Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Toyta Prius just got even more uglier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think many people who drive a Prius want others to see it and know they are more environmentally conscious than the next person. The "unique" styling of the Prius was like waving a flag.

Now, they are everywhere. It's even a very common taxi. Making a new, even more unique styling sells a new car to all those people -- gives them a new flag to wave saying they are greener than their neighbor.

*disclaimer-I was in Las Vegas for the reveal on Toyota's dime

This is a good looking car, IMO, and a much more aggressive and stylish design compared to the prior 3 generations while improving aerodynamics, improving FE (est. 55MPG), and a multitude of other improvements. Yes, to each his/her own, but in person this car retains the classic look of a Prius, but with some sharper lines and edges and styling that should be more universally appealing. Maybe being there in person is important.

Now, to avoid total fanboy status, there are issues. The white interior trim is terrible, I don't know what they were thinking there at all. They've eliminated almost all interior storage...there's no more floor under the back hatch, there's no more glove box to speak of (tiny thing big enough for your owner's manual). The dash is nice, but they have persisted with entune instead of moving to the apple or android options that are so much better.

Official press photos: 2016 Toyota Prius Official Press Photos | PriusChat
I'll have my photos up next week.

Well then ...Let's say each person has their own perspective..I don't think Camry's are that ugly ...to me it looks decent....people can disagree with me...No problem

It's not "offensive" or anything. I simply meant that the average Camry buyer is probably less concerned about buying a "stylish" car and are more concerned with utility. I could be wrong and yes, beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

I think many people who drive a Prius want others to see it and know they are more environmentally conscious than the next person. The "unique" styling of the Prius was like waving a flag.

/.../

Making a new, even more unique styling sells a new car to all those people -- gives them a new flag to wave saying they are greener than their neighbor.
Except they aren't greener than the neighbor if said neighbor drives an electric car or any (?) plug-in hybrid.

And are they greener than the neighbor if the neighbor drives a methane propelled 2009-2014 Euro VW Passat Station wagon and if ~60% of the methane comes from recycled organic waste?

Last edited:
The 2016 Prius retains the same basic ugliness of the 2nd Gen Prius then superimposes Mirai ugliness in its details.

Toyota sells ~10M cars per year and many nameplates including Prius are best seller in their class.

Does not mean they are not ugly. Just that Toyota offers a value proposition many find compelling.

Now, they are everywhere. It's even a very common taxi. Making a new, even more unique styling sells a new car to all those people -- gives them a new flag to wave saying they are greener than their neighbor.

Overstated, I think, but marketing people would love to believe it. Prius Gen 2 had good utility s for people wanting efficiency, and was recognisable, so everyone knew about it. Awareness is important to drive demand. Until someone can beat it for mpg rating, it'll cont I nue to be the top seller.

More pics here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2016-toyota-prius-official-photos-and-info#1

In profile, it looks like a tale of two halves. I don't see any correlation between the design language of the front and that of the rear. That said, I admit to actually liking the weird tail lights; very unique and a bit "futuristic".

Hmm... is it just the filth in my head or does that near-horizontal gear shifter look 'inappropriate' somehow?!

Don't care. Would drive a gargoyle it were efficient.

I think this guy agrees, although I'm not sure how efficient it is.

auto_garguille.jpg

Toyota design has gone crazy. 4Runner is also ugly. It looks angry for having been created so ugly. Also poor old Yaris/Echo.. it now has an enormous grill. But I do see a lot of those around, so... guess it doesn't matter to everyone.

2016 4Runner Gallery Colours - Toyota Canada

TOYOTA CANADA: Yaris Hatchback > Gallery

I didn't realize how much ugly was expanding across Toyota's product line. Really is bizarre that such a huge company seems like it's putting in extra effort to make their product less appealing. Guess they will be noticeable when driving down the road, but not in a good way...

gag.gif