Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Tesla Model S Lease Transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be moving to the Netherlands by mid January 2018 to pursue a new job opportunity and as much as it breaks my heart, bringing my Model S with me does not seem like a viable option.

Unfortunately, I have 19 months remaining in my current lease and given that I am still relatively new to the US and this being my first car lease here, I am not sure on what my options are, but I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me figure these out or advice me on the matter?

- Can I transfer my lease from one country into another one?

1. US --> EU
Since the car configurations are different between these countries, is it possible to transfer the remaining of my lease to the Netherlands and get a pre-owned Model S or something similar?

2. US --> North America
Direct family members have express high interest in taking my Model S off my hands (if worse comes to worse) and I would assume that the specs wouldn't change much between these regions.
Is this even an option? If so, would I have to purchase the car first or can I lease be transferred from country to country?

- Is car lease transfer (subleasing) legal in California? If so, does Tesla allow it?

1. If transferring my lease not an option, do I have to pay the remaining months as soon as I notify Tesla or how does it work?
2. If transferring my lease is an option, does Tesla take care of the lease transfer or do I have to find a third party to do it for me?
3. If transferring my lease is an option, what are the steps to follow? Do I notify Tesla, then find someone to take over my lease or vice-versa?
4. If transferring my lease within the US is my only option, would anyone be interested in taking over my lease? (specs below).

Any advice or guidance would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Model S 60
Obsidian Black Metallic Paint
Panoramic Roof
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Dark Ash Wood Decor
Integrated Center Console
White Alcantara Headliner
Supercharged Enabled
Autopilot Convenience Features

Monthly payment : $614
Remaining months : 19 months
Remaining miles allowed: 25,200 miles

Reactions: morrisdl
You'll want to do a US to US lease transfer. Same specs, no issues.

If someone picks up your lease, you of course don't have to make the remaining paiements.

There are lease transfer fees involved and you can negotiate who is going to pay them, usually the person assuming the lease, but not always.

With the terms you have, I would think someone here may jump at the opportunity. You should also list it on leasetrader.com and similar sites just in case.

Reactions: marcysx9
Everyone, thank you very much for the overwhelming number of responses to take over my lease! It seems like my Tesla has found a potential new owner and is thus is no longer available. If anything changes, I will let you all know!

Last edited: