear of out of warranty repair costs to justify buying a new car. No problem, we all do it :) YEP!

One nice thing about Tesla aftermarket repairs is now there are lots of independent dismantlers that will sell you pre owned parts for cheap. Can use this to keep your after warranty repairs more reasonable.
The problem is that tesla is SUPER secretive about repair, no service manuals, lots of proprietary equipment. granted this is part of the new tech but out of warranty they should do a bit more and the knowledge of the service techs is poor at best. NEver have I had to sign a warranty waiver to get a car repaired out of warranty usually they work with you not against you

No worries here. BMW/Mercedes/Audi owners tend to sell their cars also when the warrany runs out. Keeps the economy going.

Standard repairs have a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty so you weren't charged for that, right?

Take the $1800 MCU replacement which has a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Pretty sure repair parts are only 12mo or the original warranty period whichever comes first. Once you modify your car IN ANY WAY you are in an adversarial relationship with tesla

I dunno - YMMV here too. My MS85 has been out of warranty since I purchased it used. It’s been to the service center twice, both times I got an MS75D loaner free of charge. These are The growing pains of a relatively new company with proprietary tech. They aren’t going to give you the keys to the kingdom any more than any other manufacturer will. The aftermarket is catching up, and there are a few shops out there including some supporting vendors here that can and do work on these cars to include the software side. You’re going to have the same amount of difficulty finding an independent shop to diagnose and repair any EV, I don’t care who built it.

I've bought my S's and X's out of warranty and only Battery and Motor left. My S over a year of ownership has been back to service center a few times. 1 Contactors replaced with battery warranty, even drove home 2000 miles with the warning. 1 Motor replaced, leaking fluid internally, 3rd or 4th motor on the car, PO got ones before. 1 time for windshield and sunroof, rock cracks (insurance, so figure that was easiest.)

They wont give you the keys to the kingdom, but you can take them. For personally repairing, this is probably the easiest car I owned to work on.

Reactions: ‘Merica
In just the five months since the ESA kicked in, it’s also paid for both front drive shafts and a front drive unit (maybe that’s still under the drive unit warranty, but they didn’t try the “.drive unit seals aren’t covered” BS on me).

Bought the car planning to keep it for a long time. So not sure if this is a win or lose. Would have much preferred to get to eight years with no need for it..,

car was dead today. Back to the service center. I’ve certainly had high maintenance cars before, but always knew I had choices of fix it myself, Indy shops and dealer.

Pretty sure repair parts are only 12mo or the original warranty period whichever comes first. Once you modify your car IN ANY WAY you are in an adversarial relationship with tesla

It's whichever is longest. Replacing a part has at least a 12 month warranty. If your factory warranty is still more than 12 months out, it's that. If the factory warranty expires 1K miles when you have the part replaced, you get 12 months. Most manufacturers are 12 months / 12K miles but Tesla, at least currently, is 12 months unlimited miles on replaced parts.