Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 vs 2020 Floor Mats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 5 seater is different from the 7 seater, at least in the 2nd row, as the 5 seater has fixed 2nd row while they move in the 7 seater. There have also been changes in the 7 seater over the years so I would believe the year designation from the seller of the mats.

Also, if you have recently ordered your model X we are already into the 2021 model year.

Also, if you have recently ordered your model X we are already into the 2021 model year.
Just curious. As far as I have heard or understood is Tesla doesn't designate a model year. Only that it was built in a certain year. Then that doesn't even matter rather having an X with certain capabilities before or after a build date for the new features. I have seen several folks say they have a 2021 Tesla and was wondering if that was reality or assumed based on traditional car manufacturing.

The second row was totally different during the first few year of the X - each seat in the second row was on it's own post (monopost). Now, the second row on the 7 seater and 5 seater is essentially the bench from the Model S.. makes for very different cut outs on the mats. The front mats should probably be the same for all the years

Just curious. As far as I have heard or understood is Tesla doesn't designate a model year. Only that it was built in a certain year. Then that doesn't even matter rather having an X with certain capabilities before or after a build date for the new features. I have seen several folks say they have a 2021 Tesla and was wondering if that was reality or assumed based on traditional car manufacturing.

Yes and no. Every VIN number has information about the official model year. That might be different from actual build date. These numbers might affect the market value of a Tesla in an aftermarket situation, which is one reason why people want to have the latest.

Additionally, Tesla has recently introduced several updates to the Model 3 and Model Y. Furthermore, there are also rumors that the Model S and Model X are getting a refresh, supported partly by the long shutdown near year end 2020.

So, this time, maybe the model year has more meaning than before. Who knows, maybe this becomes a new tradition. As Elon has said, Best Process is No Process - similarly Best Change is No Change.

As for the floor mats... I wouldn't order the mats beforehand, unless with the intention to jinx it.

Last edited:
Just curious. As far as I have heard or understood is Tesla doesn't designate a model year. Only that it was built in a certain year.
As noted above, the VIN includes a designation of the year. Tesla used to flip this digit at the end of the calendar year. Starting last year, they have been doing it in the Fall with timing more consistent with other car manufacturers. This year, I think the new model year coincided with the model 3 mini-refresh and the 371 mile range for the model X. As Tesla will continue making changes throughout the year, manufacturing date still has heightened importance to define a car’s features in the long-term. Nevertheless, the Tesla 2021 model year has definitely started already.

Reactions: rush6410
I’ve read that there’s a small difference in the floor pan of the early Model Xs. And researching on the Tesla site for all weather mats, It looks like 10/16/17 and earlier differ from 10/17/17 and newer.

39E4EFEB-5DCA-4001-9FBA-C6CC3A089D64.jpeg