Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 SC for NA page was updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's on the "2016" tab on the Supercharger map.

Go to: Supercharger | Tesla Motors Scroll down to the map and click on "2016"

2016-northamerica.jpg

Here's a direct image: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/images/supercharger/maps/2016-northamerica.jpg

Also, supercharger.only displays Superchargers when there is specific evidence of one -- like town planning and zoning applications or actual construction. It does not list superchargers that are on Tesla's "coming soon" map.

Perennial disappointment. From a safety perspective in particular, the completion of the I-10 corridor from Tucson to San Antonio has been of key importance and, inexplicably and unjustifiably, almost completely ignored.

That 1800-mile stretch has impact not just for AZ and NM, as might well be the myopic thinking of whoever's managing the Southwest Region buildout, but for EVERY DRIVER who wants to get from the eastern US to the western US during Fall, Winter, and Spring. Today there remains NO 12-month route that doesn't require carrying chains.

If you're in Florida and want to get to SoCal, you are forced to hang a hard right at/near Baton Rouge to get routed through TORNADO country and east then into the BLACK ICE of the high desert before dropping down from 7000 feet. And that's if you don't run out of battery between TX and NM even with a 100% charge due to a magic combo of elevation, temperature and higher speed limits.

They built I-10 for a reason, folks. It was forecast for completion back in 2014 for 2015, and there was exactly ZERO progress in 2015 and now in 2016 which is almost half over. Talk about misrepresentation.

There are 2 sited SCs west of San Antonio now. That leaves them at least 6 short in such places as Tucson/Benson, Deming, El Paso and Van Horn. *Maybe* we get those in 2017. Maybe.

Meanwhile, there's no way short of RV parks or the kindness of strangers to even get west of Tucson along I-10 at this time.

Pretty sad stuff. My buying decision was based in part upon what was promised/forecast in 2014. If they hadn't forecast it in 2014, 2015, and 2016 and made exactly ZERO profess thereto, that would be different, now wouldn't it. My selling decision will be based in part upon results or, in this case, the lack thereof.

Happily, this will get resolved by 2018 either by Tesla or by the expansion of Chademos, or just by cars having better range. Wishful thinking that there will be a Chademo in Van Horn, but stranger things have happened.

And in fairness, even a 300-mile range won't close the 1800-mile wasteland from AZ to TX anytime soon. Tesla needs to meet their commitments, replace management as necessary if there's resistance or excuses in place or results, and site those last 6 SCs.

After all, it's not like they're trying to land a rocket on w barge. Just trying to keep people out of tornados, black ice, and challenging range scenarios while at the same time meeting published commitments.

No, it's not rocket science.

Perennial disappointment. From a safety perspective in particular, the completion of the I-10 corridor from Tucson to San Antonio has been of key importance and, inexplicably and unjustifiably, almost completely ignored.

I-10 has its own problems, the most recent of which being that it (and all other roads crossing the Sabine River south of the Toledo Bend Reservoir) was closed for several days in March, causing TX-DOT to advise motorists already in Houston to drive up to Dallas on I-45, cross to Shreveport on I-20 and down to Baton Rouge on I-49. It left Tesla owners with a risky drive on a road along the coast requiring destination charging in Beaumont to make it possible. Of course, there are the regular closures during hurricane season as well.

On top of that, I-10 is sparsely travelled between El Paso and San Antonio with fewer than 5000 vehicles a day. That's a large investment when roads with many times more traffic don't have Supercharging yet (like I-20, I-30, I-40 & I-44).

Otherwise, I get that people in Southern Arizona are most impacted by not having I-10 completed, but for the rest of us:

Key West to Santa Monica by the optimal route (I-10) is 2,905 miles. The route using existing Superchargers is 3,157 miles. Compare that to Dallas to Atlanta, which is five times more traveled: 781 miles on I-20, but 1,035 miles using existing Superchargers. It seems to me that many more owners would benefit from completing that section of I-20, so I continue to advocate prioritizing heavily traveled city pairs with Superchargers before filling in additional coast-to-coast routes.

Once those are done, I look forward to seeing I-10 completed for the redundancy you recognize is desirable and so I cam make my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Marfa.

Reactions: RiverBrick
The Columbus, TX Supercharger is under two feet of water (and rising). It shows as operational on the nav system, but you can't get the car to the location.

Here is a photo that was posted by another user to the Houston Tesla Club group on Facebook showing the flooding at the Columbus, TX supercharger... This is the same location that is used as the featured background image at the top of Supercharger | Tesla Motors Fortunately, it looks like they planned for the possibility of flooding because the main support equipment was built on elevated structures.

12998163_10107495770757190_6362837029352350594_o.jpg

Hopefully the residents of the greater Houston area and nearby get the help they need.

That said, this merely amplifies the need to fill the gap. If I-10 is closed out (due to, for example, Spring flooding) we can use I-40. However, as it stands today, if I-40 is closed out, the southern route (I-10) is simply not a viable option at all. 100-year and 500-year flooding aside.

Once in awhile natural disasters aside, they built I-10 for a reason - and it remains today the most heavily-traveled east-west route in the winter months. The sooner those 8 SCs go in between Tucson and San Antonio, the better.

As it stands today, it's anybody's guess as to whether British Columbia to Alaska gets done before Tucson to San Antonio. Farfetched? Not really - today on the other end of the continent, note there's an SC permit-ed for Magoc. Magoc! Let me type that again. Magoc!?!?!?!? Google Magoc and ask yerself how seriously they take finishing I-10 in order to provide the first and only transcontinental route that doesn't require chains/AWD year-round. It was snowing along I-40 in May last year. You won't get that in El Paso, even if you have to route through Dallas to avoid the occasional flood.

From a glass half full perspective, all of this will be done in a few years, and somewhere has to be last. It was not apparent, given the multiple forecasts, that last would be a major transcontinental route upon which millions of travelers rely.

That's Magoc. M-a-g-o-c. I can't wait to visit that SC with cigars to share and a lawn chair.

... today on the other end of the continent, note there's an SC permit-ed for Magoc. Magoc! Let me type that again. Magoc!?!?!?!? ....

That's Magoc. M-a-g-o-c. I can't wait to visit that SC with cigars to share and a lawn chair.

Magog is at the intersection of two major highways, both of which probably carry more passenger vehicle traffic than remote parts of I-10. Don't worry, there will be tons of Teslas recharging in Magog.

In Quebec there are only two Supercharger sites, one of which (Montreal) is down to only one working stall again. This is for roughly 1,000 Model S. Not only is this one of the worst ratios world-wide, it's in a place where cold temperatures frequently sap range. Sorry, but your criticism of Magog as a choice isn't warranted.

Reactions: ohmman
Here is a photo that was posted by another user to the Houston Tesla Club group on Facebook showing the flooding at the Columbus, TX supercharger... This is the same location that is used as the featured background image at the top of Supercharger | Tesla Motors Fortunately, it looks like they planned for the possibility of flooding because the main support equipment was built on elevated structures.
I believe that photo on the SuperCharger page is of my car. I believe it was taken early in the day of the ribbon cutting.