TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2016 US luxury car sales comparison

Discussion in 'Model S' started by barcsikb, Mar 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. barcsikb

barcsikb New Member

I have created a spreadsheet about US car sales result in 2016. as I remember this table was originally showed in Tesla 2015 Q4 result.
    http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/US-Luxury-Car-Sales-Tesla.png
    Now I extended it with the numbers of 2016. The numbers are from carsalesbase.com.
    I think what we can see here is pretty good. BMW 7 latest generation just came out in 2016 - that can be the reason for the strong
    result. ussales2016.png

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

I feel like the Model S is more of a BMW 5 series competitor than a 7 series competitor.

3. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I think a lot of Tesla shoppers aren't looking specifically for the S. They are looking for fast and electric. And fun. And beg screen. And something different. I think the S lost a lot of those shoppers to the X. Which is fine. And the S was still "up." I think the X and X will lose a serious chunk of shoppers to the 3, and yet sales of ALL of them will be up by year's end.

Nice table.

4. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Well, in some ways perhaps. But the price puts the 5 Series a whole lot closer to "mainstream" than the S or the X. Perhaps the 3 will be more of a comparison, when it sells 100,000 and more a year soon.

But none of the Tesla's yet have the high end finish that any BMW has. In that regard, they are completely different audiences. Or, at least, they are aimed at different tastes. But the 5 Series is starting to struggle too.

BMW
    5-series

2012 56.798
    2013 56.863
    2014 52.704
    2015 44.162
    2016 32.408

5. dmode

dmode Member

Not surprised. I have owned many BMWs in the past and find 5 series to be extremely boring, both from looks and performance perspective. Looks like the designers mailed it in.

6. phaduman

phaduman Member

are these the Q4 (one quarter) numbers? It can't be that Tesla MS only sold 29K cars in the US, in entire 2016. Right?

7. azred

azred Member

Sounds right to me. Worldwide X and S sales combined were less than 100,000.

8. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Very nice - thank you. I notice two big competitors - 5 series BMW and E class MBZ are missing - do you have the info for them?

9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Sorry I'm an idiot - somebody posted the 5 series data. WOW. That's a dramatic loss. Still - do we have the E class numbers somewhere?

10. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Here are some more details information: Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard
    On the 2016-US table (only plug-in, no ICE), you can find:
    - Tesla S: 28,896
    - Tesla X: 18,223

Note: The number from carsalesbase.com was (see table in the first posting):
    - Tesla S: 29,421

11. barcsikb

barcsikb New Member

Sorry, i just can not esit my post (wtf) maybe because i am new member, but yes this was mentioned in the year end result not in Q4. So those numbers about full year, not about 1 quarter.

12. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

New 5-Series just launched, so no surprise not many people were interested in buying one in 2016.

• Informative x 1
  13. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Looks exactly the same to me. BMW's have looked the same (to me at least) for the past 15 years. The new models look more like mid-cycle refreshes than all-new cars.