TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2016 Super Chargers

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Mknac, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

Tesla's website has a map with superchargers on it. When you hit the 2016 tab it shows new to be built SCs. It is now mid 2016 does anybody know the status of all these new SCs?

I know of one in Laurel, Md that is actually near completion.

• Like x 1
  2. st50maint

st50maint Member

supercharge.info
    Will give you the known superchargers under construction or in the permit stage.

• Informative x 1
  3. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Tesla`s supercharger map is historically optimistic.
    </understatement>

• Like x 1
  4. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Waaaay behind schedule. There's been more focus outside the US.

5. Mknac

Mknac Member

Thx, they don't seem to be moving hard to increase SC infrastructure.

• Dislike x 3
  6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

They've opened about 100 new superchargers so far in the world this year. Thats quite the considerable amount.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

There are quite a few under construction as of right now.

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

To meet Elon's goal from 3/31, extrapolated to the US, they'd need 50 SCs the 2nd half of this year for starters.

Not. happening. They're 0-8 between Tucson and San Antonio alone to close the I-10 gap aka the GSW (Great Supercharger Wasteland).

There's one going into Innsbruck, Austria tho. Which is nifty.

As above, see supercharge.info as the definitive public source for the state of SC deployment.

9. iffatall

iffatall Member

Elon was very careful with his announcement. He never said anything about new supercharger locations. All he said that the number of superchargers will double. So basically the number that is 3000 now will go to 6000 by end of 2017. I am sure a significant portion of this will be expansion of existing locations to add more stalls.

I suspect most new locations will be outside US.

This is disappointing, especially when they claimed to the shareholders that the cost of building superchargers is baked into the price of the cars. That means the rate of new superchargers added should have kept increasing as the rate of sales growth kept increasing.

I know I've said this before :)

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The supercharger map has always been aspirational, not informational.

11. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I believe they are. They just aren't very vocal about it.

12. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Second quarter progress was impressive. See, for example, West Yellowstone, Montana and Seaside, Oregon.

Insofar as global doubling of SC pedestals is concerned, certainly there are several ways to accomplish the goal:

1. Add pedestals to existing SCs.
    2. Add SCs with greater than the average number of pedestals per SC.
    3. Continue to add public SCs (and for that matter, HPWCs - see Palm Springs) to SvCs that at minimum are available/accessible after hours.

Avenue #3 above is great for Tesla's commitment to density as well as distance, as SvCs are usually located in areas of ownership density.

In North America, they're hundreds of SCs away from anything that could be called finished with regard to distance. Again, see the I-10 SC Wasteland - forecast since 2014 and so far, bupkis; it's only the ONLY transcontinental route that keeps you out of the tornados of Oklahoma and the black ice of the high desert, after all. The rest of the national parks along with major border crossings would also be contenders.

Density SCs will continue to be a function of ownership density and that will be interesting to watch as well. They're still not caught up in Orange County (the county with the most Tesla owners in North America), and pay the price by having to have valets at Fountain Valley and periodically SJC. Once they add a couple more SCs (see Buena Park but also places such as Irvine) in the OC *and* an SC or two in North San Diego County, that stretch will see less congestion.