Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 S90D: 36-39 Month Buyback Window Approaching

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From April 2 - July 2 I will be within the 36-39 month window for the buyback guarantee. At 50% of base + 43% of options that will be $48,652. The car has 38,600 miles now, isn't driven that much in in the first quarter but is a lot second quarter. So in June I expect to be close to the 45,000 mile limit before the buyback decreases for excess mileage.

Here are the considerations:
1) There seems to be conventional wisdom that the 90 batteries degrade faster. I've had 6.8% degradation in those 33 months/38.600 miles. That seems reasonable. Is there hard data that battery degradation continues in the 90's vs. leveling off like other Tesla batteries? I'm guessing that this conventional wisdom can't be good for resale value of 90's though.
2) Our car is pre-facelift, doesn't bother me but I'm guessing that's hit to resale value too.
3) In view of 1&2 above I suspect the private party or CPO value of my car may not be much if any more than the buyback guarantee during 2Q 2019.
4) We love the car and would replace with another Tesla. We plan to test drive a P3D, but we like the Model S hatchback versatility for skiing and we prefer the screen plus dashboard of the S to the 3's pedestal screen.
5) In terms of desired tech improvements, #1 priority would be v3 faster supercharging, which would require the 2170 battery and probably would include increased range also.
6) During the time we have owned our car I'm very pleased that our Autopilot 1 has worked better than AP2 which cost those buyers twice as much. But going forward AP2 will eventually get better, and once it progresses to true Level 3 hands off long distance freeway travel that's a feature we would value.

If we stick with our 2016 Model S it would probably be close to the remaining 5 years of drivetrain/battery warranty period. If the fast charging and Level 3 Autopilot are in widespread use within 2-3 years, I suspect resale on our car with ~75,000 miles would be terrible.

So what do people think?
Is an AP1 90D good enough for another 5 years?
If the new S with 2170 battery is announced by June, is that a clear signal to trade-in/upgrade?
Is it worth trading in anyway and wait another quarter or two for the S 2170 if not introduced by the time our buyback expires?
Or is it better to trade in for the P3D?

Found myself in a similar situation with my 2015 S 85. Tesla actually reached out to me to see if I wanted to exercise my buyback. They told me what the buyback amount would be and very clearly advised me to sell privately to get more. I tried listing the car and got some interest but answering questions from potential buyers got old fast. Ended up selling via vroom.com. Super easy and got about 90% of what I was asking (and definitely more than what Tesla offered me).

Though I had a reservation for a 3, I bought a new MS 100D for the size. Love it.

They told me what the buyback amount would be and very clearly advised me to sell privately to get more. I tried listing the car and got some interest but answering questions from potential buyers got old fast. Ended up selling via vroom.com. Super easy and got about 90% of what I was asking (and definitely more than what Tesla offered me).
Current CPO prices are averaging maybe 10% over my buyback value right now. That 10% difference will decrease over the next 6 months, and I could easily see the buyback being greater than market value if a there is some kind of Model S upgrade announcement by then.

I think it's an easy call now to exercise the buyback. The rated range upgrade to 370 plus faster charging is enough of an improvement for me to get a new Model S this summer.

There's also been a recent unexplained reduction in supercharging speed. Our Tesla travel is highly concentrated in the second quarter. Through last year my max charge rate was 105Kw. Now it's 93kW. This is not due to supercharger variability, as the car has been supercharged from a <30% SoC 8x this month at 5 different chargers and it's consistently at 93Kw.

Last edited: